PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The new iPhone 4

For those of you looking at the new iPhone 4, you may want to read the article below, Jeff

http://www.dailytech.com/Steve+Jobs+...ticle18842.htm
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: The new iPhone 4

Actually, my dumb phone (just phone calls) also has to be held in a certain way. The head of our department, with a Nokia something or other, has to avoid covering up the antenna. In actual fact, testing this week shows that the iPhone 4 drops a substantially fewer number of calls than the iPhone 3 and similar.

I just don't get it though. Do I really need a phone that does 10,000 different things? Maybe its the geezer in me, but my rinky-dink single-purpose 5-year old phone works just fine!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Yes you do need a smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    I just don't get it though. Do I really need a phone that does 10,000 different things? Maybe its the geezer in me, but my rinky-dink single-purpose 5-year old phone works just fine!
    Some recent examples:

- On Thursday night I was lost in suburbia looking for a Salsa venue. I called up Google Maps. It found me instantly by triangulation of the GSM signals. Then I looked up the name of the venue with the search in Google. I was miles out but it was easy to find the place after that
    - Last week I was stuck in a restaurant and I realsed I'd forgotten to check if there was any SPAM on Photographyreview before leaving. I just used the Internet browser on my Smartphone to check it out. (I have a Smartphone with a 640x360 screen so this is easier than with an iPhone 3GS)
    - Any time I want to take a picture
    - Any time I want to check my email (not just SMS)
    - Any time I want to check my agenda
    - Any time I need to know what time it is (I don't have a wristwatch)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Yes you do need a smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Some recent examples:

- On Thursday night I was lost in suburbia looking for a Salsa venue. I called up Google Maps. It found me instantly by triangulation of the GSM signals. Then I looked up the name of the venue with the search in Google. I was miles out but it was easy to find the place after that
    When I get lost, I scream and yell, turn red, and curse the invention of roads. All true but I make sure I know my route before I go. Rand McNally to the rescue. Old age again I guess.

- Last week I was stuck in a restaurant and I realsed I'd forgotten to check if there was any SPAM on Photographyreview before leaving. I just used the Internet browser on my Smartphone to check it out. (I have a Smartphone with a 640x360 screen so this is easier than with an iPhone 3GS)
    Leave the work at work!

Already have a sub-compact P&S for that.

See above, off hours is off hours for me. Nothing is ever that important.

My $20 Timex is cheaper and more convenient!

Young people grow up with this stuff and can not imagine how the world could survive without these gadgets. I grew up before cell phones, GPS, computers, calculators, digital cameras, etc. and know that many of these gadgets are not really all that important. Sure, my TI-Nspire CAS runs rings around my old sliderule. Word processing is so much better than typewriters. But, in general, for my uses, most of this stuff is just fluff.

To each his own!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Young people grow up with this stuff and can not imagine how the world could survive without these gadgets. I grew up before cell phones, GPS, computers, calculators, digital cameras, etc. and know that many of these gadgets are not really all that important!
    I'm 59 this year. I'm not young. I'm sort of retarded.

To be honest, communication inside large corporations - including smartphones - IS my work. I keep a keen eye on it all.
    Charles

Eternal Sentiment

I also grew up before cel phones, the internet and computers. And like some other people I never saw a need for all this in one phone. Then I got one through work and seriously, it's amazing. The amount of times I've had it come in handy for it's other uses are too many to count.
    I'm an avid cyclist and on a couple of separate occasions I've gotten a flat tire while un-prepared and in an area I didn't know. A quick search in Google maps for "bike stores" nearby saved me both times.

No one NEEDS these things, but they sure are wonderful conveniences.
    The funny thing is, I never use it for music or videos and I mostly blame iTunes for that.

Some recent examples:

- Last week I was stuck in a restaurant and I realsed I'd forgotten to check if there was any SPAM on Photographyreview before leaving. I just used the Internet browser on my Smartphone to check it out. (I have a Smartphone with a 640x360 screen so this is easier than with an iPhone 3GS) Life cover real

Quote Originally Posted by JordanRHughes
    I'm an avid cyclist and on a couple of separate occasions I've gotten a flat tire while un-prepared and in an area I didn't know. A quick search in Google maps for "bike stores" nearby saved me both times.
    "Avid" cyclists have what they need to fix a flat. TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    That's what I was thinking. When I used to bicycle all the time, I never called a bike shop or even thought of doing that. From flat tires to chain problems, I knew what to do!

