PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Ghost

After two years, I FINALLY bought a road bike

I've been wanting a road bike for some time now but never justified the expense because I wasn't riding enough. Biking is now my primary form of exercise and I enjoy the feeling much more than I used to. I decided to finally get a road bike and spent the last three days visiting all the local bike shops and test riding bikes.

I originally had my eye on the Specialized Allez Elite but thought the Trek 1500 was a hot looking bike. I then rode the Giant OCR1 and that bike fit me very well.

In the end, I decided on the Felt F60 which, while a few hundred more than the others, had better components and the bike store that sold it to me made me feel very comfortble with them (unlike a few others). The F60 came with everything I knew I wanted and more with the exception of the saddle which I'll be replacing soon.

My previous setup was an old $300 mtn bike with road tires. It got the job done but once I got to the point where I could actually ride the thing I became annoyed with the small size (it was too small for me), heavy weight, and gearing ratio (I needed more top end to go faster).

Anyway, here she is I also added a photo of my old bike from California. I'm very glad I took that photo with the grapevines behind the bike because it's pretty much all I have to remind me of bike riding in the wine country.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: After two years, I FINALLY bought a road bike

Sweet! I wish I had a new bike. I made a costly mistake a few years ago, buying a heavy bike with thick off-road wheels, and it really discouraged my riding. So the thing is nearly brand new in the basement, unused. I should probably try to sell it.

Your new one looks really nice. Probably worth every penny you paid.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congrats Trevor, looks like a pretty sweet ride. I haven't been biking as much as I would like to, but hopefully that will change. I'm signed up for a 150mile ride for the MS society in August so I better get my butt in shape, both for the ride, and for the bike saddle.

I have a Bontragger Cycle saddle that is like new sitting in my basement. It's yours if you want it. PM and let me know.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

wheww...sweet ride. I think you made the better decision to buy the bike with better componets.

Faster shifts, and just better reliability will go a long way.

Great purchase...and be safe out on the roads.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Ghost

Kelly,

I did the same thing as you when I originally bought the mountain bike. (It's about 8 years old!) About 3 years ago I dusted it off and took it for a ride. I brought it to the bike shop to get tuned and got the idea to put regular road tires on it instead of the knobbies.

That was the best decision I could have made for myself. I don't know if it's always the case, but I was amazed at the difference a set of road tires made. I think they were only like $15 to $30 total with tubes.

If you still think you may want to ride it instead of selling it, take the front wheel to the bike store and see if they have some road tires for it.

Or sell it

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    wheww...sweet ride. I think you made the better decision to buy the bike with better componets.

Faster shifts, and just better reliability will go a long way.

Great purchase...and be safe out on the roads.

Loren
    Thanks Loren. One thing I've already noticed about where I'm at in Illinois is that the general auto driver is less educated about bike riding than in Northern California. I don't feel as safe riding around here as I did in California. They seem a little more impatient and much more annoyed than California drivers when they have to move a little to the left to avoid hitting me on the road.

For now I've found a few good shoulders with plenty of safe miles to ride on. I'm on the edge of a large city and farmland so it's pretty good and flat riding around here.

Trevor,

Nice new toy to have. I usually try to stay cheap however, with my last mountain bike it ended up bent around a tree....whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    For now I've found a few good shoulders with plenty of safe miles to ride on. I'm on the edge of a large city and farmland so it's pretty good and flat riding around here.
    Do you know about the former railroad that was converted to a trail? Being a non-rider I don't know much about it but it's obviously very flat. I do have a bike but bought it in high school. I think there's been a couple of technological advances since then... That trail parallels HWY 173 in Boone/McHenry county area - basically a little west of where you live, and heading west. I know it goes thru Harvard, Capron and Caledonia.

Don't tell Trevor that somebody leaned a bike up against his new car!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm not sure what the "rails to trails" bike trails are like in your area, but around here, there pretty decent for riding. We have one that runs about 50 miles from Dodgeville to Madison, that is nice and smooth for riding. That one is open to walkers/runners, and bikes in the sumemer. If your trials are like this one, it's well worth the ride. We also have one that runs about 50 or so miles from Mineral Point to Monroe, that is not so great. That one is open to just about anything other than cars and trucks so you have to deal with ATV's, horses, dirtbikes, and rednecks! It's very soft and skinny road bike tires would be a nightmare on it. It's not impossible, but I find old backroads are much more enjoyable.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Thumbs down A Road Bike?!?!?

You should have bought a "real bike"! A mountain bike!!
    ;)
    I know there is some great mountain biking in your area.
    Kettle Morain(sp?) for one.
    Anyway...
    Felt is SEXY!!
    Have fun on that thing!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Super nice bike. Don't scratch up that RSX though! I'm running some Specialized Fatboys on my Rocky right now. Not the same as a road bike, but it's still fast!

Thread Information