PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: 3 years

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

3 years

Bush's Iraq war is now three years old. The number of American lives lost is approaching the number of lives lost on 911. The number of Iraqi lives lost has been estimated at 30,000. Bush predicts many more years of American troup presence in Iraq:

President George W. Bush held out the possibility on Tuesday of a U.S. troop presence in Iraq for many years, saying a full withdrawal would depend on decisions by future U.S. presidents and Iraqi governments.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news..._0_UK-BUSH.xml

His job approval rating is now around 37%. His approval rating, like our image in the international community, peaked in the months following September 11 and has slid steadily downward since.

When will we correct for this grave error, and who will be the one to do it?

[/rant]
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Bush's Iraq war is now three years old. The number of American lives lost is approaching the number of lives lost on 911. The number of Iraqi lives lost has been estimated at 30,000. Bush predicts many more years of American troup presence in Iraq:

President George W. Bush held out the possibility on Tuesday of a U.S. troop presence in Iraq for many years, saying a full withdrawal would depend on decisions by future U.S. presidents and Iraqi governments.

His job approval rating is now around 37%. His approval rating, like our image in the international community, peaked in the months following September 11 and has slid steadily downward since.

When will we correct for this grave error, and who will be the one to do it?

[/rant]
    Even for Bush, I believe that satisfaction poll numbers don't mean much. Congress is just as much at fault as Bush. People ae fickle and easily swayed either way.

Getting out is not something we do! We still have troops all over Europe and Japan from the days of WW II. We have troops in Korea. We have troops across the Pacific. We have troops in the Middle East. We will have troops in Iraq for eternity.

The "war" in Iraq, never declared by Congress, was based on lies and deception. Even Colin Powell knowingly presented falsified images and data of WMDs to the world at the UN. Yeah, he said after retirement that he regretted doing that but an apology doesn't fix anything. Bush thought we would waltz into Iraq just like his father did. The Iraq military would surrender and we would be hailed as liberators. That fantasy, the product of a dim-witted mind, has messed up this country badly.

We are now spending over $8 billion a month in Iraq. The new budget cuts essential services, even school breakfasts for poor children and what there is of health care. Our protection from terrorism is still not in place although a zillion administrators are collecting salaries.Bush tries to sell our ports to an Arab country with known links to terrorism. Our borders are as leaky as ever with Bush suggesting that illegals be made citizens. Any terrorist can move into this country across Mexio without a problem.

The deficit has skyrocketed to levels much higher than any other administration in history. Oil companies are price gouging at will. Haliburton and other shady companies are picking our pockets clean. Soldiers are being attacked more and more as civil war looks more and more likely. Bush still has no plan, no direction, no idea what to do next except spread the word "Don't worry, be happy."

This fall, I am voting against all incumbents at all levels of government regardless of party. If the voters have the will, an extremely strong message can be sent to polititians that we are sick of all the nonsense. Of course, come election time, voters won't care. Its the downside of America, people. No civilization lasts forever, at least we had a great run.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Wow, Michael pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.

The most important thing to point out is that Bush is just the poster boy for what has become a system that is so screwed up on so many fronts that you simply can not rely on either party for doing the right thing. I now wonder if you ever really could.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Just remember through all of this;

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DID NOT VOTE FOR GEORGE W. BUSH

When things get sh*tty like this, I recall that fact and it brightens up my day. If every vote counted equally in America, Bush would never had been elected. That's not to say that Gore would have done a better job... no, wait, Gore would have done a better job!

I think Sebastian is right, at this point the mahine is running the people, putting into office who it needs to continue breathing. Until someone steps up and returns the power to the people, the political machine will continue to run us into the ground.

Michael is right. Not all civilizations last forever. We are still only a few hundred years old. Like Rome, it appears our arrogance will be the end of us! How many thousands of new terrorists are being bread on a new hatred of the US in the middle east? The old wisdom holds, that which you fear the most you will inevitably create.

Go Bush.
    Walter Rick Long

A Washington Post blog on Bush's press conference yesterday, etc:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032200400.html
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    no, wait, Gore would have done a better job!
    No, no he wouldn't have. We'd have the same incompetency in the office, but it would have been and overtly passive and ineffective incompetency. Is an overly aggressive incompetency better than a passive incompetency? I dunno. What I do know is that I'm pro-JUSTIFIED war. I was, and still am, for going into Afghanistan. Iraq I take issues with, and our treatment of the constitution in our "homeland."

We are just as insecure as we were on September 10th.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I'm firmly convinced we're in Iraq because Saddam tried to kill his Daddy. I've done three tours in that cesspool and I'm of the opinion we dictate the terms to them, if they don't like the terms, we fry them. That simple. They don't know HOW to have democracy in the middle east. Islam mires them back in the stone age, so maybe we should just help them back to it. Boom, we're done. It'd really serve notice to Iran too. The whole war has been micromanaged by Rumsfeld who's an idiot. If we'd have listened to the Army Chief of Staff at the time we were building up, General Shinseki, we wouldn't be in this mess. We'd have gone in with overwhelming force, instead we (the military) cowtowed to Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Wolfowitz, and now we're screwed. Notice that two of these people didn't even serve in the military.

Condaleeza Rice admits "thousands" of errors in Iraq, but sticks by the wisdom of the invasion:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...N-USA-RICE.xml
    Walter Rick Long

Thread Information