PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

James Brown is Dead.....not just a song anymore

James Brown died Christmas morning of heart failure, at the age of 73
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: James Brown is Dead.....not just a song anymore

James had a trademark "schtick". Near the end of a performance, an assistant would come out on stage, cover him with a robe and assist him off the stage. Watching him limp weakly to the side of the stage, you just knew that he had given his all, pouring every ounce of energy into his performance. But as he was about to leave the stage, he would throw the robe off, run back to center stage, and perform one last song.

The man lived his life the same way. Give it everything you have, pour all of your energy into what you do, and when it seems you can't continue, dig deep and tap the reserves. Whatever your opinion of his music, his philosophy towards life was admirable, and the world is a sadder place without him.

-Joe U.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Whatever your opinion of his music, his philosophy towards life was admirable, and the world is a sadder place without him...
    Well, for the sake of an obit, I say we skip past his criminal record and IRS problems, and sum his career up with the two titles he was best known for: "Godfather of Soul" and "the Hardest Working Man in Show Business"... :thumbsup:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Well, for the sake of an obit, I say we skip past his criminal record and IRS problems......
    Yep. Never said the man was perfect. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows are often a byproduct of taking life head-on at full throttle. It's true that most people can't condone his various nefarious activities, but most people never leave their mark in their chosen profession the way he did either. Somehow, Brown's favorite catchphrase "Good God, y'all !" is fitting in both situations.

-Joe U.

The highest of highs and the lowest of lows are often a byproduct of taking life head-on at full throttle.
    That's very true, and we have his music because of it. He's one of those few performers that I really wish I would have seen live. Amazing.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

It's true that most people can't condone his various nefarious activities, but most people never leave their mark in their chosen profession the way he did either...
    No argument here. I guess I just feel kind of the opposite of your quote in my first post. I can't imagine anyone not being a fan of his music, but I'd imagine there are tons of folks that question his character and behavior over the years...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information