• 10-27-2005, 10:31 PM
    JSPhoto
    Oil Companies Announce Record INCOME
    Along the lines of high fuel prices, the major oil companies announced record income this year....one 9 BILLION DOLLARS, the highest ever. Congress is now, HOPEFULLY getting involved.
    These record high incomes only go to prove price gouging, and it's not just here in the states, but worldwide, and it's obvious that the oil companies are working together.

Recently I bought gas at a station near my home, normally one of the cheapest around... it was $2.58 a gallon. When I got into Indianapolis I found gas for $2.38. I got a fillup and on my way home stopped at the first station and showed the manager my receipt... The next day gas dropped at that station to $2.41, and is now $2.38.

I think all motorists should file a massive class action lawsuit against the oil companies for price gouging. Start with anyone driving since 1973, and each person gets $1000 for each year they have driven since 1973.... I'd get $31,000 :) which would buy a couple more lenses :D
    That would take a bite out of their profits..... :eek:

JS
  • 10-28-2005, 04:28 AM
    mdmc
    Re: Oil Companies Announce Record INCOME
    Gas prices should be federaly controlled! And not by anyone appointed by bush!
  • 10-28-2005, 06:47 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Along the lines of high fuel prices, the major oil companies announced record income this year....one 9 BILLION DOLLARS, the highest ever. Congress is now, HOPEFULLY getting involved.
    These record high incomes only go to prove price gouging, and it's not just here in the states, but worldwide, and it's obvious that the oil companies are working together.

Recently I bought gas at a station near my home, normally one of the cheapest around... it was $2.58 a gallon. When I got into Indianapolis I found gas for $2.38. I got a fillup and on my way home stopped at the first station and showed the manager my receipt... The next day gas dropped at that station to $2.41, and is now $2.38.

I think all motorists should file a massive class action lawsuit against the oil companies for price gouging. Start with anyone driving since 1973, and each person gets $1000 for each year they have driven since 1973.... I'd get $31,000 :) which would buy a couple more lenses :D
    That would take a bite out of their profits..... :eek:

JS

Several oil industry analysts calculated that oil wouild have to reach a bit under $100 a barrel to justify the current high costs. Don't assume that this price gouging will stop: Bush and Cheney are oil barons and many congressmen get their money from big oil.
  • 10-28-2005, 11:13 AM
    JSPhoto
    Something needs to be done to stem the tide of the oil company profits and put the money back into our pockets....I can't afford this :mad:

JS
  • 10-29-2005, 07:15 PM
    Themage
    I am not going to say what i know because it will get me banned. :>
  • 10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
    another view
    Shoulda bought stock...
  • 04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
    JSPhoto
    Here we go again! Rising gas prices and gee, imagine it, rising PROFITS for the theives at the big oil companies. It's obvious to everyone except the govt. that the oil companies are screwing us all and gouging the hell out of us.
    What really burns me is we can have demonstrations against the war and immigration but no one has the guts to demonstrate against the oil company's.

JS
  • 04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
    OldSchool
    Personally, I'm happy to see prices go up.
    Our automobile fleet is so inefficient compared to what it could be. Only a very few buy environmentally friendlier cars because that's what they want to do (They are not, however, friendly to the environment.). The rest of us are motivated by financial pressures. If gas is too expensive, people will get a more efficient car next time. And, that’s good for our mother earth.

There is hybrid technology (which is great, but I'm not a big fan for two reasons), and then there is clean diesel (which is not yet available in the US). I'm going clean diesel when the oil company's blockade ends.

Want to hear another crazy thing? Diesel is cheaper to produce, but more expensive at the pump. I guess that's supply and demand...

TTFN,
    Tim

p.s. Sorry if I've ruffled anybody's feather..

pp.s Also, I think it sucks that the oil industry is racking it in. The thing that kills me is they scream "Oh, that'll be too expensive for us to do." when asked to clean up their refinery emissions or make a better fuel.
  • 04-28-2006, 01:20 PM
    mtbbrian
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • 04-28-2006, 01:53 PM
    zrfraser
    JS...I would kill for gas at 2.38 a gallon. Here in GA its 3.00 a gallon. One day it rose 21 cents from 8am to 10pm. That is rediculous. I am only a poor college student, and gas is killing me. I think we should send in a photo of current gas prices in our area to congress, and then another with our pockets pulled out, and then another with a one finger salute. Is that mean? I am sorry if it is, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
  • 04-28-2006, 04:04 PM
    JSPhoto
    Gas here jumped 40 cents in two days, then dropped 10 4 days later.....it's anywhere from $2.81 to $3 here, although I have only seen $2.88 myself.
    In typical Bush style he has found nothing wrong with the high prices and claims there is no price gouging according to his comments today.....of course theres no problem for him, he's an oil man (and an idiot).....(did I just say that?) :eek:

