PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

I need some help

My wife checks out book cd's from the library to listen to at lunch while she is eating. The cd's are a hassle and she wants something like an MP3 player or I pod touch or something else that is small to put them on long enough to hear them and then erase them so she can record another one to listen to. I do not know anything about how to do this or what I need to get it done. If anyone can clue me in on what I need and how to do it I would very much appreciate the info. This is just so she can transport it easy, not have to worry about return dates and be able to listen to it in the small amounts of time available to her each day. We have no interest at all in keeping it once it has been listened to. Hope some of you can help me out on this, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: I need some help

Jeff, I haven't a clue, but my daughter does it all the time. We bought her an MP3 player a few years ago, and she has done a lot of what you wife is wanting to do. I asked her to answer your question, so here goes...

Some libraries, like through our MontanaLibrary2go, allow you to download an MP3 or Ipod format of the book for a short period of time. Then it's legal and everything. I don't think you're supposed to actually rip the CD's, and I don't know if you can anyways.

Put the CD in the player on a computer, boot up Windows Media Player, and select the rip option. That saves the CD information onto the computer. Then you plug in the MP3 to the computer with a USB cord and sync songs or tracks from the computer to the player. (Usually this option pops up with I plug in my MP3 player) You can do it through Windows media player.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Jeff, I haven't a clue, but my daughter does it all the time. We bought her an MP3 player a few years ago, and she has done a lot of what you wife is wanting to do. I asked her to answer your question, so here goes...

Some libraries, like through our MontanaLibrary2go, allow you to download an MP3 or Ipod format of the book for a short period of time. Then it's legal and everything. I don't think you're supposed to actually rip the CD's, and I don't know if you can anyways.

Put the CD in the player on a computer, boot up Windows Media Player, and select the rip option. That saves the CD information onto the computer. Then you plug in the MP3 to the computer with a USB cord and sync songs or tracks from the computer to the player. (Usually this option pops up with I plug in my MP3 player) You can do it through Windows media player.
    Ken, thanks for your reply. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. My wife wants to do this with BOOKS ON CD that are read and recorded by someone so you can hear the book read and not MUSIC CD's. Is this what your daughter is doing? Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

She does both, and the answer she gave is what she uses for audiobooks, so I think we are talking about the same thing.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    She does both, and the answer she gave is what she uses for audiobooks, so I think we are talking about the same thing.
    Thanks Ken, I just wanted to make sure because I am trying to accomplish something that I know nothing about. Audio books are what she is trying to listen to. Thanks again, Jeff

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    My wife checks out book cd's from the library to listen to at lunch while she is eating. The cd's are a hassle and she wants something like an MP3 player or I pod touch or something else that is small to put them on long enough to hear them and then erase them so she can record another one to listen to. I do not know anything about how to do this or what I need to get it done. If anyone can clue me in on what I need and how to do it I would very much appreciate the info. This is just so she can transport it easy, not have to worry about return dates and be able to listen to it in the small amounts of time available to her each day. We have no interest at all in keeping it once it has been listened to. Hope some of you can help me out on this, Jeff
    All you need is a ripper. On my Mac I use RipIt, a very simple app that creates a digital image useable on anything. Windows has many more choices.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Thanks Michael for the info. I do have a Mac but it also has Windows 7 Professional on it. If I go with an ipod my son was telling me that I can only get downloads from Itunes to put on it. With the MP3 player I could put the CD's on it temporarily so I guess the MP3 is the way to go.

What do I need to look for in an MP3 player? Brand, size of memory, and functions? I know absolutely nothing about them. How many GB would I need for one book? Any info anyone can provide will be very helpful, Jeff

Ipods can get audio files from anywhere and will also rips audio cd's from the library, although strictly speaking this isn't legal in most places copyright laws are such that format shifting (converting a cd to an mp3 or a dvd to an avi) is actually illegal even if you own the disc!

