PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 258
  1. #26
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mineral Point, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    The republicans aren't the only ones who don't want to make it an issue. Obama said in a speech this weekend that Palin's family is off limits, and that if he finds out anyone in his campaign had anything to do with this story hitting the news they would be fired.

    I read an article this morning about how lots of evangelicals are rallying behind Palin for "the fact that this family lives its pro-life values". Perhaps this was part of the plan for McCain to win back some of the conservative base that doesn't think he is conservative enough.
    Mike

    My website
    Twitter
    Blog


    "I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

  2. #27
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Well now don't you think you're distorting the facts a little? If her being on city council and mayor of puny town counts as her experience, then OBama has a good 15 years on him as well. Apples to apples, though, REAL experience, he has 4 years of senate, and she has 1.5 years of governer.

    *edit - oh dude lolz, I just realized you were being sarcastic. Didn't read that whole baby killer comment...
    I was not being Sarcastic...
    Obama's 10 reasons for supporting infanticide
    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59702
    There is no difference between ''Barack Hussein Obama'' and Osama bin Laden...
    They both kill human beings....
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  3. #28
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I just cannot believe ANYONE can defend this choice and its become rather ugly, unfortunatly.
    If your speaking of the GOP ticket, I am not a fan or supporter of McCain, but this is clearly a decision based on the lesser of two evils...At least with McCain he is pro life, will not raise taxes and will protect us and


    Now today I was swithching back and forth on the radio while driving, between a liberal and conservative talk radio stations and one was going on about her daughter's pregnancy not being an issue and the other that it was and neither side could listen to reason or accept an opposing argument.
    A statement released by the McCain campaign got right to the point, quoting Gov. Palin and her husband, Todd:

    "Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents."


    My wife and I both Got pregnant when we where in High school and have been very happily married now for 22 going on 23 years...The same thing happened to us as has happened to many family's..When we where pregnant with our second child, it was recommended to us to kill, I mean to terminate the fetus up until the 8th month because she was going to be a down syndrome baby and we where far to young to deal with that...We chose to have Krisanie Grace and as it turns out God blessed us with a perfectly healthy baby girl....

    I, for the life of me, cannot fathom that Palin could be qualified. Executive experience as a small town mayor and 1.5 years as governor of Alaska, which if anyone has any experience with Alaska, knows they have an Alaska for Alaskans attitude in politics, is not experience on national or international affairs. I'm not saying the Alaska for Alaskans is the wrong attitude to have, but it is not what keeps one in touch with national or international issues.
    She has to study up on what a vp does? My God!! I'm willing to bet she's getting intense tutoring right now on things such as how many national state departments there are and what does each one do.
    Oh my...
    At least she is number 2 on the ticket..Barrack is #1 and he has even less experience in public office....
    But lets take a look at Barracks experience..Here are only three of many..
    1) He sat in a church for 20 years with his ''mentor'' an American hating, racist preacher....Even Oprah Winfrey left that church....

    2) He has experience with terrorist..They are ''HIS'' friends. Rashid Khalidi and William Ayers...So he does have foreign policy experience..

    3) He is experienced in the housing market...Oh yes, his other friend ''Tony Rezko'' the felon afterall got him his 1.5 MILLION DOLLAR HOME...


    I wanted to listen and watch the republican convention because I wanted to give a fair chance to them making their point. I cannot think of anything they could say.
    Obama has been working on national issues and local issues that have national consequence his entire life. He gave up a promising legal career to do so. He has nominated a respected senator who has many years of experience working on national and international issues who also happens to be very much an ordinary guy who went home to be with his family every night.
    Joe Biden would have been a far better choice for president that Barack.
    Atleast he is American and has a birth certificate to prove it..What is odd is that
    ''Barack'' was ''different'' he was the ''agent of change'' and he is nothing more that a lying politician who will say anything to get elected as is proof in his choice of VP...

    The one thing I've noticed is that conservatives seem to think that liberals hate America because they want things to be better for average people, believe we should live by and make laws by the constitution, should keep politics and religion separate, and that leaders should have to live by the same laws as everyone else and not be able to dictate them as they see fit.
    I just don't get how politics has gotten to such a low state of affairs in this country and I guess Winston Churchill was right when he said," I believe in democaracy until I spend 10 minutes talking to an average voter". or words to that effect.
    This goes both ways...One needs to define what a Liberal and what a Conservative really is....

