PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Spammers are spoiling the site..

I have noticed recently the number of threads being hijacked by the Spammers. Surely there is something we can do to stop what is becoming a very annoying trait...:cryin::cryin::cryin::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Re: Spammers are spoiling the site..

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    I have noticed recently the number of threads being hijacked by the Spammers. Surely there is something we can do to stop what is becoming a very annoying trait...:cryin::cryin::cryin::mad2::mad2::mad2:
    I sent you an E-Mail, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff.

This is a world-wide site. Most of the Spammers seem to be in the Asia-Pacific timezone. You're in the European timezone. Most of the people who do the cleaning-up are in the Americas timezone. So sometimes you see SPAM for a few hours then the Moderators get on it and remove it.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

GB1

I've also noticed an increasing number of lookers on the critique forum, people who look but never comment. Not uncommon to see 100/1 or so ratio of lookers/responders. Definitely a shallow trend.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

See what I mean. I have never known a site this bad....

Sorry about that. We actually work really hard to eliminate spam. I deleted two replies from this thread before writing this reply.

I'm sure there's a huge amount that you never see because our moderators remove it before you get a chance to see it. One of the reasons it appears that spammers are "hijacking threads," is we recently made a change preventing new members from starting threads. They have to post a minimum number of replies first. That forced the spammers to post in threads instead of starting new ones. They also can't post links in their replies, except as signatures. The bottom line is that we take the spam problem very seriously. Unfortunately, the reality is, spam is a part of life on the Internet. We will do our best to keep it down but there will always be some. Spammers are some of the most sophisticated Internet users and as fast as we come up with ways to prevent spam, they come up with new ways to get around them.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

You would really be amazed how much spam you never see. If the moderators took a day off you would get a very big eye opener on just how much spam there really is. All you see is a tiny fraction of what gets posted. Often I delete many while they are still on line posting, due to me checking often. All the moderators are working hard to make this site as free from spam as possible, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really do appreciate the work that goes on in the background. I myself moderate two forums, but we do not get spam through at all. That said there are not the same number of members, but they have security in place to prevent it. I do not know the details, but honestly this is the worst I know for spam and you do not have to put up with it.....

It may be that being across the pond means that the spammers are getting in while you guys are all sleeping but that does not help us over here. Maybe spread your moderators out so European ones can get rid of spam at different times....I really like this site, but do find myself not bothering when I open up in a morning and see all that rubbish waiting for me. Sorry to be so negative, but frustration is getting to me..

Just signed up, can't create a thread to ask what cam I should get.
    I moderate a large forum, and putting measures in place to stop spammers is easy, like setting new members first post to be moderator approved. The current system you guys have is a bit rubbish. For me to ask my question I will now have to spam 5 threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
    Just signed up, can't create a thread to ask what cam I should get.
    I moderate a large forum, and putting measures in place to stop spammers is easy, like setting new members first post to be moderator approved. The current system you guys have is a bit rubbish. For me to ask my question I will now have to spam 5 threads.
    Thanks for the idea. I'll see if that option is possible.

And you don't have to spam five threads. You can actually participate by posting relevant comments. There's tons of good stuff on the forums that should be worth commenting on.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi I am a new one in this site.This is a world-wide site. Thanks for aware about spammers.I really do appreciate the work that goes on in the background .

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Thanks for the idea. I'll see if that option is possible.

And you don't have to spam five threads. You can actually participate by posting relevant comments. There's tons of good stuff on the forums that should be worth commenting on.
    Thats if you know enough to be able to give constructive +ve comments. Otherwise some struggle and give up on the forum.
    Spammers spoil it for all. I'm not sure that there is a easy fix. Moderators can be used to help keep the place clean.

Now is it just me or has something changed?Over the last week, I have not come across any spam whilst browsing the site.....Very nice it has been to, so if someone has thrown a switch somewhere, well done!!

Is it possible to install a mod which makes users type one of those capchas before they are to submit their post?

And then once they reach 10 or 20 posts it can turn off again because they're obviously not a spam bot

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Captchas are used to join but not afterwards.
    I have a heck of a time with them myself and wouldn't need one now but would hate to have to try to figure one out to post.
    Also, this was brought up in moderateor's forum and there are actually programs to decipher them and people paid to interpret them...probably 20 cents a day or something.
    Its an idea though and I'm sure PJ will consider it.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Suggestions. I'm not an admin or moderator anywhere, nor do I play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently. But I am an IT guy (which is why running a board is the last thing I want to be doing! )

Registration should include not just a captcha, but an email with a verification link, basically an anti-bot thing. I really don't remember if I had to do that here, so I apologize if I'm suggesting something already being done.

Additionally, on other forums I'm at, all boards are locked to new users except one, usually called "new users," and they can't post anywhere until a mod sees real words in their "hello" post and unlocks their account. They can't even post there until the email verification link has been done. The new users board can be a place for existing users to greet and welcome, but that's not really the point, the point is to test the human-ness of the new account.

i hate spammers.. get lost.:mad2:

Fishing - it's a miracle! Fishing Shop Shirley

What is the best site to go to if I need to find the name of a song and all I have are the lyrics?
    if you know the title to this song that would be great! the lyrics are,What day is itAnd in what monthThis clock never seemed so aliveI can't keep upAnd I can't back downI've been losing so much time/(chorus)Cause it's you and meAnd all of the peopleWith nothing to doNothing to loseAnd it's you and meAnd all of the peopleAnd I don't know whyI can't keep my eyes off of you/Well all of the thingsThat I wanna sayJust aren't coming out rightI'm tripping on wordsYou got my head spinningI don't know where to go from here/(chorus)Something about you nowI can't quite figure outEverything she does is beautifulEverything she does is bright/(chorus 2x)What day is itand in what monththis clock never seemed so alive

Where is the best place in Penang, Malaysia to stay and do these activities?
    I am going to Penang in November this year.I have 2 choices either Tanjung Bungah or Batu Ferringhi.In Tanjung Bungah either Tanjung Bungah Beach or Copthorne Orchid hotel.In Batu Ferringhi either HYDRO MAJESTIC or D'feringghi hotel.I m lookin 4 scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, horse riding, banana boat, jet ski, parasailing, catamaran sailing, etc...The trip will be for two people....What is the best area and hotel that you suggest me, please?Thank youBest Regards...............

Well I was quick enough to complain, so credit where credit is due. For some time now I am noticing less and less spammers on the site. Not sure if anything has been done but it is a much nicer place to visit now..

Thread Information