PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thumbs down Public Safety - Does your siren work? or...

Brought up by Channel 13 WTHR after the recent outbreak of tornados was the fact that most of the state ISN"T covered by Civil Defence sirens meaning most of the state isn't covered for tornado warnings. In fact the part of the county I live in is one of three townships that have no sirens at all and we were hit by a tornado two years ago and just missed twice this year.
    Marion County (Indianapolis) has small areas that are not covered, but the 5 surrounding counties have 184,000 people not able to hear any sirens. The county just south of us has a total of seven sirens to cover 413 square miles.

So what about you? Can you hear your siren if it goes off?

The worst part of this is no one knows who is responsible, the state or the county!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Public Safety - Does your siren work? or...

I live in a small town of about 3000 and I have no problem hearing the sirens. The city put in all new sirens a few years back and it has greatly improved the ability to hear them. They about blow you out of your car if they go off while sitting at a stop sign next to one of them. I have one a couple blocks from my house. When I hear them go off, my first instict is to grab my camera instead of heading to the basement. Kinda defeats the purpose of the siren tho.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ours works, and we can hear it. We're probably about 4 blocks from it. It goes off every day at noon, everytime there's a fire, tornados, and I think one other thing. They have a different pattern for each one. Tornado siren just stays on, the noon one is one shorter whistle, off the top of my head, I can't remember the fire one.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Ours does the same thing Adina. For the fire, it's an up and down pattern.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

We have a siren system at the college that I attend, and I only live a mile from that but you can't hear it then. Th ebad thing is that the siren starts when the danger is gone.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Not only can I hear it, but so can the dogs.....what a howl .
    John

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    When I hear them go off, my first instict is to grab my camera instead of heading to the basement. Kinda defeats the purpose of the siren tho.
    LOL Michael! That made me laugh. Just like a photographer to grab his camera and run into the storm when everyone is running out!

You remind me of an article a read in Arizona Highways this month about landscape photographers and how they chase storms to get the best shots.

Sirens, you know I haven't put a thought into those in years. Major US cities don't have them, I don't think. And I've been in living in San Francisco, DC and Phoenix for the last 6 years or so. In fact, I haven't even heard one since I last visited the small beach resort my family goes to in Delaware.

I wonder how they plan on alerting people around here?

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information