    You have Bible believing conservatives and you have conservatives..There is a difference...

    With Liberals you have some some that think they are Christians but don't believe the bible or parts of it and those do tend to love their country as well...

    Then you have your liberals who could care less about religion and there you have some who do and some who don't...

    The ultra liberals hate America...There are few of them, but they make allot of noise...

    I do not believe there are many true democrats left...Sure they vote as democrat, but I remember reading about a time when Democrats where about the family...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  4. #29
    project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa state
    Posts
    11,195

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    And mccain just wants to dump his faithful wife for young rich women and kill civilians in unwarranted wars........and Palin wants to teach creationism in public school as though its a fact for crying out loud......we will never get anywhere here and I'm not responding or reading anymore.
    Keep Shooting!

    CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

    Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

  5. #30
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    And mccain just wants to dump his faithful wife for young rich women and kill civilians in unwarranted wars
    Not defending McCain, but these are some outrageous claims.
    I would like to see the evidence for this...

    ........and Palin wants to teach creationism in public school as though its a fact for crying out loud......
    Well, it is a fact and evolution can easily be dis-proved...This is a topic for another thread.


    we will never get anywhere here and I'm not responding or reading anymore.
    Maybe not, but I was merely responding to what you wrote...No need to get bent all out shape. We can agree to disagree...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  6. #31
    Senior Member Anbesol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,430

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    If your speaking of the GOP ticket, I am not a fan or supporter of McCain, but this is clearly a decision based on the lesser of two evils...At least with McCain he is pro life, will not raise taxes and will protect us and
    I think Obama is the lesser of two evils. I am also anti-baby-killing myself, but there are issues in this election cycle that make themselves more pertinent than abortion, which is really sad to say. Lets face it, War is not pro-life... Our aggression in the middle east is having an adverse affect on America, as a culture, as an economy, and our vision. McCain wan'ts to expand and continue this aggressive path. I cannot endorse him because of this, it doesn't matter what other policies he has or anything, this alone is enough to scare me off. War is, after all, a pretty big deal. It just so happens that he also has some really bad domestic policies as well... And let me reitterate, Obama will raise taxes only for the wealthier 5% of US. But, I would rather pay more taxes in a good economy, then pay less in a bad economy.

    Yeah - I am not very much a 'democrat', when you get right down to the core principles and philosophies I am much more republican. However, I vote more often democrat than republican, because I am sick and tired of the *******s on republican tickets. I'm a little less sick of the *******s on the democratic ticket, case and point, Obama....

  7. #32
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I think Obama is the lesser of two evils. I am also anti-baby-killing myself, but there are issues in this election cycle that make themselves more pertinent than abortion, which is really sad to say. Lets face it, War is not pro-life... Our aggression in the middle east is having an adverse affect on America, as a culture, as an economy, and our vision. McCain wan'ts to expand and continue this aggressive path. I cannot endorse him because of this, it doesn't matter what other policies he has or anything, this alone is enough to scare me off. War is, after all, a pretty big deal. It just so happens that he also has some really bad domestic policies as well... And let me reitterate, Obama will raise taxes only for the wealthier 5% of US. But, I would rather pay more taxes in a good economy, then pay less in a bad economy.

    Yeah - I am not very much a 'democrat', when you get right down to the core principles and philosophies I am much more republican. However, I vote more often democrat than republican, because I am sick and tired of the *******s on republican tickets. I'm a little less sick of the *******s on the democratic ticket, case and point, Obama....
    I am not going to defend ''that'' war...I used to be a supporter of the IRAQ war and still believe it was right in removing Saddam, but it really has been run badly...It is a Quagmire as they say...

    How ever, war in many cases is necessary and a must...Again another topic...

    As far as Taxes go, Obama will raise Taxes on all households who make over 90K a year... This is far more than 5% you say....Think Social security....
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  8. #33
    Member big baldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Geneva, florida USA
    Posts
    324

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    There is no difference between ''Barack Hussein Obama'' and Osama bin Laden...
    They both kill human beings....
    Are you serious???!!! Your comparing Barack Obama to Osama Bin Laden???!!Wow!1 I dont even know how to respond to this.......I find it quite offensive to be honest.

