PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Lake Powell / Page AZ

Angie thinks that this is a nice place to spend a few days after PMA next year.

I'm concerned that I need to find something with no hiking, either wheelchair pushable or short walking distance - depends on her joints on the day.

Any advice welcome, folks !
    We're going there so I can take photos, but I want her to be able to come along and enjoy it too.
    Maybe we'll even get our at dusk/dawn for some good light.
    But it is meant to be a holiday too, so I might be on my own then
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Lake Powell / Page AZ

If Rick (Walterick) doesn't see this, you may want to send him PM. I know he has spent some time there.

The last time I was there was in 2004. There are some nice views along the lake from the road that Angie would enjoy. The hike to Horseshoe bend might be a little too much for her, but well worth the effort IMO.

When I was there in 1997 (I think that's when it was) we took a boat trip across the lake to Rainbow Bridge National Monument. That would be an easy trip for anyone to see some sites.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

GB1

I was there several times dating back about 4-6 years ago. Small town, has those incredible antelope canyons (DON'T MISS !!!!). There are two separate canyons, you probably want to go to the Upper Canyon because the lower one requires you to climb down into a hole in the ground, a bit challenging with bad knees.

The lake itself looks great too, though I never did anything on it. It is low right now because of the ongoing drought. You can even rent and sleep on a houseboat there (not cheap, but if you check around it may be affordable..). The dam has a visitor's center w/ a lot of interesting stuff. There's places in town that play up to the name, like That DAM Bar etc..

If you've never been to that area of the USA it is a photographer's playground. You can trip and fall down and snap a shot and still get good photos. Best at sunrise & sunset btw

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks, isn't everything better at sunset/rise ?
    Just saw a brief clip in Stephen Fry's "America" series.
    I think we're going to like it...
    PAul

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Thanks, isn't everything better at sunset/rise ?
    Just saw a brief clip in Stephen Fry's "America" series.
    I think we're going to like it...
    Especially in the southwest deserts. Except, strangely enough, Antelope Canyon, which you need to time just right & when the sub peaks through the ceiling at ~ 12:00 noon. The tour guides will get you the details.....
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Yup, the other folks about got it. There is not much hiking around Page/Lake Powell. In fact, effectively there is none. Most of your views of the lake are going to be from road turnouts, from the Marina, etc, or from a boat. There is a short hike in town that is not wheel chair accessible but is not too much of a climb. Otherwise, drive north out of town and just a minute over the Utah line there is a little area called Lone Rock where you can drive right down to the water, set up for a picnic, camp, sit in the lake, take pictures, etc. And don't forget Upper Antelope as GB1 mentioned it is a flat hike. Don't pay for your tour in town just drive right up to the parking area and let the Navajo family who owns the land take you in. Horseshoe is worth it but a harder climb. And you can drive down the cliffs to Marble Canyon and the Vermillion Cliffs they are pretty too, and easily accessible.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

thanks Rick.
    PAul

Thread Information