• 05-03-2005, 03:42 PM
    opus
    I have a music theory question!
    Please help if you know music well. It's a simple question I'm sure, but since music theory is like algebra to me, some things are hard to wrap my brain around, and just a little nudge will make it click.

I'm giving a presentation tomorrow, on a piece I'm analyzing, and this one thing doesn't make sense to me. Like I said, it seems a simple concept.

OK, the piece is in G major. There's a section that uses sequences through the Circle of Fifths to get to the dominant, D.

What doesn't make sense to me is that it goes through some minor chords before getting to Major chords: g, c, f, Bb, A-dim, then D.

Is that still Circle of Fifths? Even through the minor chords? And would the roman numeral analysis be: "i - iv - vii - III - VI - ii° (or V°/V) - V" ?

You wouldn't be helping me cheat by answering this; if I don't get an answer here tonight I'll ask the professor tomorrow. But I want to feel like I totally understand my piece before tomorrow.
  • 05-04-2005, 11:38 PM
    jar_e
    Re: I have a music theory question!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybean
    Please help if you know music well. It's a simple question I'm sure, but since music theory is like algebra to me, some things are hard to wrap my brain around, and just a little nudge will make it click.

I'm giving a presentation tomorrow, on a piece I'm analyzing, and this one thing doesn't make sense to me. Like I said, it seems a simple concept.

OK, the piece is in G major. There's a section that uses sequences through the Circle of Fifths to get to the dominant, D.

What doesn't make sense to me is that it goes through some minor chords before getting to Major chords: g, c, f, Bb, A-dim, then D.

Is that still Circle of Fifths? Even through the minor chords? And would the roman numeral analysis be: "i - iv - vii - III - VI - ii? (or V?/V) - V" ?

You wouldn't be helping me cheat by answering this; if I don't get an answer here tonight I'll ask the professor tomorrow. But I want to feel like I totally understand my piece before tomorrow.

Let me give this a whirl. I'm not totally understanding everything, but let me try. I believe when going to the minor chords in the G major key, it disregards the circle of fifths. Though it is the circle of fifths to another key, it is not the circle of fifths with the minors. I believe however that the roman numerals would stay the same, as minor/major has no affect on those (that I know of).

I hope that helps:confused:
  • 05-04-2005, 11:48 PM
    opus
    I gave my presentation today; I'm not sure how I did because I was the second person to present. I'll be better able to compare how I did with others once the rest give their presentations. But I felt like I froze up, as I usually do when put on the spot in music theory class. I can answer the questions in my head usually, but when asked directly I freeze and can't think of the correct term.

That's the only class that happens to me in. The rest of my classes I'm usually leading the discussion. But I think I'm just really bad at remembering terms, plus I find theory to be very hard. But interesting!

I had fun doing my analyses, and wish I had given myself more time to do a more thorough job.

But to answer my own question above, yeah it's circle of fifths, doesn't matter if it modulates through major, minor, diminished, whatever chords. And I had the roman numeral analysis right.

Analyzing Mozart is always fascinating, of course!
  • 05-05-2005, 07:29 AM
    almo
    Quote:

Is that still Circle of Fifths? Even through the minor chords? And would the roman numeral analysis be: "i - iv - vii - III - VI - ii° (or V°/V) - V" ?

I would try underexposing by 2/3 of a stop.
  • 05-05-2005, 08:19 AM
    jar_e
    Quote:

But to answer my own question above, yeah it's circle of fifths, doesn't matter if it modulates through major, minor, diminished, whatever chords. And I had the roman numeral analysis right.

Analyzing Mozart is always fascinating, of course!

What a suprise, I was wrong:p

Almo, buddy, get your act together:D
  • 05-05-2005, 09:16 AM
    opus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo
    I would try underexposing by 2/3 of a stop.

... duh! ... But of course!

~slapping forehead~

I should have thought of that. It would have turned out so much better! :D
  • 05-05-2005, 09:32 AM
    Asylum Steve
    I had the answer, but I thought...
    ...it would be much better if you figured it out for yourself... ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to one of my favorite classical pieces,

"Slavonik Dance in a G-String..." :D
  • 05-05-2005, 10:35 AM
    another view
    Ugh... Gotta get some aspirin after reading thru this... Sorry, I'm self taught and play by ear! :rolleyes:
  • 05-05-2005, 02:16 PM
    opus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Ugh... Gotta get some aspirin after reading thru this... Sorry, I'm self taught and play by ear! :rolleyes:

Steve, I play by ear too, but reached the point where I felt I could not grow anymore unless I learned a) to sight read, and b) more about the mechanics of music.

Plus I wanted to communicate it with other musicians, being able to express what I liked and didn't like. ("Hey, that sounds good, but I think a minor third in the middle of the second verse would sound absolutely fantastic!")
  • 05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
    villenadecorte
    Kelly you have so many talents. I am impressed.
  • 05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Steve, I play by ear too, but reached the point where I felt I could not grow anymore unless I learned a) to sight read, and b) more about the mechanics of music.

Plus I wanted to communicate it with other musicians, being able to express what I liked and didn't like. ("Hey, that sounds good, but I think a minor third in the middle of the second verse would sound absolutely fantastic!")

I took a theory class in college and it just didn't work for me. So being at the point that you describe, several years ago I tried again. Same result - I guess I'm just not cut out for that. I know I've not been able to do some things that I'd like to do (jazz gigs for one) because of it, but I guess that's my limit.

When working out arrangements with my band (we do covers), we usually say "hey, how about this (and then play it)?". Bass, especially 5-string, is very easy to transpose on too.

Good for you for taking this class, I know how hard theory is. I got to the point that I really learned just how much I don't know! ;)
  • 05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
    Genuinefreelovism
    I took music theory as a frosh in high school, i got to the circle of 5ths and my grade went from a A- to a D+ by the end of the term. i can play any inst. i pick up but the stupid scales get me every time