    My wife and I both Got pregnant when we where in High school and have been very happily married now for 22 going on 23 years...The same thing happened to us as has happened to many family's..When we where pregnant with our second child, it was recommended to us to kill, I mean to terminate the fetus up until the 8th month because she was going to be a down syndrome baby and we where far to young to deal with that...We chose to have Krisanie Grace and as it turns out God blessed us with a perfectly healthy baby girl....
    I'm real happy for you and your wife, it sounds like that was the right decision for you two. Why is that any of my business or some old guys in Washington??

    I dont understand why it is ANYONES business what goes on in my wifes uterus. To me, that is the perfect definition of "big Government" which republicans are sooo strongly against.

    What Frog said about John "Bush" McCain messing around on his first wife with Cindy is nothing but the truth......Nice family values! I cant remember if that was before or after Cindy McCain was addicted to pain killers and was getting illegal prescriptions written for her. Hmmm.......Thats the "moral majority"for ya!!

    Have a nice day.
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

  9. #34
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Like I said, I am not defending McCain, but I see that none here have reputed the charges that I made against Barack Obama...Like it or not, he is a Baby killer, terrorist loving, American hating, flip flopping no experience, most liberal senator in the senate running for president. The fact that he is running for President is,,,,, Now that's offensive..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  10. #35
    GB1
    GB1 is offline
    Moderator GB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    9,960

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    I think she's got a lot of energy but is also a bit of a traditional Rep in that she is 100% sure that she's right most all of the time. I watched an interview with her and she seems to get off on the soapbox on prearranged script.

    The fact that she supposedly is/was in a group that challenges that humans have anything to do with global warning (contrary to scientific evidence) and is/was pro "intelligent design" (see my last bracketed note) lowers her stock with me.

    This election will suck. I don't really care for either package. Obama is OK but I don't think his "plans" amount to a hill of beans. I also do not believe he is out for "Change" - his answer to everything domestic seems to be to raise taxes, which is unfair and idiotic. McCain is another nice guy but he seems too tired for the job and seems more a round-off-the-edges-of-someone-else's-plan guy than a leader or original thinker. He's also sold out to numerous Rep party factions to get the nomination.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    My Site

  11. #36
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    For those of you voting for Barack obama, my question is why?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  12. #37
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I think she's got a lot of energy but is also a bit of a traditional Rep in that she is 100% sure that she's right most all of the time. I watched an interview with her and she seems to get off on the soapbox on prearranged script.
    I would say most politicians are this way.

    The fact that she supposedly is/was in a group that challenges that humans have anything to do with global warning (contrary to scientific evidence) and is/was pro "intelligent design" (see my last bracketed note) lowers her stock with me.
    Global warming is not new. It was first discovered 500 Years ago...Evolution is completely false as science can't explain where ''matter'' came from..Atleast from a creationist point of view, we have our Faith that the Creator, the one and only God that is spoken about in the scriptures created everything from Nothing...

    This election will suck. I don't really care for either package. Obama is OK but I don't think his "plans" amount to a hill of beans. I also do not believe he is out for "Change" - his answer to everything domestic seems to be to raise taxes, which is unfair and idiotic. McCain is another nice guy but he seems too tired for the job and seems more a round-off-the-edges-of-someone-else's-plan guy than a leader or original thinker. He's also sold out to numerous Rep party factions to get the nomination.
    I agree with this except for the italic...Barack is NOT ok.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  13. #38
    Senior Member Anbesol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,430

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    JG - I will be voting Obama very grudgingly. I am not happy that I will be voting for him, I am simply terrified of McCain entering the white house. In an ideal world, I would be voting Ron Paul, but he not being part of big oil and Israel lobbies, of course, becomes marginalized by the brainwashing corporate media. Really, I am looking forward to the day when a candidate enters office who is not owned by Zionists and Oil boys. So long as CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and the likes remain the primary influence over the American peoples minds, I cant see that happening.

