PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Bloggin Teacher

GB1

Post Bloggin Teacher

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...hot-water.html

PS - I think she deserves a medal.

But I guess you can't do this sorta stuff ... you might hurt the little bastards' feelings

Excerpts...

Munroe went on in the same post to list some of the comments she would “like to see added to the canned comment list.” They include:
    Advertisement

* “Concerned your kid is automaton, as she just sits there emotionless for an entire 90 minutes, staring into the abyss, never volunteering to speak or do anything.”

* “Too smart for her own good and refuses to play the school ‘game’ such that she’ll never live up to her true potential here.”

* “Seems smarter than she actually is.”

* “Has no business being in Honors.”

* “A complete and utter jerk in all ways. Although academically OK, your child has no other redeeming qualities.”

* “Lazy.”

* “Shy isn’t cute in 11th grade; it’s annoying. Must learn to advocate for himself instead of having Mommy do it.”

* “Dunderhead.”

* “Nowhere near as good as her sibling. Are you sure they’re related?”

* “Rat-like.”

* “Frightfully dim.”

* “Just as bad as his sibling. Don’t you know how to raise kids?”

* “Dresses like a streetwalker.”

* “Whiny, simpering grade-grubber with an unrealistically high perception of own ability level.”
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Bleepin' Teacher

When I saw this on the news, one thing went through my head: Why is this person a teacher? It isn't about hurting the feelings of her students, although younger ones can be permanently scarred, it's about not having what it takes to be a good instructor.

This teacher is a bubblehead and should have her license revoked: good for her students and an incentive for her to find a more suitable vocation.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

GB1

Re: Bleepin' Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    When I saw this on the news, one thing went through my head: Why is this person a teacher? It isn't about hurting the feelings of her students, although younger ones can be permanently scarred, it's about not having what it takes to be a good instructor.

This teacher is a bubblehead and should have her license revoked: good for her students and an incentive for her to find a more suitable vocation.
    But that still doesn't address her observations that the system is so PC that she can't state the obvious. I think her 'new' canned comments list items were tongue and cheek btw
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Bloggin Teacher

20 years ago my Mother ran into similar issues, comments on a child's school report can stay with them through the education system as it passes from class to class, teacher to teacher, moving with them in the school.

She found it was so hard to put anything but safe, meaningless, comments.
    That wasn't PC, it was her concern not to make a comment that would inadvertently block a child's progress.
    They grow, they develop, hopefully they improve

Those comments seem more than tongue in cheek, it's poking so hard it might come out the other side

I like this from the article: "Having read much of the blog last night, as well as all of the comments by former students on those posts, it seems to me like most of the parties involved in this debate are living in homes ill-equipped for rock throwing."

What she's done is posted it publicly, instead of having the sense to SHUT UP.
    She broke the law "don't get caught", you can't be fired for your thoughts - yet ...

And some of the kids probably do sit there withdrawn, or think the sun shines out their ***, or act like jerks - they're kids DUH !
    If you're lucky they grow up and mature while still at school.
    Yeah, right.
    I didn't.

All my old reports were thrown away, but I'm sure I got a few of those "coded" messages from teacher to teacher (I mentioned my Mother was a teacher, right?) in my end of term reports.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

n8

As an addictions counselor, I work with the population(s) she's probably talking about, but certainly not all of them, and as a therapist, sometimes the worst thing for the kid is to sugar coat and avoid. Granted, my kids are 16-20, have gone through their share of hard times, and all of that, but sometimes lazy is just lazy, and entitled is just entitled. I give her kudo's for posting, and I think it's sad that her job is at risk for speaking the truth.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n8
    As an addictions counselor, I work with the population(s) she's probably talking about, but certainly not all of them, and as a therapist, sometimes the worst thing for the kid is to sugar coat and avoid. Granted, my kids are 16-20, have gone through their share of hard times, and all of that, but sometimes lazy is just lazy, and entitled is just entitled. I give her kudo's for posting, and I think it's sad that her job is at risk for speaking the truth.
    Very wrong approach. As a teacher, I tell students the truth. But I do NOT belittle them, humiliate them, get nasty with them, insult them, abuse them, talk about them to other people without their permission. Here at the college, all of this would constitute a violation of FERPA, the privacy laws protecting students from errant teachers.

This "teacher" is not being a champion against PC, fighting sugary coatings, or promoting honesty. She is just being flat out common nasty. No one should believe that these actions are a good thing in any way. There is no way she should ever have chosen teaching as a profession.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Thread Information