PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Getting Grouchy in My Old Age?

OK, maybe I'm just getting too old and my toleration for idiots is getting very thin.

Yesterday, on several smaller photo sites (oviously less useful than this site!), I came across the following:

1. My camera underexposes. The guy/gal showed examples of "bad exposure" as well as what the photos "should" look like. All the ones he/she liked were grossly overexposed with blown highlights. He ranted that Canon service doesn't have a clue about photography.

2. I'm taking photos of people outside in the sun and don't have the correct meter. Why don't these lousy manufacturers put in "real" spot meters? I have to guess with each shot.

3. I just bought a used Canon 1s and am disappointed with the photos I'm getting. By the way, I use "P" and all the default settings. I thought these expensive cameras are supposed to take quality photos.

4. I am a professional photographer and bought a very expensive polarizer that arrived with a piece that turns. Has anyone else had this problem with defective equipment from B&H?

5. Image stabilization doesn't work. These shots are all blurry [bicycle race shots taken with a shutter speed of 1/8 second].

6. I am a pro and need legal advice. Who here knows...

Just venting as I wait for my students to finish their final exams.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Re: Getting Grouchy in My Old Age?

and 9 times out of 10 when you try to be helpful, they get defensive, couldn't possibly be anything to do with user, it's the stupid camera.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

HAHAHAHA, now that's some funny stuff. My favorite is #4. I'm not sure I would want to hire a "Pro" who doesn't know how a polarizer works...

You should direct them to this site so that we can give them a proper education.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    4. I am a professional photographer and bought a very expensive polarizer that arrived with a piece that turns. Has anyone else had this problem with defective equipment from B&H?
    We've got a winner... I suppose being a professional doesn't necessarily mean you're a good photographer, it means you're a good business person who can take photographs. I've seen more than a few examples of that.

Thread Information