    Maybe the next president, whoever it will be, will screw our country up so much that we may find our selves finally looking beyond the media and into what is really going on.... Or maybe the downward spiral our country is going in is a never ending abyss, and ignorance will remain until the empire falls. With the crimes and actions of our present administration, and the general populations complicit attitude, who knows what will happen.

    JG - what gives you the impression that the Israeli occupation of Palestine is legally justifiable?

  14. #39
    Moderator Didache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    2,040

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Hi all .. I am not American (and therefore have no right to vote) but I did live in the US for 9 of my formative years (during which my father was naturalised) so I have a "foot in both camps" in a sense. However, a couple of points come up here which really cannot pass without comment.

    a) comparing Barack Obama with an international terrorist mastermind may be hyperbole, but it is offensive hyperbole. Not all of us are pro-life in every case, and while we can appreciate that others may have different views, comparing pro-choice views with Osama Bin Laden frankly does not make for a good case as well as being grossly insulting to those of us who take a pro-choice stance. No matter how profoundly we may disagree on certain issues, at least let's be civil in our language to one another. We are not monsters, even if we sometimes disagree.

    b) "Evolution is completely false as science can't explain where ''matter'' came from" - that has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, to do with evolution (which is entirely concerned with the development of the variety of life on earth.) Again, while we may have different views on things like evolution, at least please let's understand what it is and is not about. An apparent misunderstanding of the subject does not help to make a good case.

    Having said all that, the question of who you elect is a matter of huge interest even to those outside your borders. I will continue to follow the events and debates over the next two months - hopefully it will all be done in a good spirit.

    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

  15. #40
    Member big baldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Geneva, florida USA
    Posts
    324

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    For those of you voting for Barack obama, my question is why?
    Simple
    1. I will pay less taxes(do your research......dont just say what Rush or O'reilly says)
    2.I want someone who is, and has the ability to be, diplomatic.(not just rush to military force)
    3. I want someone who knows where Iraq is and which countries border it.
    4. I want someone who looks out for the best interests of our country.(not nominate a VP who has NO IDEA of whats going on in the world)
    5. The last time dems were in power, we were left with a surplus....no national debt.(what is it now????)
    6. Healthcare plan. (at least he recognizes that there is a problem)
    7. hes a "baby killer" ( i guess by being pro-choice that makes him a baby killer.....drrrr)
    8. Hes all for stem cell research.
    9. Hes doesnt flip flop like John "Bush" McCain just to get ahead in the election.
    10.Hes not John "Bush" McCain!!!!!!!
    Those are just a few, but there are plenty more.
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

  16. #41
    Member big baldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Geneva, florida USA
    Posts
    324

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    a) comparing Barack Obama with an international terrorist mastermind may be hyperbole, but it is offensive hyperbole. Not all of us are pro-life in every case, and while we can appreciate that others may have different views, comparing pro-choice views with Osama Bin Laden frankly does not make for a good case as well as being grossly insulting to those of us who take a pro-choice stance. No matter how profoundly we may disagree on certain issues, at least let's be civil in our language to one another. We are not monsters, even if we sometimes disagree.
    Well said!!
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

  17. #42
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Mike, before I respond to your post, may I ask.
    Are you pro choice or pro life?

    Do you hold to God creating the world in 6 days or to the big bang theory?

    Just want to know where you are coming from.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  18. #43
    Moderator Didache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    2,040

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    jgredline - it has nothing to do with my views on these or any other issues: it is the question of how you address those of other views which I was talking about.

    However, as you ask: I don't think the abortion issue can be summed up as "pro life" vs "pro choice" - there are variations even within those camps and the moral questions are complex. Nobody thinks abortion is a "good" thing and virtually everyone I know who has ever had one, or opted not to have one, has had to make a very hard decision which is not always easy to live with. The issue (to me) is to recognise that NEITHER side takes this lightly and therefore it is unfair for EITHER side to regard the other as evil/monstrous/delete as applicable. For myself, I do not regard abortion as a moral good but I would not want to take the choice away from women (with certain caveats such as time, etc). You may call that "pro-choice" - I prefer to think of it as a difficult modern issue which has strong arguments on both sides. You have to remember also that I do not live in the US, but in the UK where the issue does not have the same resonance as it does for you.

