PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Suggestions for places in Colorado to camp?

It looks like we're going to meet some friends who live in Texas in Colorado this year at Rocky Mountain. I'm trying to talk my mom into also doing a few days at another park. Last time we went to RMNP, we also spent a few days at Black Canyon at the Gunnison.

I'm thinking about Gunnison again, but wondered if anyone here had any recommendations for good places to camp and hike in Colorado that are within a day's drive of Rocky Mountain?
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Suggestions for places in Colorado to camp?

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    It looks like we're going to meet some friends who live in Texas in Colorado this year at Rocky Mountain. I'm trying to talk my mom into also doing a few days at another park. Last time we went to RMNP, we also spent a few days at Black Canyon at the Gunnison.

I'm thinking about Gunnison again, but wondered if anyone here had any recommendations for good places to camp and hike in Colorado that are within a day's drive of Rocky Mountain?
    Well, obviously RMNP itself. There are many really great (and photogenic) trails and campgrounds. Bear Lake is extremely popular.

Long's Peak is a traditional hike to a 14er.

If you are a hiker with good skills, the Never Summer Mountains to the west of the park are pretty wild. Know how to use a compass and GPS.

Look at the area around Boulder (south of the park). The Flat Irons have lots of different activities including hiking but also rock climbing, bouldering, single track, etc.

Just a hint: if you are going to go to Gunnison, Castle Rock is a cool photo opportunity (the hike is serious however) and the west Elks are beautiful. If you take route 50 to Gunnison, one of my favorite views was the short hike to the high point of the Angel of Shavano Trail east of Monarch Pass. It doesn't take very long but the views of the valley are spectacular. This is part of the Colorado Trail/Continental Divide Trail, so you can continue on to Canada if you wish!

The fact of the matter is that you could spend several lifetimes enjoying all the scenery and photographic opportunities that Colorado provides.

Very short distance north of Gunnison:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for places in Colorado to camp?-gunnisoncone1.jpg  
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Re: Suggestions for places in Colorado to camp?

I love the San Juans on the Western Slope. And Grand Junction is a pretty cool place, too. It's a whole different world from the Front Range
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information