I own an iphone3g. I would like the 4g model but I don't need it and can't afford it. I got the iphone for its music player capabilities. At the time I was spending a lot of time on public transport and it made sense to ditch my failing mp3 player (not an apple product) and since my telephone contract was due for renewal and I was already on a contract that would enable me to get an iphone "free" I got it. In the two years i have had it, it has become more and more handy. I didn't think the internet and email in a phone would be handy until I had them. I didn't think I would need the maps until I got used to using them. I love the apps I have, some of them time wasters, some of them tools, like the banking app. I pay all my bills from my phone now. My 9 month old son loves the apps I have for him. flash cards animal sounds and learning games. So yes it is correct that I don't NEED and Iphone, having owned one I doubt I could go to anything other than a smartphone. It has simply become too useful. The final kicker for me is having my phone contacts automatically backed up so that if I loose my phone I don't loose my contacts. I have tried address books, I am not dillignet enough to keep them up to date so they don't work for me.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Eternal Sentiment

Ahh yeah, there are definitely many times I go out woefully under prepared. It's usually one of those days where its hot enough that I want to ride without a shirt so I get brave and leave the pack at home.
    I'll also admit to being a little lazy sometimes and would prefer to have a cup of coffee while they toss a tube on the bike next door. ;)
    I am full of shame! haha
    That's what I was thinking. When I used to bicycle all the time, I never called a bike shop or even thought of doing that. From flat tires to chain problems, I knew what to do!

AT&T really doesn't have the best coverage in my area so I have Verizon. I use an HTC Incredible. It's awesome. I don't have to sync it, just drag and drop on any computer.1ghz processor, replacable battery, 8 mpix camera, 8 gig micro sd expandable to 32 gig, flash ect. Plus coverage that is soooo much better than AT&T.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

On a given day, with my iPhone:
    Check the weather for a flight(I are a professional airplane driver)
    File a flightplan based on the weather I just checked.
    Fill out paperwork for work(flight time and duty sheets)
    Email said paperwork
    Log my flight
    Check with the rules in the Federal Aviation Regulations for my flight
    Perform calculations for my flight
    Perform simple calculations
    Make a Vonage call over the web...Free
    Find the nearest brewery
    Find a good restaurant
    Check the sports scores
    Check the ski report
    Check the weather for personal use
    Play a game while standing by(waiting for my next assignment)
    keep up with email, sms, phone calls
    Wake up to an alarm
    Check my calendar
    Listen to music
    Listen to a book
    Read a book
    Surf the web...

I am not young either, I am pushing 50. If you told me that I would find I wanted or needed an iPhone 3 years ago, I would have told you that you were nuts. Now that I have one, it's hard to live without. I have all of the tools I need to do my job right at my fingertips. On top of that it provides a fair amount of distraction and recreation for a job that entails a lot of sitting around waiting.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Oh oh oh! Wham!

That was a good one. It happens to the best of us, though. I switch backpacks all the time and sometimes I forget to transfer my pump, tube, tire levers, etc.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

My Addition

My addition to this thread - besides heckling people for flat tires...

http://blog.cagle.com/2010/07/16/ste...-and-iphone-4/

I saw that today and thought it was funny.

Full disclosure - I own an iPhone 3G and use the hell out of it. It's a marketing tool.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am really surprised they are making such a big deal out of the antenna issue. There have been phones before that have had much worse problems and nobody bats an eye. Probably a cause of the iPhones popularity.

I've been loving my 3GS, I may return it for the 4 though - I still have a couple weeks.. My 5 year old son also loves some of the apps, his favorite is the voice recorder, he can open it up and start recording, he usually sings a song or something, or, sings something that sounds like heavy metal. He is intense..
    Last edited by Anbesol; 07-16-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I am really surprised they are making such a big deal out of the antenna issue. There have been phones before that have had much worse problems and nobody bats an eye. Probably a cause of the iPhones popularity.

I've been loving my 3GS, I may return it for the 4 though - I still have a couple weeks.. My 5 year old son also loves some of the apps, his favorite is the voice recorder, he can open it up and start recording, he usually sings a song or something, or, sings something that sounds like heavy metal. He is intense..
    Yeah in todays press conference they pretty much proved that every smartphone has the same antenna issues. The iPhone simply has a huge spotlight on it. I love my 3Gs, although seeing the 4 has me tempted too.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

iPhone is the new PC

I just ate my lunch at the local Flunch cafeteria. There was a paper serviette on my tray saying "Flunch iPhone - Download the application". My new client also has a new application to allow their clients to do their bank accounts on iPhone. Plus the only devices I can use to connect to the messaging system is Windows Mobile (for loosers) and iPhone.

This has gone too far. The iPhone has become the new standard, like the PC in its day. Six months ago I could ignore it but it's getting to be like you're a social deviant if you don't have an iPhone.

I go with the crowd. Always buy number 1 or 2 in the marketplace (Nikon camera, Citroen car, etc.). Grumble..

Note: This is a bit tongue-in-cheek, especially the bit about the "PC in its day". But I have a horrible feeling that it's going to happen
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Yeah in todays press conference they pretty much proved that every smartphone has the same antenna issues. The iPhone simply has a huge spotlight on it. I love my 3Gs, although seeing the 4 has me tempted too.
    I have had my HTC Incredible for three weeks, hundreds of calls and I haven't dropped one yet where I was in any kind of coverage and even in bad areas I have only dropped a couple.
    My first Droid was a nightmare at dropping calls.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Never owned a cell phone.
    When I get lost, I just follow whatever road until I accidentally know where I am.
    I can tell pretty much what time it is by sun position and I don't care what time it is at night.

