• 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
    Asylum Steve
    As punishment for our Midwest sinners...
    A plague of...CICADAS???????? :eek:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Technology/...C-RSSFeeds0312

All you guys up that way, get ready for some big ugly bug FUN!

Let's see some great cicadas shots. You might have to wait another 17 years for another chance... :D
  • 05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
    adina
    Re: As punishment for our Midwest sinners...
    Oh god I read about that. I don't mind the noise, but the article I read said they are clumsy flyers and may crash into you. Plus I have an outdoor wedding over the last weekend they said they are expected to emmerge.

ICK!
  • 05-21-2007, 12:51 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Plus I have an outdoor wedding over the last weekend they said they are expected to emmerge...

Hmmm, should make for some interesting wedding pics.

"Here comes the bride. All dressed in...BUGS?!?"... :cryin:
  • 05-21-2007, 01:17 PM
    JSPhoto
    We went thorugh this two years ago....I guess they can't count too well, we better send them to private schools instead of public schools. :D

JS
  • 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
    mwfanelli
    Fwiw...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    We went thorugh this two years ago....I guess they can't count too well, we better send them to private schools instead of public schools. :D

Different species of cicadas have different cycles. They range from 2 years up to 17 years for each species (over 200 I think).
  • 05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
    drg
    If they are thick enough, you can scoop them up with a shovel.

Adina, your puppy may eat some, don't freak, they won't hurt the dog. Just pull the wings off first before munching, the wings are too fibrous.

I had some chocolate (Ghiradelli no less) covered one's in the recent past. Big Crunchy Chocolates! Better than ants . . .

We get a few Cicadas every year or two. I've got the 180/2.8 all ready to shoot.
  • 05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
    adina
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drg

Adina, your puppy may eat some, don't freak, they won't hurt the dog. Just pull the wings off first before munching, the wings are too fibrous.

Oh man. That's so gross.

Not that she doesn't eat everything else. Pinecones, sticks, leaves, chewed up gum she finds on the sidewalk...
  • 05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
    JSPhoto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Oh man. That's so gross.

Not that she doesn't eat everything else. Pinecones, sticks, leaves, chewed up gum she finds on the sidewalk...

Cassie wanted to play catch today with a pinecone....oh well, at least it wasn't a dead mouse this time :eek:

JS
  • 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
    Frog
    I'm sure the wedding party doesn't want to be overrun with cicadas but it may be a good way to have your photos published.
    Birds will be happy, I bet.
  • 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
    adina
    update...

haven't seen any yet. hoping they don't all show up on Saturday.
  • 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM
    mjs1973
    They are in isolated areas, even tho the maps cover a huge area. You may have to drive a little bit to find them, I'm sure I will. I did hear a story on NPR about a chef in Chicago that has been finding them, and eating them. :)
  • 05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    1 Attachment(s)
    this is the scene in Lake Geneva at my in-laws house .... wierd thing is a few blocks away they have yet to see a single one ....

her place is just covered with them ... I have yet to see any here either (close to racine)
  • 05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
    SmartWombat
    Macros please !!
  • 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    when i get out there next i will get some macros