I would strongly recommend an Ipod, but only because the Ipod / I tunes interfaces are easier to use than most others. Also if she gets an Ipod touch she could also download audio books straight from I tunes (some are free and most are only a dollar or so).

anything over 2gb is going to be heaps as it should fit several complete books depending on the size of the recording. At most an audio cd is 800mb, but an mp3 is compressed so you could fit up to 10 or more complete cd's. Getting a bigger one means you can load it up with audio and don't need to connect it to the computer as often to change them. I have well over 6000 audio files from roughly 500 cd's in my collection, and they take up less than 30gb. Of course these figures are going to vary depending on content and the quality level you use to convert them to mp3.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Jeff, if you open iTunes, under the iTunes tab you'll find preferences. Under the 'General' tab in preferences, you'll see the section "WhenYou Insert a CD". Youcan set that anywhere from 'Show CD', which simply creates an icon on the desktop, to "Import CD and Eject".

Now, this is simply FYI. I don't advocate this to you or anyone else. But here's the reality: the library doesn't care if you rip their CD's. In fact, they appreciate it. I work for our local library, and it took me along time to 'get' that. We have people who will come in and check out 20 CD's. Two days later, they turn them in and check out 20 more. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on. But from the library's point of view,what's going on is that you're checking out 60 CD's/ week. That increases their circulation, and it increases the money they get next year. Profit motive, plain and simple. The library will then put that extra money into more books, more CDs, more services.

The purist in me HATES that, and I can't bring myself to do it personally. But in this day and age, when funding for libraries is what it is, you do what you need to. So I seriously doubt that you'll find anyone at the library who will so much as cast a sideways glance at you. Like I said, FYI.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I would like to thank Skyman and Joe for your help with me understanding what I need and how to go about accomplishing it. I tried the instructions posted for using iTunes and it worked just fine. I am surprised just how easy it was for me when I new absolutely nothing about any of this. I tried doing what I wanted to do with my son's older ipod and it worked so now that I know I am good to go if one of you could give me some things to look for on purchasing one it would be great. The way I figure is it will take about 2gb per book so if I get an 8gb that should do everything needed to accomplish what I want. I have looked at ipods and their are many different models and they look pretty much the same to me. If you have any suggestions of memory size or features to get or stay away from please post them. The simpler the better because my wife even knows less about them than I do, Jeff

iPods are great but they come at a premium. I have a Sandisk Sansa player because they are inexpensive, durable, expandable, and they work well.

For example, this Sansa Clip+ is 2 GB for $36. If you decide you want more space you can buy a standard micro SDHC card (the tiny version of the cards we put in our cameras) to expand the capacity.

iPods are not expandable and for the same price you can get a discontinued 1 GB iPod Shuffle that has no screen at all.

iPods & iTunes are probably easier to use, but using Windows Media Player isn't difficult.

It all comes down to your priorities and your budget.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I had a 2GB Sansa Clip that I got free from a company. Never used it much but what I really liked about it was that it had an FM radio built into it. When I couldn't get the radio to stream over the web while at work, I would listen to it on the Sansa.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Matt & Mike thanks for your input, Jeff

I recommend iPods as they are easier to use although they are more expensive. They come in 4 varieties, nano, shuffle, classic and touch with varying sizes / colours. This is simplified further as there are basically two small models and two larger ones and two with basic features and two with more advanced features. The rest is more about what you want to pay. I recommend a trip to an apple store if that is convenient for you, as they can show you the differences, even if you end up buying it elsewhere.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

I don't have an Apple store anywhere close by so I can handle the ipods but I think we will be getting the ipod touch 32gb. This is probably over doing it but my wife never asks for anything so it needs to be something she will be happy with. Thanks everyone for all your help, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    I don't have an Apple store anywhere close by so I can handle the ipods but I think we will be getting the ipod touch 32gb. This is probably over doing it but my wife never asks for anything so it needs to be something she will be happy with. Thanks everyone for all your help, Jeff
    Thats a good choice. Or get her an Iphone. The Ipod Touch can surf the net also. Plus it has a nice camera.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information