Farmer's eggs

Printable View

• 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM
    adina
    Farmer's eggs
    So we went to buy eggs today. Got them from a farm, instead of the grocery store. Imagine the girls suprise when there were chickens all over the place, instead of a chicken house. Very exciting.

So now we have farmer eggs, as opposed to store eggs. Downside is that now instead of my youngest wanting a gerbil (which I said no, we are not getting a rat), she wants a chicken.
  • 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
    another view
    Re: Farmer's eggs
    I'd prefer to buy as much as possible this way too, and I have noticed a few signs on fairly nearby country roads but I never seem to remember where they're at... Pet chicken, huh? Fresh eggs every day, then down the road a nice dinner. Of course, that might not be a fun concept to explain to them...
  • 06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
    julsoph
    Lol about the pet chicken...maybe you could get a couple like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybVb3t560oY

Emily
  • 06-30-2007, 10:04 PM
    Frog
    That's funny. Those rabbits knew better than to move.
    Raised chickens...they can be vicious! Descended from velociraptors, I believe.
  • 07-01-2007, 06:55 AM
    adina
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    Raised chickens...they can be vicious! Descended from velociraptors, I believe.

I believe it! When I was little, we lived way up by Lake Superior, and had chickens. There was one in particular that used to chase us. My dad usually wound up hitting it with something...a broom, his foot, you know, whatever was handy. We used to think it was soo neat when that thing went sailing over the car.
  • 07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
    Sushigaijin
    Real chicken eggs (not like the ones from safeway) are AMAZING. I'm a member of a raw dairy co'op because I like them so much...that and the raw milk and butter. Yum.

Supposedly all that stuff is better for you too, but that's a secondary consideration in my opinion. A poached, never refrigerated chicken egg is like sweet mana from heaven. Raw milk has a barnyard flavor like good wine or washed-rind cheese (think eppoisses). Raw butter looks like it has food coloring added to it, it is so yellow and tastes like grass. Egg yolks vary in color from milky white to nearly orange...

I'm starting to get hungry!
  • 07-15-2007, 05:16 AM
    adina
    Okay, I'll pass on the barnyard flavor, but we've been pretty happy with the eggs so far.

:D