PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Saw "Broken Flowers" on DVD. Great change of pace for Bill Murray...

FInally saw Broken Flowers on DVD, the 2005 Jim Jarmusch film starring Bill Murray. I thoroughly enjoyed it because it was so different, but I know it won't come close to being everyone's cup of tea.

If you're looking for an anti-Hollywood movie with Murray in a role wonderfully different than what you're used to, I think you should check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412019/

In the film, Murray plays a middle-aged life-long womanizer who breaks up with his current girl friend. He seems lost about what he wants his life and especially his relationships to be.

At the same time, he gets an odd anonymous letter from an ex telling him that he fathered a son with her nearly twenty years ago, and she never told him.

Without giving too much of the story away, his detective-story-writing neighbor gets caught up in the mystery and eventualy convinces Murray to take an adventurous trip to various parts of the country to visit a handful of past loves that may hold the key (or at least a clue) to who this son may be.

This is a very minimilist film with an independent feel and virtually none of the usual Hollywood trappings, and Murray is great as a decidedly low-key character. There is very little traditional background music (but great soundtrack music that he actually listens to in the movie), and many extended scenes with no dialogue or action, often with Murray sitting and contemplating events as they unfold.

The ex-girlfriends (some great cameos from well-known actresses) and scenarios that Murray discovers on his quest are quirky and oddly funny at times, and as the film progresses, many life issues common to us all are unveiled that really make you think.

I should also warn you that this film raises many more questions than it ever answers, and the viewer is kind of left to decide on their own what exactly they think has happend by the end of it, so if you're one that needs every little thing wrapped up in a neat package, you'll most likely be disappointed by the ending.

This is not the kind of movie I could watch all the time, but as a switch from blockbuster action/adventure fare, it was very refreshing... :thumbsup:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Saw "Broken Flowers" on DVD. Great change of pace for Bill Murray...

We saw the preview for this. It's probably something we'll pick up. I liked him in Lost in Translation as well.

It's odd to watch him in something that's not a flat out comedy. Everytime I see him I think of him tied to a front of a boat. "I"M SAILING...."
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I liked him in Lost in Translation as well...
    Well, that's probably the film that most will compare it to, but it really is completely different even from that. In LIT, Murray was very funny, just in the context of a fairly straight and dramatic story.

In BF, the humor is incredibly low-key, and comes from him being almost totally unaffected by the unusual circumstances he finds himself in...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I saw this one a few months ago. We were very disappointed. All the "independent awards" hype brought us to it, but it just didn't deliver for us. Like you guys, we sat down expecting to see Lost in Translation. We didn't. It's not that the film didn't have its moments. The whole scene with Sharon Stone comes to mind. But when the credits rolled, we both shouted at the screen: "THAT'S IT?!" Anti-climax doesn't begin to describe the ending. Take Steve's warning if you like tidy endings.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Like you guys, we sat down expecting to see Lost in Translation. We didn't...
    The funny thing is, I was disappointed by Lost in Translation, oddly enough, for roughly the same reason you mention with this film.

LiT had sooooo much hype, including the Oscar buzz over Murray's role, I think I built it up way too much in my mind. I enjoyed the film, but found nothing special about it, and pretty much saw Murray playing the same character he's played in many of his films.

Love the guy, and he made me laugh in LiT too, but no way I thought it was Oscar-worthy.

BUT, I was very glad to see him finally get the credit as an actor...:thumbsup:

BTW, they made the fashion/band photographer in LiT look like an idiot. I think on a subconsious level, that really bothered me, heh heh ...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I enjoyed the film, but found nothing special about it, and pretty much saw Murray playing the same character he's played in many of his films.
    I really saw Lost in Translation as a departure for Murray, and Broken Flowers as an attempt at following Lost in Translation. That's interesting that you saw him as playing the same character as in his other films. I thought he was pretty unique.

I didn't think Murray's performance in Lost was Oscar-worthy either. A nice departure, yes. But the real stars of that film were Scarlet Johnanson (sp?) and Sophia Coppola, who directed it splendidly. Take a look at the DVD extras if you have the chance.

OT, if you're a Scarlet Johanson fan, check out Woddy Allen's Match Point. Terrible movie, but she's scrumpdidilyumptous in it
    Walter Rick Long

That's interesting that you saw him as playing the same character as in his other films.
    Well, not the same character, but I think he's shown that side of him in some of his other films...

Take a look at the DVD extras if you have the chance.
    Yeah, have it. That's the thing. When I read the reviews I ran out and bought the movie. BTW, I think the best part of the DVD extras was the "broadcast" of that wacky Japanese TV show that Murray's character goes on.

OT, if you're a Scarlet Johanson fan, check out Woddy Allen's Match Point. Terrible movie, but she's scrumpdidilyumptous in it
    Yep, wanna see it. What's funny is that I first saw Johansson in The Horse Whisperer, not long before I saw LiT. I remember thinking, "wow, this is the same girl???"

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

WOW, I didn't realize that was her in the Horse Wisperer! Now I have to go watch that again. Er, maybe fast forward.

She disappointed me a little in In Good Company (with Topher Grace)

Have you seen The Life Aquatic? Very long, boring movie, but another change of pace for Murray.
    Walter Rick Long

Have you seen The Life Aquatic? Very long, boring movie, but another change of pace for Murray.
    Yep. Loved it... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information