Wife owns a cheap t-mobile phone which she makes take with me when I go on a jaunt but I usually forget to turn it on. The good part is we get internet phone service for $10 a month.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I will stick with my Incredible. I never follow trends. But I do enjoy owning a smartphone. I probably rely on mine to much.

Sony a99/a7R

An iPhone turns out to be the best compromise for a number of reasons

Last night I explored all the possibilities of Windows Mobile using my pretty recent HTC Touch Diamond system, ruined by my service provider's customisation. I'd forgotten just how awful it was - slow to react, links to commercial sites I don't need but can't get rid of, necessity to use a stylus to hit precisely the right area of the screen because the user interface is based on windows and sliders.

I acquired an iPhone4 + revised service contract this morning. The iPhone 4 takes a micro SIM card which won't fit in the HTC or in the Sony-Ericsson SATIO that I was using so basically I now have the iPhone and two useless GSM units that I can't use as backup devices.

In order to use iPhone you have to install iTunes and create an account with Apple. The first thing that is asked for (after your name) is your credit card details which seems rather ominous and somehow sets the tone..

Apart from that it's a beautiful job which works perfectly. I'll try out the photo part tomorrow.
    Charles

The real question is why do you need a cell phone at all. I never owned one until six months ago. I got one because I figured I needed one for potential road side assistance on the bikes. I have used it twice in six months. Cell phones are a scourge.

Of course, once I can be connected 24-7 to the internet by an implant of some sort, I am all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    The real question is why do you need a cell phone at all. I never owned one until six months ago. I got one because I figured I needed one for potential road side assistance on the bikes. I have used it twice in six months. Cell phones are a scourge.

Of course, once I can be connected 24-7 to the internet by an implant of some sort, I am all over that.
    This is a Smartphone, not just a cell phone. The uses are much wider than that:

- For my work I am often out of the office. I need to be able to receive and send telephone messages AND Corporate email all the day, wherever I am.
    - The Smartphone also has my agenda and all my contacts with their telephone number. I also need access to the Corporate address book for people I don't have as contacts
    - Internet access is very useful for all sorts of things when you're out on the road to find information
    - A pocket GPS system is VERY useful when you're out somewhere and you're lost. If it can show you traffic conditions as well then that's great

On a more personal note:
    - It's nice to be able to take photos
    - Facebook access lets me keep in touch with my tribe

Much of this I can also do with my portable PC, but when you're travelling or in a meeting then it's cumbersome to use.
    Charles

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

In order to use iPhone you have to install iTunes and create an account with Apple. The first thing that is asked for (after your name) is your credit card details which seems rather ominous and somehow sets the tone.
    Apparently you can remove your credit card details?
    There have been some problems with people being charged in the AppStore for things they never purchased.
    Either their account details have been compromised, or some applications are doing in-app ordering.

Some games allow you to BUY points and there are stories of people running up $1400 bills for in-game points purchase - that kind of application is one to steer well away from !!

One developer has had all their applications removed in a rather high profile move because he bought his way into the top 50 apps, and it's suspected it was done fraudulently by the programs in an App Farm ... but Apple is keeping very quiet about it and not admitting anything.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

iPhone 4 camera basic facts

OK I did a few tests with the camera part.

Image size: 5 Mpix "back-lit" sensor. This might be exclusive to Apple, I haven't seen this specification elsewhere. 5Mpix is more than enough for an 8x10 print
    Lens: Fixed focal length moderate wide-angle (about 35mm in 24x36 terms)
    Lens aperture: f2.4 (doesn't seem to have a diaphragm)
    ISO range: 80 ISO to 1000 ISO automatic
    Noise reduction: No noise at 80 ISO. At 1000 ISO noise is visible on an A4 print but it's not unpleasant and the image is still quite sharp
    Shutter: Slowest shutter speed = 1/15s
    Program logic: f2.4 constant. In low light it seems to let the shutter speed drop to 1/15s before boosting the ISO
    Built-in flash: Yes but you can turn it off
    Autofocus: Continuous. Camera displays a rectangle around what it has chosen as the subject. You can override by touching the screen to choose another zone
    Shutter release: Instantaneous, no lag observed so far
    Lens quality: Sharp except at the very corners where it softens a bit. No obvious light fall-off. No flare or vertical bands around bright lights
    Manual override: Flash on/off/auto and choice of focus zone.
    Time to get ready: Pretty fast. You just press on the Camera icon and it's ready in less than 2 secs.
    General impression of an A4 print: Looks flat and lifeless compared with a DSLR or 4/3 camera but that's typical of a point-and-shoot
    Bonus: Shoots HD video but I haven't tried it yet

Conclusion: It's a real camera for situations where I don't have a better one with me. My Sony SATIO included a full-feature point-and-shoot camera. The iPhone4 is not at that level but it's quite usable. In low light I'm going to have to watch out for that 1/15 shutter speed which is too slow to avoid camera shake and subject movement blur.
    Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information