PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

honey bee mystery

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is hearing about the decline of honey bees?
    I have read on the internet a article from the Boston Herald, that we really don't know why they are dyeing off. There are alot of speculations, for example... chemical contamination, parasites, malnutrition, erratic weather, stress from transportation or genetic weakness due to breeding. Another possibility is a condition call "colony collapse disorder" which has shown up in Canada, Europe and 24 other states. What I didn't read in the Boston Herald was that cell phones could be to blame. The signal confuses the bees and they can't find there way back to the hive and they die. Hoping they find the reason soon, for we really need the bees to pollinate our crops.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: honey bee mystery

I have been hearing a lot about this over the past month or so. It's a mystery for sure. I did hear the cell phone idea last week, but I also heard an entomologist say why they don't think that is the cause. Basically he said that if that were the case, they would have seen an gradual decline in the honey bee population as cell phones began to spread. Instead the drop in the bee's seem to be much more rapid than what they would expect to see if this was being caused by cell phones.

There was an article about this on CNN.com this morning, but I didn't read it. Now I can't find it...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Found the CNN article. Didn't know about this, but I did find out that there is also concern about Monarch butterflies from a band who recently released a disc called Monarch and is using it to promote the cause.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for posting the link to the CNN article Steve.

There was another article on CNN today. This one talkes more about how the lack of bees will affect the foods we eat.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science....ap/index.html
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information