    On your other point, I am certainly not a young earth creationist (which I presume you are from your earlier comments). I am quite content with the view that God gave us brains and inquiring minds and that scientific understanding is not at odds with religious faith. Indeed, many scientists through the ages (eg Gregor Mendel, Michael Faraday, even Sir Isaac Newton) regarded their scientific work as "glorifying to God" because it made clear the wonder of his creation.

    However, whether or not you agree with me (I am guessing you don't!), my point was simply that people DO take varying views and they do so often after considerable thought and in full awareness of the moral/ethical/religious questions which are raised. Please don't demonise them - as you would not expect to be demonised by them.

    Regards
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

  19. #44
    GB1
    GB1 is offline
    Moderator GB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    9,960

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by jgredline

    Global warming is not new. It was first discovered 500 Years ago...Evolution is completely false as science can't explain where ''matter'' came from..Atleast from a creationist point of view, we have our Faith that the Creator, the one and only God that is spoken about in the scriptures created everything from Nothing...
    J, the problem here is that you're merging religion and science into one big hunkin' blob. Science is based on proof. Religion is not. There's too many illogical statements on this thread for me to even begin to address, but science does not say that there isn't a God. It simply states that things changed (evolved) slowly over many billions of years. Scientists are not necessarily atheists - case in point, Albert Einstein, a very religious man. But for religious people to completely shut their mind and refuse to look at scientific evidence .. well, that's their prerogative.

    GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    My Site

  20. #45
    Senior Member Anbesol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,430

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Simple
    1. I will pay less taxes(do your research......dont just say what Rush or O'reilly says)
    If I recall correctly - Obama stated his tax proposals would impact people making $250,000 and more.
    2.I want someone who is, and has the ability to be, diplomatic.(not just rush to military force)
    Judging by his statements in his speech at AIPAC, I don't think we have found ourselves an objective impartial candidate.
    5. The last time dems were in power, we were left with a surplus....no national debt.(what is it now????)
    The surplus was in the millions, now its 9.5 trillion of debt. But what are the dem's doing in congress right now? Last I recall theyve been the most complicit do-nothings the house has seen.
    6. Healthcare plan. (at least he recognizes that there is a problem)
    His health care plan is not even a halfway health care plan. It is merely the very minimum amount of change that he can actually try to pass off and pander to Americans as 'universal healthcare'. I am a strong proponent to REAL universal health care, and Obamas misses the mark and doesn't solve any of the real problems facing the American health care crisis. What little good it might ever do I am anxious to see, but I am inclined to believe the problems it creates would at least equally balance what good it does.
    7. hes a "baby killer" ( i guess by being pro-choice that makes him a baby killer.....drrrr)
    From my perspective, supporting abortion is in essence 'killing babies'. As offensive as it is to those in the pro-choice camp, it is equally offensive to us who respect the child as a living being from conception that you would call its life value the "choice" of the mother. So even the invocation of the term "pro-choice" is offensive to us. The issue isn't that simple in the legal system though, and we have a ways to go before we can just solve this issue in one easy step, so I don't stake any serious political position in it, but a strong personal and moral position.
    10.Hes not John "Bush" McCain!!!!!!!
    Thats a good point...

    Do you hold to God creating the world in 6 days or to the big bang theory?
    This question wasn't addressed towards me, but I am curious as to whether you really believe that its such a black and white two option answer...

  21. #46
    Member big baldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Geneva, florida USA
    Posts
    324

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    :
    I don't think the abortion issue can be summed up as "pro life" vs "pro choice" - there are variations even within those camps and the moral questions are complex. Nobody thinks abortion is a "good" thing and virtually everyone I know who has ever had one, or opted not to have one, has had to make a very hard decision which is not always easy to live with. The issue (to me) is to recognise that NEITHER side takes this lightly and therefore it is unfair for EITHER side to regard the other as evil/monstrous/delete as applicable. For myself, I do not regard abortion as a moral good but I would not want to take the choice away from women (with certain caveats such as time, etc). You may call that "pro-choice" - I prefer to think of it as a difficult modern issue which has strong arguments on both sides.
    Very well put. I 100% agree.
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

