PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sick kitty

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

sick kitty

Our Loseley has been very sick the last couple of days.
    Yesterday to the point of almost not eating, moving, and falling over.
    She is the oldest cat on our vet's books at 24* so it's not unexpected.

Yesterday she didn't come in, so I used the tracker in her collar to find her.
    Unfortunately in next door's garden where we couldn't get to her.
    When Loseley finally staggered in, Angie picked the cat up and took her straight back to bed to warm up as it had been near zero the night before and the cat was really cold (yes, despite wearing fur) and obviously in trouble.
    Puss didn't get better during the day, not moving, head going up and down as she breathed, not taking any interest in her surroundings, or in food, almost fallimg over as she sat by the food/water bowls ... so in the afternoon Angie took her to the vet.

She has the usual lumps and bumps of an old cat, but also the vet can feel lumps in her stomach so it's suspected cancer.
    We had a scare a couple of years ago on that score, but it turned out to be arthiritis which was stopping her walking and going onto metacam NSAID gave her another 2 years.

After injections of antibiotic, vitamin B12 and anti-inflamamtory ... Vet instructions? Take home, give her treats and special attention.
    Come back on Friday ... didn't say if she's still with us but implied.

She is back on her paws today.
    Even been eating a little food and going up and down stairs.
    However the cat flap is staying locked from now on as it's down to -3C tonight.

She's lost her spark, and I think it's only a matter of time now.
    I still get a "prrrrrrrrp?" each time I pass her box, so she still recognises me.
    She still feeds occasionally, but seems to have some jaw trouble.
    Which might explain why she also has trouble drinking.

She just drops her head in the water, snorts it up her nose, sneezes and sits up again.
    The only way she drinks is by leaning right the way to the back of the bowl, putting her nose almost on the bowl, and then lapping.
    She's getting water, and her kidneys are still functioning judging by the puddle on the kitchen floor (thanks, cat) but she just isn't right.

We're mixing the anti-inflammatory with milk, and syringe feeding her - much to her displeasure - and that is keeping her mobile. If it wasn't mixed with a bribe of warm milk, I think she'd just spit it out

So far, looks like she's going back tomorrow.
    But how long she'll carry on, I don't know.

*From Purina:
    Experts generally agree that the first two years of a cat's life are roughly equal to the first 25 of a human. Thereafter, each additional year equals approximately four 'cat years'.
    Their chart only goes up to 19/92 so extrapolating for our cat - 112 !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sick kitty-p1070764.jpg   sick kitty-p1070769.jpg   sick kitty-p1070762.jpg  
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: sick kitty

Sorry to hear that Paul, my heart goes out to you. As I mentioned in an earlier post this week, my 13 year old Golden Retriever passed away this week in her sleep at the side of my bed. It's been a long week.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I'm sorry, Paul. You know I love the kitty cats.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yeah, I thought of both of you.
    With Parker and Cinnamon you've both been through it.
    I've been working from home a couple of days because Angie is having a hard time dealing with it, as well as being unable to bend over since she's recovering from surgery.
    PAul

Liz

Paul,

I'm so sorry about your friend Losely. She is part of your family and it's very hard to deal with especially since she has been with you for such a long time. She is a beautiful kitty, even now (nice photos), but it's obvious she is very weak.

I hope you're able to keep Losely comfortable - keep us posted.

Liz

She is such a pretty little thing! I'm sorry she is not doing so well Its hard to see them that way.

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Sorry to hear your news, Paul. The amount of time you've spent with her doesn't make it any easier I'm sure. That's an amazing life though - born in 1983?!

Yep, she almost came with the house
    She adjusted fairly well to me getting married, and has trained Angie nicely.
    Today instead of the special prescription diet cat food she was getting liver sausage from Angie's lunch, plus a little bit of finger if the cat had been a mite quicker.
    But her get up and go got up and went, and she's making hard work of eating and drinking.
    PAul

She went outside today, after the sun removed all the frost.
    Tried to recycle herself into a kitten perhaps?
    The black lid to the bin absorbs the heat and makes a good outdoor bed.
    But she's stubborn !
    Fill a water bowl with fresh clean water, she goes for green, scummy water with ice in it.
    But why is she licking old mortar?
    That's the point I encouraged her to move back into the garden ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sick kitty-p1070871.jpg   sick kitty-p1070802.jpg   sick kitty-p1070797.jpg   sick kitty-p1070897.jpg   sick kitty-p1070822.jpg  

PAul

PAul, I love all of the kitty pics and sorry to hear she's been so ill. I'll be thinking of the three of you.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Thanks, how is your recovery going ?
    Loseley was well enough for us to go shopping today, I might get a night's sleep tonight.
    PAul

Isn't it amazing how on the way to the vet, they won't go in the carrier.
    When they get there they won't come out.
    On the way home, they can't wait to get back in the carrier.

She's up and walking, but the prognosis is poor.
    We're taking each day at a time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sick kitty-p1070772.jpg  
    PAul

As a cat lover, I am sorry to hear about Loseley. You are so lucky to have her for so long, I hope my cat will live as long. Hugs and kisses

Thanks.
    You can tell by the 1am posting I haven't left her yet, I was planning to go to sleep - honest !
    I think she's getting fed up of the camera now, but I'm determined to have plenty of shots.
    PAul

Sorry to hear your kitty is having such a hard time, Paul. I hope she pulls through. She sounds like a fighter.

Her coloration looks just like my girlfriends new kitten, down to the yellow stripe on her nose.

Paul

Thanks Paul.
    The vet's done a pretty good job so far.
    Loseley was up and down the stairs 3 or 4 times in the night, which beats last Wednesday barely being able to stay upright while laying down.

Do not tell your girlfiend about the "naughty tortie" kitty she's got.
    I don't know what it is about tortoiseshell female cats, but they are very strong willed.

Tortoiseshell: maternal | quick-witted | Naughty, hot-tempered, temperamental
    http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resou...ats/015-06.htm
    They got our cat down to a T !

"A scientific explanation has been offered for the "tortie temperament". Female cats inherit an X chromosome from the mother and from the father. To be tortie, a female has the "O" gene on one X chromosome, but no "O" gene on her other X chromosome. During embryo formation, each cell of the embryo randomly switches off one or other X chromosome (X chromosome inactivation). On the skin, this shows as red and black patches and is known as mosaicism. The switching off takes place in all tissues of the body, including the brain cells. The naughty tortie temperament may be due to X chromosome inactivation in the brain tissues - the brain is a mosaic of 2 types of cell, some with the mother's X chromosome and some with the father's X chromosome. This may cause a mixed-up temperament as well as a mixed up coat pattern."
    http://www.messybeast.com/colour-tempment.htm
    PAul

Liz

Paul,

I'm glad she is hanging in there, and from what you say she must be feeling a bit better.

Speaking of their carrier behavior, I dread taking Jeremy to the vet. He always uses the carrier for a litterbox on the way home from the vet. Once when he went to get groomed (which hardly ever happens - bath and all). By the time we arrived home, he had to have another one. No matter how I try to prevent this, it happens every time - and the strangest part is that he waits until we're about a block from home - then I hear him scratching the carrier - and I'm yelling "NO PLEASE, JEREMY, PLEASE! Oh well!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Thanks Paul.
    The vet's done a pretty good job so far.
    Loseley was up and down the stairs 3 or 4 times in the night, which beats last Wednesday barely being able to stay upright while laying down.

Do not tell your girlfiend about the "naughty tortie" kitty she's got.
    I don't know what it is about tortoiseshell female cats, but they are very strong willed.

Tortoiseshell: maternal | quick-witted | Naughty, hot-tempered, temperamental
    http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resou...ats/015-06.htm
    They got our cat down to a T !

"A scientific explanation has been offered for the "tortie temperament". Female cats inherit an X chromosome from the mother and from the father. To be tortie, a female has the "O" gene on one X chromosome, but no "O" gene on her other X chromosome. During embryo formation, each cell of the embryo randomly switches off one or other X chromosome (X chromosome inactivation). On the skin, this shows as red and black patches and is known as mosaicism. The switching off takes place in all tissues of the body, including the brain cells. The naughty tortie temperament may be due to X chromosome inactivation in the brain tissues - the brain is a mosaic of 2 types of cell, some with the mother's X chromosome and some with the father's X chromosome. This may cause a mixed-up temperament as well as a mixed up coat pattern."
    http://www.messybeast.com/colour-tempment.htm
    Wow, you just described Callie. The day she brought this 6 month old, 7 pound, female to meet her 7 year old, 16 pound, male, "big brother," I was afraid for Callie. Turns out big brother is a not so tough, because Callie took charge the second they met and she's been in charge since.

It's an emotional roller coaster ride.

She was well enough for a little attention, and even talked to me last weekend.

Last night she decided not to use her box, but slept on my plastic bag of seldom used camera rechargers in the hall by the fire extinguisher.
    I moved her back into her box, but I guess her awkward, cussed side took over, and she went back to the bag after I'd gone to bed ... she was stiff and had trouble walking this morning.

Now she's decided her sleeping spot is going to be behind the TV in the corner where we can't get to her easily.
    She's still having trouble lapping water, and is grinding her teeth very noisily when eating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sick kitty-p1070930-edit.jpg   sick kitty-p1070941.jpg  
    PAul

Liz

That's a great photo of the two of you. From what you describe, it sounds like she still has that normal cat attitude and still prefers to make her own decisions.

Once again, great shot. She looks quite at peace when you're holding her.

Liz

That's a very touching photo of the two of you PAul.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Thanks, I just gave the camera to Mrs Wombat and said "press the button"
    I was talking to the cat, getting her to relax and pose.
    A few tickles, a little neck massage (the cat, not Angie) and this was the result.

Angie decided that the real photo was me talking to the cat, rather than the posed one of Loseley looking at the camera.
    So Give her the credit.

I've had Loseley from a little kitten who sat in the palm of my hand, shared my pillow, and quickly grew up and had kittens of her own. I've helped her give birth, watched over her litters of kittens as they grew, and now it's looking daily closer to her end.
    We've had mice, rats, and even a bat offered up to us pink blobs as if we were retarded kittens who needed to be taught to hunt.
    Our skills at opening cat food tins and pouches have been greatly appreciated as she lost the ability to catch rodents.
    But only on her terms, when she wants, do we get any affection and time to stroke and cuddle our cat.

A friend suggested all intelligent species in the universe are owned by cats.
    She might be right
    PAul

Before she was ill, she slept outside when she felt like it.
    We found our camo-cat in the garden, soaking wet one morning, about a week before she fell ill.
    She did not take kindly to being towel dried, or cuddled, or kissed (sorry Angie).

Also she found some strange sleeping spots.
    I forgot to lock the keyboard and woke up early in the morning to "beep, beep, beep"
    Glad she didn't manage to delete anything
    But I half expected to find the pc logged in to alt.rec.catnip !

I wish now she could climb up there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sick kitty-p1070521.jpg   sick kitty-p1070528.jpg   sick kitty-p1070542-edit.jpg  
    PAul

It's wonderful reading about your precious cat. The picture of her on the keyboard brought a huge smile to my face.

I don't have a cat, but two beloved dogs and one on the way. My pets enrich my life. There's nothing like the love and trust of our beloved pets. We thought we were going to lose our beagle this spring. It was a difficult time for her and us. She did make a big turn for the better and is doing well now.

Anyway, I'll be sending positive thoughts to Loseley, you & Angie.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Awww Paul, I'm so sorry that your cat isn't well. I just read this thread today. The whole story made me cry. I love cats too.
    Hugs, Lara
    Lara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information