PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Librarian Right or wrong?

A New Jersey librarian refused to allow police to go through library patron records without a court order, citing New Jersey law as well as commion sense. She may now be dismissed by the library board for "not cooperating with the town police." Was she right or wrong? I bet you can guess my opinion!

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Re: Librarian Right or wrong?

She was right in every sense of the word! You give someone a badge and a gun and then they are supposed to take advantage of authority. A patron search is a search like any other, and there is proper protocol one must go through to get such records, and a court order is mandatory.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I am so against abuse of power, so I am with you !

When will the madness end?
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

From the article: "But borough officials say Reutty intentionally stonewalled the police investigation by putting the library first. They also charged that she did not follow procedure by contacting the borough's attorney when she received the subpoena. Instead, she called a lawyer from the state library association."

Someone's tax dollars at work... The guy wasn't around when the police were called, was he? They got the subpoena pretty fast, as they should - and the guy was caught. But would the end result have been different if she illegally gave out the information right away? It may have been in her case!

Thread Information