PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Galileo Spinning in his Grave

Turns out that the the late Pope John Paul II didn't want scientists to study the beginning of the universe:

Hawking, who didn't say when the meeting was held, quoted the pope as saying, "It's OK to study the universe and where it began. But we should not enquire into the beginning itelf because that was the moment of creation and the work of God."

Thank goodness we are still clinging to a republic rather than the theocracy so many crave.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleA...awkingpope.php
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Galileo Spinning in his Grave

I love Stephen Hawking. I think he is one of the most brilliant scientists ever. I watch his videos on PBS whenever they air. He seems very approachable as well.

Here are my favorite parts:

"He urged people with physical disabilities not to give up on their ambitions.

"You can't afford to be disabled in spirit as well as physically," he said. "People won't have time for you."

That sounds more helpful to people than being afraid of how the universe was created.

"The moderator at the lecture told the audience that at a recent dinner, she asked Hawking what his ambitions were. He said he wanted to know how the universe began, what happens inside black holes and how can humans survive the next 100 years, she said.

But she added he had one more great ambition: "I would also like to understand women."

Ha! If a mathematically cosmological genius can't figure that one out, I guess I'm screwed! :idea:
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Galileo Spinning in his Grave

This thought from JPII would have to do with the teaching of Catholisim and the beginning of the Bible, that God create Adam and Eve and everything in 7 days. Really to totally believe that is just wrong, but as a Catholic myself, I do believe in the great good, whether that is God or not I will have to wait till I die as everyone else does.

Because of the decline of Men and Woman entering into religious orders I think that his thinking was to try and disuade any further errosion of Faith as he knew it and believed in till the day he died. Remember the current Pope, Cardinals etc would all most follow the same train of thoughts and ideals as well.

Where religion is in 100 yrs time who knows, it is what we do as individuals that is them most important thing. If we elect to follow this faith or that faith or not follow one at all, doesn't in my mind make anyone else better then one another. Again it is what we do as individuals that makes all the difference.

Thread Information