PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

How to recover missing files

Hi everyone, can anyone help me with this problem? The other day I saved a couples of files (notepad files, MS word and what not) in different folders on Desktop. Then two days later, when I looked for them they disappeared in their folders. I checked the recycle bin and found nothing similar to my files. I tried open recent option from MS word and it said “it was moved, renamed or deleted?” It seems like the files saved on that same day are missing. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this and how to recover the files if possible? Thanks for your help in advance

Re: How to recover missing files

Need to check out some options for you
    Last edited by poliq; 11-29-2018 at 10:42 AM.

No Idea what could have caused the files to be deleted beside manual or automatic process, are they by chance invisible?

You need a recovery tool for that and hope that it’s physical address hasn’t been overwritten (basically deleting means changing a character in the filename which makes the space available to be overwritten)

I have tried Recuva and Puran however there are opensource options like kickassundelete you should if possible use a portable version that you do not save on the drive where you want to recover because writing more files to disk increases the chance of the files being destroyed

tho I dunno, last year I also experienced sudden loss of files without any trace, even through recovery software (Some large iso file) problem probably existed between chair and keyboard, I just don’t know

I hope that by this time you have recovered your missing files. If not, then I think you should try some good data recovery software. No doubt, that we all are interested in the FREE items; but in case where we have some crucial data, taking a risk of losing it without using a paid software seems to be our core negligence. I think you should try DiskInternals Uneraser for deleted data recovery (https://www.diskinternals.com/uneraser/) which can easily recover your lost or deleted data from different storage media. Some other paid data recovery software are Minitool, Testdisk, Pandora, etc. Good Luck!

I know that it's possible to recover after formatting as well.

As far as I know, there are special default tools for it. I also used to format the my mac with usb drive and used https://osxtips.net/hard-drive-or-us...-for-mac-os-x/ tool for it but there are a lot of vica versa info.

Thread Information