• 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM
    Liz
    Passwords & Tech Support??
    I thought my conversation with a Verizon DSL Tech was a little strange. Am I right or wrong?

I called tech support because I couldn't get online today. This happened a few times before when my pc was turned off and back on. I basically know the drill, but forgot a couple of steps. After describing the problem the tech said "your problem is your password expired and needs to be reset." I disagreed and told him this was not the problem. He then led me through the usual steps to reset the modem.

The last step is to confirm the password. He said the password I used wasn't working, and he would give me a new password. He indicated it was too complicated for me to choose the password since it would mean that it would have to be changed online and on the modem and it was better that he choose my password. He gave me my new "modem" password. We hung up (stupid me).

I just called Verizon Password Reset tech. I explained the situation and the tech said I was supposed to choose & type in the password, not the tech. Then she checked, and he had changed the online password, including my email password - plus the modem password. And now he has all my online account info - including the passwords.

The password reset tech led me through changing it to my choice of a password - and I asked that she report him. What else could I do.

At any rate, am I being paranoid? Or do they know my password even if I do it? What's the deal?

Thanks for any info - and thoughts.

Liz
  • 07-12-2006, 07:52 PM
    poker
    Re: Passwords & Tech Support??
    The first tech support guy was being lazy. He didn't want to go through the motions that the second person did. I'm glad you got a better support person to reset everything and give you peace of mind.

Most likely, they DO NOT know your password. Customer service applications that I know of never expose password or full social security #s. That is why if you don't know it, then you will have to reset it.

I wouldn't worry about it. The person was being lazy.

FYI, I use to work for a similar company.
  • 07-13-2006, 05:16 AM
    Liz
    Re: Passwords & Tech Support??
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manacsa
    The first tech support guy was being lazy. He didn't want to go through the motions that the second person did. I'm glad you got a better support person to reset everything and give you peace of mind.

Most likely, they DO NOT know your password. Customer service applications that I know of never expose password or full social security #s. That is why if you don't know it, then you will have to reset it.

I wouldn't worry about it. The person was being lazy.

FYI, I use to work for a similar company.

Thanks........I did change it - but didn't like the idea of the tech choosing it initially - because then he does know it and has access not just to the account but all my email.

Liz
  • 07-13-2006, 06:14 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Not at all unusual...
    Liz, what you describe, though perhaps unsettling for you, is not unusual. Many times sites assign users temp passwords to deal with tech problems so you can get up and running quickly, then give you the responsibility of changing it to something more familiar (or secure) if you choose.
  • 07-13-2006, 06:35 AM
    Liz
    Re: Not at all unusual...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Liz, what you describe, though perhaps unsettling for you, is not unusual. Many times sites assign users temp passwords to deal with tech problems so you can get up and running quickly, then give you the responsibility of changing it to something more familiar (or secure) if you choose.

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I would have thought that too because I've had it happen before. However this guy indicated it was too complicated for me to do, and said he wanted to do it for me so "you won't have to do it."

At any rate, I need to take it at face value, and he was probably trying to be nice. I just keep hearing "never give anyone your password" so I got a little concerned. Actually I feel better now after reading both replies....besides it's changed now.

Thanks again for your input. Have a great day. BTW, I never got that post card. :rolleyes:

Liz
  • 07-13-2006, 07:09 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    Thanks again for your input. Have a great day. BTW, I never got that post card...

Anytime, Liz. As for the post card, I assume it got lost in the mail. Not sure if I mentioned it to you, but I'm waiting to send another because I want to include a copy of Lake & Sumter Style magazine, a new publication that I'm shooting for.

The latest issue (with my work) should be out any day now...
  • 07-13-2006, 07:13 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Anytime, Liz. As for the post card, I assume it got lost in the mail. Not sure if I mentioned it to you, but I'm waiting to send another because I want to include a copy of Lake & Sumter Style magazine, a new publication that I'm shooting for.

The latest issue (with my work) should be out any day now...

Whoops.....you did say that. I forgot....:rolleyes: Senior moment I guess.:D

Liz