PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

GPS question........

I have a Garmin Nuivi 650 - my first GPS. I really like it - except the maps needed updated when I bought it so have to do this online.

It did not come with a so-called manual - and I can't locate an answer to this question or a solution to the problem:

Last week when I tried to get the "favorites" (saved addresses), they were gone - except for "home."

Is this a battery problem? IOW - do I need to take it inside when the weather is cold? I thought most people just leave it in their car - hot or cold? If it's not a battery problem, any thoughts as to what it would be?

Thanks!

Liz

Re: GPS question........

It may be a battery issue, but I'd be surprised. I've only let my Garmin go dead once, and that was right after I got it. I normally take mine in, but it's more of a security issue than a battery issue- GPS devices are one of the main causes of car break-ins in my area.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    It may be a battery issue, but I'd be surprised. I've only let my Garmin go dead once, and that was right after I got it. I normally take mine in, but it's more of a security issue than a battery issue- GPS devices are one of the main causes of car break-ins in my area.

- Joe U.
    It must be the battery because I leave the Garmin in the trunk most of the time in a nylon lunch bag when it's not in use - in all weather.

Thanks for the reply.

Liz

Liz,

I have a Garmin Zumo for my Harley, and the automatic turn off feature quit working, which would allow the battery to discharge, loosing data stored in the temporary files. Now I ALWAYS manualy turn it off when not in use, especially when removed from the bike.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by w.slayman
    Liz,

I have a Garmin Zumo for my Harley, and the automatic turn off feature quit working, which would allow the battery to discharge, loosing data stored in the temporary files. Now I ALWAYS manualy turn it off when not in use, especially when removed from the bike.
    Bill,

Thanks...........I think this may be a further confirmation that it is the battery. Most of the time I turn it off; however, if it sits in 25F weather, the battery is going to drain completely. I didn't think it would lose data, though. My laptop doesn't lose data when the battery is drained - so I assumed the Garmin would be the same.

Thanks again........

Liz

Thread Information