Homeland Insecurity

Printable View

• 03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
    mwfanelli
    Homeland Insecurity
    Here's a new aspect of spying on Americans.

Walter Soehnge, a retired Texas schoolteacher, decided to pay down his credit card debt. He sent in a bit over $6500 but was surprised when the debt was not reduced. After lots of calls, he finds out that Homeland Security had tagged him as a terrorist suspect! Why? He paid more than the minimum due on the card.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/blog/...onsibili.html3

This is more proof that Homeland Security is spying on all Americans, not just a few. Your financial records are being scanned and analyzed as I write this. We give control over our major ports to a questionable country without a fuss but do heavy duty spying on the credit card payments of American citizens. Just what is the true agenda of the Bush Administration?
  • 03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Homeland Insecurity
    That sounds totally fabricated.
    And the URL is no longer accessible from my side of the pond...
  • 03-07-2006, 07:06 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    Homeland Security had tagged him as a terrorist suspect! Why? He paid more than the minimum due on the card.

Guess I'll say my "goodbyes" now that I'll be moving to Guantanamo Bay...
  • 03-07-2006, 11:50 PM
    JSPhoto
    For many years the FBI has tracked large money transfers, since the 60's as I recall any transfer of $10,000 or more was investigated, not because of terrorists but drugs and other illegal activity. It was announced recently (last month I beleive) that amount was lowered to $5,000. Good thing my house was purchased last year, as I would have been pegged for investigation probably....Oh well, that money wound up in a German bank. Also good I bought my camera gear back in October....that was $3700 over the limit :eek:

JS
  • 03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
    JSPhoto
    OK, we got the ports back, at least til Bush tries to sell them to another foriegn country, but now another problem pops it's ugly head, and it too concerns out of country security firms protecting national security.... The headquarters of Homeland Security is protected by a British company and is failing misserably.
    The last I knew we have lots of cops and a large military force of both active duty and National Guard, so why the hell are these people not protecting places like the Homeland Security HQ? This British company is also protecting (used loosly) some of our nations nuclear power plants....now that makes me feel better....NOT! Is there no common sense in Washington anymore?
    I understand England is a friendly country, but is it really wise to have ANY foreign business protecting these places? NO, and thats common sense.

JS
  • 03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
    mwfanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    OK, we got the ports back, at least til Bush tries to sell them to another foriegn country, but now another problem pops it's ugly head, and it too concerns out of country security firms protecting national security.... The headquarters of Homeland Security is protected by a British company and is failing misserably.
    The last I knew we have lots of cops and a large military force of both active duty and National Guard, so why the hell are these people not protecting places like the Homeland Security HQ? This British company is also protecting (used loosly) some of our nations nuclear power plants....now that makes me feel better....NOT! Is there no common sense in Washington anymore?
    I understand England is a friendly country, but is it really wise to have ANY foreign business protecting these places? NO, and thats common sense.

JS

I think the real problem is one of exposure. I bet most people didn't even know that critical infrastructure was being controlled by outside countries. I bet we'll see a lot more interest in the future.

Of course, Bush's nuclear deal with India makes matters much worse. India never signed the nuclear treaty and has never allowed any scrutiny of its nuclear program. Iran did sign the agreement and has, as yet, not crossed the line as far as we know. I certainly don't want cooperation with Iran but I'm not sure about India either.
  • 03-28-2006, 08:45 PM
    paulnj
    Oh come on, this country is controlled by the millions of computer tech support personnel in INDIA ;)

I think the scariest thing is that we are nolonger the masters of our foreign policies either. If we don't like something China (or whoever) is doing, we can't say sh!t because our treasury department is totally dependant on their investing in T-notes. We are really creating a mess!

I am, by the way, PRO AMERICA / ANTI smoke and mirrors governmental abuse. I love my country, but hate it's current policies.
  • 03-28-2006, 11:24 PM
    JSPhoto
    Iran is one country I do not trust, what they say and do are two different things, and it''s been that way for 30 years. I can't really say much, as what happened, according to US govt. it never happened. Funny though, PART of the truth was in every paper in the country, the other part will die with those of us who were there.
    The US got lucky when the hostages were finally released. Anyway, nothing that comes out of Iran can be trusted, even signing the nuclear treaty. Look at how for centuries they have waged war with Iraq, and now? Now they are trying to invade through the guise of assisting the rebels who are attacking US and British troops in Iraq. As soon as the US and British leave, or get small enough forces, the Iranians will go back to fighting Iraq.

JS
  • 03-29-2006, 07:20 AM
    mwfanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Look at how for centuries they have waged war with Iraq, and now?

FWIW, Iraq became a country in 1930. Iran in about 1935. Yes, there have been wars in the area for centuries but not as two separate countries known as Iran and Iraq against each other. Sort of like Europe and the various empires that have come and gone.
  • 03-29-2006, 09:17 AM
    paulnj
    Have no fear, the majority shiite component in Iraq will eventually side with the nuclear capable Iran against the US. Our teasuries are so depleted we don't have the same ability to deal with threat as we did a short time ago(we went from a 6 trillion to a 9 trillion dollar debt in 5 years )