JS
  • 04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
    greghalliday
    $3.19 at my local Chevron. Last year we got rid of our Altima in favor of a Jeep Grand Cherokee due to 90% of the roads around here being dirt. But right now, the new Civic hybrid is looking sooo nice.

How much of oil prices are related to futures trading? Why are we allowed to speculate and gamble on such a critical commodity?
  • 04-28-2006, 08:27 PM
    JSPhoto
    Well one Texas mayor has it right, he asked the entire county to boycot Exxon on Monday....but why not the rest of the week, or month? One day won't hurt Exxon enough to cause them to do the right thing and lower prices. It's more than just Exxon though, it's all the oil companies.

JS
  • 04-28-2006, 09:14 PM
    zrfraser
    I already boycott Exxon and Citgo since they are both owned by Hugo Chavez and it just doesn't seem righ aiding a man who stifels his own people, and refuses them basic rights.
  • 04-28-2006, 10:47 PM
    masdog
    Re: Personally, I'm happy to see prices go up.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Want to hear another crazy thing? Diesel is cheaper to produce, but more expensive at the pump. I guess that's supply and demand...

And it is the only technology that can run on a multitude of fuels right off the shelf. You can pour straight vegetable oil in and your diesel will still run.
  • 04-28-2006, 10:53 PM
    masdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Here we go again! Rising gas prices and gee, imagine it, rising PROFITS for the theives at the big oil companies. It's obvious to everyone except the govt. that the oil companies are screwing us all and gouging the hell out of us.
    What really burns me is we can have demonstrations against the war and immigration but no one has the guts to demonstrate against the oil company's.

JS

What really gets me is that people just keep going along with this scheme. I know it is hard to do in some areas, but why don't people stop driving, or at least stop filling up, for at least a week to send a message to the oil companies?

Once I can afford a bike, which should be in the next two weeks, I will stop driving and start riding to work. I don't feel that I need to pay $3 a gallon to get around my town.

It gets even easier in other places, too. Most cities have mass transit, which sure beats driving every day. Even if you just drive to the station to pick up a train, you won't need to fill up for at least one week.
  • 04-29-2006, 10:30 AM
    JSPhoto
    Unfortunately some people like myself can't ride a bike (my knees are shot) and there is no mass transit around here until you get into Indy and then your stuck with IndyGo which is pretty much worthless. It doesn't really go anywhere and is expensive.. A couple years ago they dropped a bunch of routes and raised prices. 3rd shift workers are completely screwed. It will be interesting to see how the high prices affect the 500 and Brickyard 400. Neither race has sold out in several years.

JS
  • 04-30-2006, 11:28 AM
    OldSchool
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greghalliday
    $3.19 at my local Chevron. Last year we got rid of our Altima in favor of a Jeep Grand Cherokee due to 90% of the roads around here being dirt. But right now, the new Civic hybrid is looking sooo nice.

How much of oil prices are related to futures trading? Why are we allowed to speculate and gamble on such a critical commodity?

Hey Greg,

Make sure you read up on "actual" mpg of the Civic Hybrid. Last I recall, it was about 35mpg -- not a big jump from the otto-cycle Civic. It turn's out that the EPA MPG tests do not do a great job of determining actual mpg for smaller gas efficient cars. In fact, they are well off for some models (like the Civic Hybrid).

If you are serious, check out the Toyota.
    Cheers,
    Tim

p.s. I have a regular Civic. I'm waiting for clean diesel and then get a VW TDI or something. Diesel has the same mpg as Hybrid, but it's a much simpler machine, eh? Clean diesel should be out and available in a few years.
  • 04-30-2006, 11:37 AM
    swmdrayfan
    [quote=masdog]
    [Once I can afford a bike, which should be in the next two weeks, I will stop driving and start riding to work. I don't feel that I need to pay $3 a gallon to get around my town.]

Just got mine out of the shed last week. Haven't ridden in 10 years-----boy do my legs hurt.:D . Beats getting in the car and wasting gas on very short trips though.
    John