PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

thanksgiving dinner favorites?

okay, i will confess, i don't like turkey. nor do i like mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, or really, pumpkin pie. so you'd think that i wouldn't be sitting on the couch, stuffed beyond belief?

well, my uncle brought over these little rolls, and man, are they good with butter and raspberry jelly. i think between last night and today, i've eaten about a dozen.

so what's your favorite part of the actual dinner?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: thanksgiving dinner favorites?

Mmmmm, pumpkin pie for me I can do without everything else so long as there's a spare pumpkin pie. My girlfriend made an awesome baked pumpkin cheesecake this year that was very good too.

Alright, didn't think it possible after yesterday but, man am I hungry...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Mine was a green salad made with bleu cheese, japanese pears, home-made caramelized pecans, gr onions and avocados. Topped with a dijon dressing. It's heaven.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

I love mashed potatoes and gravey! Fudge for sure.. and a recipe my mom always made that I now make which is basically a caramelized onion.. basically 6 onions. Cut in slices and placed in a 9X13. Melt 1/4 stick butter and 1/3 cup honey. Drizzle over onions and bake at 375 for 45 min. (I believe thats what it was.) Until golden. GOOD!

I also like stuffing (stovetop! lol) I dont care much for turkey, love ham. Olives, pickles..

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Alright, that massive plate of leftovers just cured me of any thoughts of favorite Thanksgiving food
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I love it all, the turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, my grandmas home made buns & lefse, and corn. I love to put a little butter on my lefse, roll it up and dip it in the gravy.

I love it all, but what I really look forward to is the fruit punch and cheese ball my grandma makes. It's nothing special, but a small plate of cheese and crackers, and a couple of glasses of punch really takes the edge off because I'm always starving when I get there. I'm heading over to moms to see what she has for leftovers!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Turkey, mashed potatoes and turnips, stuffing, cranberries and green beans. Finished with a small slice of cheese cake, pumpkin, mince and apple pie, along with coffee of course. Last course was the most important, two rolaids plus.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

You can't have thanksgiving without turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed corn, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Unfortunately, I didn't get any sweet potatoes this year.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    .....my grandma makes. It's nothing special
    Yeah, it is. Food doesn't have to be award winning to be a tradition that makes the holiday. Take a look at Harrison's post in VF on his D300 and Family Matters - you might think differently on this; the end of it is a sad story just so you're all aware (not picking on Mike here, just a tie-in to the thought). My grandma made wonderful pies from scratch but oddly enough as kids we looked forward to the thing she called "tootsie rolls". These were just the leftover scraps of dough, covered in a little bit of cinammon sugar, rolled up, sliced thin and baked that way. Simple, good stuff...

But I'm a fan of stuffing. Has to have raisins in it too. The other stuff is required, but the stuffing makes it Thanksgiving.

We always have American food as well as Arabic food. I always look forward to the stuffing, but I really enjoy the Arabic food that we don't get too often. Kibbee, hummus, tripe and grape leaves are always my favorite.

The problem is, with two different foods, I have to eat twice as much.. It is a curse really, but I make it... Ummmm now I am hungry again...
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You're right Steve, it is a very special part of the day/meal for me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information