  22. #47
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Ok, since this appears to be directed at me, lets take a look here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    Hi all .. I am not American (and therefore have no right to vote) but I did live in the US for 9 of my formative years (during which my father was naturalised) so I have a "foot in both camps" in a sense. However, a couple of points come up here which really cannot pass without comment.
    OK,,

    a) comparing Barack Obama with an international terrorist mastermind may be hyperbole, but it is offensive hyperbole. Not all of us are pro-life in every case,
    What else do you call a person who has terrorist for friends? ''Rashid Khalidi and William Ayers''...He refuses to denounce them... Tell me...When is the Murder of a child OK?

    and while we can appreciate that others may have different views, comparing pro-choice views with Osama Bin Laden frankly does not make for a good case as well as being grossly insulting to those of us who take a pro-choice stance.
    So how do you reconcile being a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and condone the murder of innocent lives? Help me to understand. I can see folks who don't know the Lord believing that way, but ???

    No matter how profoundly we may disagree on certain issues, at least let's be civil in our language to one another. We are not monsters, even if we sometimes disagree.
    As I said to Frog, I have no problem agreeing to disagree...

    b) "Evolution is completely false as science can't explain where ''matter'' came from" - that has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, to do with evolution (which is entirely concerned with the development of the variety of life on earth.) Again, while we may have different views on things like evolution, at least please let's understand what it is and is not about. An apparent misunderstanding of the subject does not help to make a good case.
    There is ''MICRO'' Evolution that I believe in which is quite different than the big bang theory...I would be happy to debate this in another thread...


    Having said all that, the question of who you elect is a matter of huge interest even to those outside your borders. I will continue to follow the events and debates over the next two months - hopefully it will all be done in a good spirit.

    Mike
    Sounds good.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  23. #48
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    JG - I will be voting Obama very grudgingly. I am not happy that I will be voting for him, I am simply terrified of McCain entering the white house. In an ideal world, I would be voting Ron Paul,
    And I respect this...The fact that your voting regardless of choice gives one the right to voice his/her opinion...

    My choice would have been Mike Huckabee or Ron Paul...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  24. #49
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    J, the problem here is that you're merging religion and science into one big hunkin' blob. Science is based on proof. Religion is not. There's too many illogical statements on this thread for me to even begin to address, but science does not say that there isn't a God. It simply states that things changed (evolved) slowly over many billions of years. Scientists are not necessarily atheists - case in point, Albert Einstein, a very religious man. But for religious people to completely shut their mind and refuse to look at scientific evidence .. well, that's their prerogative.

    GB
    G,
    I believe it all does go hand in hand, but as I said, this should be another thread.
    I would be happy to discuss my views on this.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

  25. #50
    Member big baldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Geneva, florida USA
    Posts
    324

    Re: And McCain chooses...

    His health care plan is not even a halfway health care plan. It is merely the very minimum amount of change that he can actually try to pass off and pander to Americans as 'universal healthcare'. I am a strong proponent to REAL universal health care, and Obamas misses the mark and doesn't solve any of the real problems facing the American health care crisis. What little good it might ever do I am anxious to see, but I am inclined to believe the problems it creates would at least equally balance what good it does.
    I agree with you, but it is a step in the right direction. One problem it will solve is the insurance company "rate up" and their "un-insurable" way of doing things at this time.
    I am one of the "lucky" ones who doesn't have a group policy. I have an individual policy. Right now as it stands, if I get cancer or some other horrible sickness, my insurance company can raise my rates where I couldn't afford it or just cancel me all together.

    Health insurance is the BIGGEST racket in our society today. I've had my health insurance license since 2000. I havent used it for some time, but some of the things I saw were horrendous. Telling people that they were "too heavy" for us to insure them. Or they have a "pre-existing condition", those who need the help the most. Its a totally backwards system. Anyone ever had to pay the federally mandated COBRA? For me it was $900 a month.
    I think you should be able to walk into a clinic, pay $20, get a MRI or CT scan, and walk out with your records.Just think how many heart-attacks would be stopped or early detection of breast cancer.

    I'd like to hear from our mates across the pond.
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •