• 05-01-2006, 09:58 AM
    walterick
    Just watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy this weekend
    I have been told over and over again that I would like this triology. So finally last Friday I rented all three, turned down the lights and watched one each night with the Return of the King coming last night.

I have to say that I enjoyed the series, though my expectations were high due to all the buzz. I have not read the books, btw. It was not a "great" series by any means, though it definitely was impactful and has stuck with me in my thoughts and mental images since.

I think the first one was the best of the three. I think the director got a little carried away with the battle scenes. We've all already seen "Braveheart." The scenes of two lines of soldiers clashing has worn thin. The magic stuff was pretty cool though.

It was a different kind of story in that the main character, Frodo, really didn't undergo a personal journey like most movie protagonists (if he qualified for that) do. It was more like, just stay alive Frodo! I guess the real personal journey was taken my Aragorn. Though his internal struggle was not apparent.

One thing I have to commend the director for is the casting. Couldn't get any better if you ask me. Particular standouts for me were: Sean Astin as Sam (Rudy! Rudy!), Orlando Bloom was beautiful as the Elf, Ian McClelan was perfect as the wizard, and Viggor Mortenson nearly stole the show as Aragorn. Really strong acting all around!

Other than that, the script was a little bumpy at times, though in watching the extra features it apparently was quite the task taking TLOTR from book form to the big screen. That, and too many battle scenes for me are my biggest complaints.

So, any fans? I know it's been a few years, and I have missed all the buzz :) Curious about others' takes on the book and the movie triology.

Rick
  • 05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
    adina
    Re: Just watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy this weekend
    We've seen them all at the theater. After we saw the first, I read the books (all 4, the hobbit and lotr). As usually, the books were better, but I thought the movies were well done. I think that these books were exceptionally difficult to translate to the screen, especially given the following that they have.

I agree with you about Frodo, other than staying alive, he really didn't have much of a role. In the first, he had a more defined character, and was easily recognized as an important role. In the other two, they focused more on Viggo, and what he needed to get to from where he was.

Frodo reminded me of Harry Potter. Yes, he is supposed to be the main character, but really, it's his friends that do all the work.
  • 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    We've seen them all at the theater. After we saw the first, I read the books (all 4, the hobbit and lotr). As usually, the books were better, but I thought the movies were well done. I think that these books were exceptionally difficult to translate to the screen, especially given the following that they have.

I agree with you about Frodo, other than staying alive, he really didn't have much of a role. In the first, he had a more defined character, and was easily recognized as an important role. In the other two, they focused more on Viggo, and what he needed to get to from where he was.

Frodo reminded me of Harry Potter. Yes, he is supposed to be the main character, but really, it's his friends that do all the work.

LOL, I had the same thought about Harry Potter. In fact, at one point I had to remind myself that they were different actors. Yeah, his friends really carried the show didn't they. The thing that bugged me about Frodo was he died... at least once per movie? Everytime they got into a predicament he was getting stabbed with a sword or a spear or a spider stinger. But, miraculously, he always survived. I half expected him to jump into the volcano at the end ;)

Overall I liked the series. It lacked the "movie magic" that I expected, though it was not short on special effects. I can definitely see myself having another LOTR marathon in the future :)
  • 05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
    mjs1973
    I saw the first one in the theater with a buddy of mine, not knowing anything about the movie. I really enjoyed it, but I had no idea it was the first of three movies. I left that night feeling a little lost and dissapointed as the movie just ended right in the middle of the story and never really went anywhere. I think I saw #2 in the theater too, and it all started falling into place. Eventually I spent an entire weekend with all 3 DVD's and watched them all. At the time, I couldn't beleive I was waisting so much time watching these movies. By the time the last one ended, I was wanting more! Overall, I enjoyed the movies and I'm sure I would like the books as well. Just too many other books on my must read list first.
  • 05-02-2006, 05:23 AM
    srobb
    I loved them all. Of course I am a very big LOTR and Tolkien fan from my childhood years. I knew all about it as I had read all 4 books several times over. I though for what he was attempting, Peter Jackson did a stellar job. He of course is also a big LOTR/Tolkien fan himself and I thought it showed with the intensity he brought to his directing.

I think one of the things on the battle scenes is that he actually took some and combined them. For instance in The Two Towers, the battle of Helms Deep is actually combined with another smaller battle which I cannot remember the name of right off.

I really don't think they could have done any better on the casting. Viggor was brilliant as Aragorn. Orlando really brought the Elf character to life as well. Now as to Frodo, I think you have to remember that starting out he was a little on the timid side and not sure of his ability to complete the mission as the ring bearer. I think in each one his resolve grew and he showed a strong character up to the very end at the volcanoe of resisting the ring.

I may have to do another showing myself now. :D :D
  • 05-02-2006, 08:43 AM
    walterick
    They are very long movies. 3 hours each I believe. But the time flew by when I was watching them. I've seen plenty of 1 1/2 hour movies that felt longer than the 3 hour LOTR!

The one part that DID go on forever was the ending. When Frodo and Sam were on the rock in the lava, they said "the end of all things," etc, and the screen went dark. For several seconds. I thought, oh, this is the end? But then it came back on and the wizard came down out of the sky on the eagles and it went on. That whole sequence made me wonder if the book ends on that lava rock, and they were paying homage by putting a break there. From that point on, it dragged for me. Marriage, emotional scenes, bow to the king, bow to the hobbits, cry, say goodbye to Frodo, cry, go home to your kids... it just didn't feel like a solid ending to me. Like they were pulling all the emotion cards and tying up all the loose ends in 15 minutes. I was pretty ready to hit the stop button long before the credits rolled. Good thing the previous 8 hours and 45 minutes had been entertaining :)
  • 05-02-2006, 08:53 AM
    walterick
    Srobb,

I agree that Jackson did a great job with the film. Until I watched the extra features, I didn't realize that Jackson himself had the idea to make the books into a film. He took his screenplay to the first producer with the idea of making 2 films. When the production company told him he had to make 1 film, he started shopping and came to New Line. They watched his short introduction film and said, "there are 3 books right? You need 3 movies!" Thank god Jackson found the right people!

The casting was excellent, as was the acting. I can see what you're saying about Frodo. He certainly had more courage at the end. I think Jackson's fault came in not showing enough of the characters inner struggles. But then, it is a "man" movie and men tend not to like that sort of thing ;)

Yes, all this talk is making me want to watch them again too :)
  • 05-02-2006, 02:51 PM
    ken1953
    Hey...you guys are forgetting Jean Luc....I think he made a great wizard...hehe...
    Ken
  • 05-02-2006, 05:35 PM
    walterick
    You're not confusing him with Captain Picard are you?
  • 05-02-2006, 07:00 PM
    ken1953
    I just did some checking...and yes...I sure did!!! hehehe...was Gandalf, Ian Mckellen? He sure is the spitting image of Patrick Stewart in that get up. Even sounds like him...hehe...well I guess I've got egg all over my face now...hehe...I see this is the same guy that played Magneto in the X-Men with Patrick Stewart...kewl.
    Ken
  • 05-02-2006, 08:24 PM
    walterick
    Yeah, I knew him from somewhere, but I couldn't place him. Then I saw interviews with him on the DVD features I realized, he's MAGNETO! Another series I am a HUGE fan of, btw. Jean Luc could have pulled that roll off too, I'll betcha! ;)
  • 05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
    Stillsky
    I thought they were decent and had some great entertainment value. I didn't see the first one until the second one hit theaters. Unfortunately, when I saw the third in theaters, I wasn't in a very good mood to be watching a movie. A local theater was showing all the 3 in order, no stops, and we thought it would be cool to watch all of them like that because it would build up the momentum for the new release. It was horrible! My poor bladder :( Lol.
  • 05-12-2020, 03:33 PM
    jooeika
    Good day!
    Maybe someone faced the problem of communication with the RADIUS server? If so, tell me where to get a valid API, preferably with good documentation. And I also need to complete several tasks that I was given at the university. I can’t find a quality java programming assignment help service where I could order programming work. Guys, I hope you help me and tell me which service is better to use. Thanks a lot.