PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    GB1

The January Blahs

Doesn't it seem like everyone gets mean and angry during January and February every year? Seems like so many people are cutting me off on the road, copping attitudes at work and in stores, etc. I wonder it's because it's cold, damp, and dark outside this time of year, and maybe cause they're getting all their Christmas bills they can't afford? :cryin: The mean months, it seems.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: The January Blahs

I've definitely felt blah this winter. I always fight the blues this season but this year it's harder to fight than most. Lots of procrastination helps
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder is what they have been calling it in the news. Basically a form of depression that happens because of the shorer days. Some people are treated with a light therapy, where they are exposed to more light.

I have really enjoyed this winter so far. We had lot of snow in January and I was able to get out and play in it a lot. For the last week, it has been very warm, foggy, rainy and just not very pleasant to be outside. That frustraits me a bit, but not to the point of going postal.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I was loving life this Winter. Then the snow melted now. Now I just sit around :cryin: and :mad2:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I call it the winter blahs. Holidays have nothing to do with it in my case. But, by January I am so sick of cold and gloomy days, I start getting a bit cranky. It used to wait until February, but it seems like the older I get, the sooner it hits me. All I can do is dream about getting my fishing boat on a lake. However, with over a foot of ice on the lakes, it's going to be awhile.

I even got desparate enough today to subscribe to Netflix. After the 2 week trial period, I'll probably cancel. I'm kind of a tightwad.

Anyway, it's definitely the weather causing the crankiness up here in MN.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Huh?

No I don't feel this is a down time. The nights in the city of light are sparkling with reflections off the cobbles, there are hundreds of places still to explore, I've found a discussion forum about bars and restaurants with some very interesting people who contribute. Lots to do.

And there are the SALES. I just picked up my quadri-core 2GB RAM 500GB hard disk etc. PC for 799 Euros instead of 1399 Euros. I might go quiet for a while until I get the new machine working properly, plus there's Nikon NX and the D300 to discover. Plus all my New Year resolutions. I must do more in the studio this year. I joined a club with tens of beautiful models and photo sessions every week and I never even went along.

Plus I guess one day I will get back to taking - what was the word - holidays, that was it. Go somewhere new, not just Paris. This project can't last forever, surely.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

As soon as I get off of work, I'm fine, but while at my day job I just don't feel like doing anything.

Trying to figure out school schedule, work, no time to ride my bike, and tons to do before the little one is born, so its been stressful too.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Liz

I think January and February can be difficult and challenging months for many people, especially those of us who live with the changing of the seasons. I love snow, but we haven't had enough to think about doing something with the camera. I'm still waiting for it - but the weather has been kind of weird (NJ).

Actually by the time February comes along, I get a little impatient waiting for spring and fool myself into thinking it begins in March. Somehow I'm surprised when March comes and it's still cold and a bit gloomy.

However! we've had 3 days of 60-65 degree weather along with sunshine - so I think everyone's spirits have been raised a bit. Tomorrow it's rain again, but not too cold. Now that you've gotten the weather report, I'll conclude.

Liz

Yep Liz, I think you pretty much nailed it, for the majority.
    Mike
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I tried light therapy and it didn't help.....its the short days that get to me, especially in the afternoon and evening. Dark at 4 is about when I'm done with my days tasks and want to go out and do something.
    If I was a drinker, I'd be at the bars.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I believe this is the reason alcoholism is such a problem in interior Alaska, in the winter. In some places, they don't see any daylight for months at a time. They have nothing to do other than get inebriated, hop on their snowmobiles and go nuts. Suicide is also a large problem there in the winter.
    Mike

GB1

Yeah, the lack of light does have it's effect, I suppose. Plus gray, no color, bitter cold weather, etc. Franglais, I definitely see what you mean: winter can be a great time to go out. The restaurants and bars aren't crowded, it's easy to park, and it's easier to get into interesting discussions with people when they're not in that summer (mindless) mentality (refer to summertime movies to know what I mean - all action, no plot). Personally, I find it easier to read a book in the winter because I don't feel like I should be out doing something else. It's also a good time to down minimalist-type photography.

Gb

My Site

I wonder if our economic situation might have something to do with this year being worse than usual.

Down here in Austin, the weather is great. The low angle light makes for great photography, and it rarely gets too cold. But, it's dark by the time I get off work. So, beautiful weather while I'm working...dark when I get off. That is probably frustrating for everyone...but it's still better than the debilitating heat of summer.

Paul

ole

I'm with you on that, mn shutterbug, the older I get, the less I enjoy the cold, dark of winter!
    Man, I need to go south more & more every winter it seems!
    I have tried using a light box for therapy & it does help quite alot for me.
    The bright side is we are gaining 5 min. per day of sun here in western alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    I even got desparate enough today to subscribe to Netflix. After the 2 week trial period, I'll probably cancel. I'm kind of a tightwad.
    Ha! I came so close! I probably wouldn't have had it long; maybe thru the winter. Like Paul said it's tough when you go to work before the sun comes up and leave after it sets. The days are definitely getting longer but it's still tough to deal with. I did appreciate the warm weather because I needed to do some work on my car (unheated garages always seem colder than just being outside) but was sorry to see all the snow go away.

Aside from the lack of daylight, I really don't get the January blahs. I actually look forward to life settling down and getting back to "normal" after the holidays. The part that gets to me is usually around March when it's still a bit cold to be on the water and everything is still brown and yucky, but you know it's going to change soon. It just never happens soon enough.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I too get bummed out by the lack of light. Since I do not like being out after dark, it is a bummer that I am at work while the sun is out...Since I like taking pictures during the day, I will go at at lunch and do it, but then I feel rushed AND i hate feeling rushed...Why can't I have my cake and eat it to?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Liz

I found this amusing.......

I just heard on the news tonight that January 21st has been "rated" (not sure by whom) the "gloomiest day of the year." They didn't say how they came to this exact date. The reasons given included weather, after Christmas debts, broken New Year's resolutions, not enough light..........and I can't remember the rest but some of them have been mentioned here.

Liz

GB1

You know it, Liz... We photographers are ahead of our time, and are good observers

My Site

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I have actually recovered nicely after my initial drop. I've adapted to 65 degree days and 35 degree nights. I like being able to wear a t-shirt during the day and having cool crisp weather in the evening. Nicey! How's everyone else coming along?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information