PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Photo suggestions for Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg

My wife and I are thinking about going to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg Tn. for Thanksgiving with our boys and their families and I was wondering if anyone might have some photo locations to check out. We will be going to Dollywood because I they have three or four million Christmas lights up then. Christmas and Christmas lights are one of my favorite things to see and be part of. Any suggestions in the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg area would be much appreciated. Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Photo suggestions for Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg

Maybe this is obvious but you do have the GSMNP right there. Let me tell you, Pigeon Forge is a one strip Nightmare of Tacky. Other than Dollywood (and make sure you are a country western fan!) there is nothing. Gatlinburg at least has some fun spots that aren't venues for Made in China junk!

There are so many places in GSMNP that you'd do best to get a guide book. Cades Cove is cool and should be relatively free of traffic that time of year. Excellent views from Clingman's Dome. Although snow amounts can vary quite a bit, I always had a pair of snowshoes tossed onto the backseat just in case.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2 View Post
    Maybe this is obvious but you do have the GSMNP right there. Let me tell you, Pigeon Forge is a one strip Nightmare of Tacky. Other than Dollywood (and make sure you are a country western fan!) there is nothing. Gatlinburg at least has some fun spots that aren't venues for Made in China junk!

There are so many places in GSMNP that you'd do best to get a guide book. Cades Cove is cool and should be relatively free of traffic that time of year. Excellent views from Clingman's Dome. Although snow amounts can vary quite a bit, I always had a pair of snowshoes tossed onto the backseat just in case.
    We tried to get to Clingman's dome on our last trip and ended up stopping before I made it to the top. I am not use to driving in the mountains and had my brakes smoking pretty bad. We have been going up to Pigeon Forge for years but I am mainly looking for some new spots to check out and photograph, all suggestions are welcome. Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    We tried to get to Clingman's dome on our last trip and ended up stopping before I made it to the top. I am not use to driving in the mountains and had my brakes smoking pretty bad.
    LOL! I used to see locked brake lights and smoking brakes all the time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. On the trip down from Pikes Peak, state cops stop all cars and take the temperature of the brakes. If they are too hot, or have smoke pouring from them, they force you park in a secured lot for an hour.

Thank goodness you know your strengths and weaknesses. That is cool and just too uncommon. So many people cause major accidents when they don't think about their own skills first.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2 View Post
    LOL! I used to see locked brake lights and smoking brakes all the time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. On the trip down from Pikes Peak, state cops stop all cars and take the temperature of the brakes. If they are too hot, or have smoke pouring from them, they force you park in a secured lot for an hour.

Thank goodness you know your strengths and weaknesses. That is cool and just too uncommon. So many people cause major accidents when they don't think about their own skills first.
    The real funny part is that I had just told my wife that the car in front of us had just stopped and I saw smoke coming from his car. I hadn't noticed that we had a problem until I stopped the car for them and I instantly could not see the front end of my car for all the smoke coming off of OUR BRAKES!!!! I parked the car and we went over to a stream and wooden bridge and took pictures for about 45 min. Trying that again is one thing that is not on my list, LOL Jeff

Thread Information