PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Need info on "bluetooth"

I hope someone can help me here as I'm very technically challenged when it comes to electronics/phones, etc. I am buying a Bluetooth for a friend for Christmas. Yesterday I went to Costco and found 3 different models $39.99 - $49.99 - $59.99. I could not see a difference in the three. They were all Motorola. I didn't have a pen/paper, but I think these were the models. H305 - H375 - T500.

I'm not necessarily looking just at these models, but just posted them in case someone has the same model. What I need to know is what I should be looking for in order to get what I need including good quality - the best I can get in order to hear the voice clearly. What other features do I need?

If anyone has a model they would recommend, that would be good. I have very little time for shopping so anything you can tell me will be great.

Thanks for any input and/or info.

Liz

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Need info on "bluetooth"

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    If anyone has a model they would recommend, that would be good. I have very little time for shopping so anything you can tell me will be great...
    Hi Liz. I'm no expert at all on Bluetooth (hmmm, wasn't that one of the characters on the old Soupey Sales show?), but I did go through the same things when trying to choose one for myself.

BTW, I'm not even sure the model I have and never use it. So, consider that...

But my advice, and yes, it sounds cold, would be to get the middle one and save the receipt! They would probably have a better idea of which model would be best for their needs...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Middle of the road sounds like good advice - as does saving the receipt. Just like cameras, it's hard to know exactly what someone wants and paying for unused features is probably a waste of money.

Think of bluetooth as basically a mini wireless network. This is completely different than wirelessly connecting to the internet, but it's the same concept. I have a bluetooth enabled laptop (MacBook Pro) and it can dial a bluetooth enabled cell phone, use a mouse or remote keyboard - all wirelessly. Haven't bought any of the toys for it yet...

Liz

Thanks Steve.....and Steve....

Good idea to try the middle road...... I thought it was strange that all 3 models seemed to have the same features. Oh well.....the most important feature would be the clarity.

Liz

Bluetooth is an industrial specification for wireless personal area networks (PANs). Bluetooth provides a way to connect and exchange information between devices such as mobile phones, laptops, PCs, printers, digital cameras, and video game consoles over a secure, globally unlicensed short-range radio frequency. The Bluetooth specifications are developed and licensed by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group.
    Bluetooth is a standard and communications protocol primarily designed for low power consumption, with a short range (power-class-dependent: 1 meter, 10 meters, 100 meters)[1] based on low-cost transceiver microchips in each device.

Bluetooth enables these devices to communicate with each other when they are in range. The devices use a radio communications system, so they do not have to be in line of sight of each other, and can even be in other rooms, as long as the received transmission is powerful enough.
    You can get more informations about blue tootn in the site en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Bluetooth is one way to transfer data from one device to another. It is usually used between two phones, also phone to laptop (but it is better to use infrared or usb cord for faster transfer). Liz, better consider other features such as memory card enable or screen pixel quality.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by transparency
    Bluetooth is one way to transfer data from one device to another. It is usually used between two phones, also phone to laptop (but it is better to use infrared or usb cord for faster transfer). Liz, better consider other features such as memory card enable or screen pixel quality.
    Thanks for the input, however, the person I'm buying it for just wants to use it for her cell phone so she can be "hands free" while driving - and the most important feature would be clarity - no static or interference along with the ability to be able to hear the other person clearly. One of my earpieces cost $40 - and it's difficult to hear the person on the other end - plus the other person can't understand what I am saying either. It was a waste of money. I have a cheap one that works fine. So I'm wondering if the Bluetooth models differ so drastically - and am trying to find one that works well.

I don't think she will need a memory card enable or screen pixel quality in the car.

Liz

Thread Information