PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Are 3rd party cell chargers OK to use?

Verizon "warns" not to use 3rd party cell chargers. However, many 3rd party chargers are for sale on Amazon and other places. Verizon states 3rd party chargers can result in the cell phone not working. And it will cancel the warranty.

I purchased the "CyonGear" car charger from Amazon which states it is for the Verizon EnV3 (my new cell) for $8.95 - Verizon charges $29.95 for their car charger. I didn't read the Verizon "warning" until after purchase. Now I'm hesitant to use it.

Thanks for any information.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Are 3rd party cell chargers OK to use?

Some phones are smart enough to know what charger is being used. Apple iPhone is one.
    Other than that, for simple phones like the old Nokias it's just an ordinary plug and they won't know.
    It's another way for the manufacturers to make more money by having different chargers that can't be used with other devices, and preventing other chargers working with their phones.

Cheap chargers may be fine. Really cheap chargers may not have the same protection devices built into prevent over charging - though I expect that normally to be the phone's internal charging circuit doing that, not the external charger.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Verizon "warns" not to use 3rd party cell chargers. However, many 3rd party chargers are for sale on Amazon and other places. Verizon states 3rd party chargers can result in the cell phone not working. And it will cancel the warranty.

I purchased the "CyonGear" car charger from Amazon which states it is for the Verizon EnV3 (my new cell) for $8.95 - Verizon charges $29.95 for their car charger. I didn't read the Verizon "warning" until after purchase. Now I'm hesitant to use it.

Thanks for any information.

Liz
    I use a no-name charger from Amazon for my AT&T cell phone. After a year of use, I've had no problems.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

I bought a no name charging kit that comes with an outlet for the house and car with interchangeable plug ins so I can charge my Blackberry or iPod at home or on the go.. so far no problems.

Liz

Thanks for the info Paul & Mike - and for sharing your experiences.

My big concern is the warranty if something happens. I got my phone free. It is retailing at $349 or more. Verizon price with a 2 yr. plan was $199. I got $100 off because I haven't purchased a new phone in about 2 years or more - and $50 off for their holiday sale came to $3 (whatever the $3 was for).

However, if I mess up the phone and lose the warranty, I pay $349 for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by fOTOGLIF
    I bought a no name charging kit that comes with an outlet for the house and car with interchangeable plug ins so I can charge my Blackberry or iPod at home or on the go.. so far no problems.
    Thanks! Does your phone information anywhere warn you not to use 3rd party chargers? That statement is what concerns me most. I know there are cameras today that will not use other chargers without doing serious damage (Panasonic for instance - newer p&s cameras).

Thanks!

Liz

Thread Information