PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Endurance Running tips?

I just started jogging again after 1 month off the tread mill. I can jog off the treadmill around 4 miles in 40 minutes, I do a mixture of walking jogging and running. I would walk a very short time to get my energy back, but once it has returned I can pick up speed and make up for time lost when I was walking. My goal is distance running and im new to this whole thing. I did one time in the beginning jog 8.4 miles and what a mistake, my legs were on fire :mad2:

Do you guys have any tips to keep my endurance up? Im not planning on competing, this is just a personal thing. I found that it really helped with my diabetes and anxiety, plus its great fun!

Thanks
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Re: Endurance Running tips?

If you can, get a coach. Also, look for local running groups/clubs, ask other runners for good running web sites. Good luck. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks OldClicker for your input. A running club is a great idea. I never thought of it before...
    -

GB1

I long distance run too, LB. Here's what you need to transition:

# 1, slow down.

Make sure your shoes are right. Do you over or under pronate? Many runners do and don't know it until they get into distance running where they really pile on the miles. Certain shoes can help with that (stability, motion control..), orthotics are even better (I use both).

Drink water. A lot of short distance runners refuse to, saying it causes them to cramp; this is a different ball game, you must drink. That may be why your legs hurt so bad -- dehydration cramps the legs first).

Carb loading helps many folks. I try to eat a carb dinner the night before a long run. Spaghetti etc.

Try to only increase your mileage and/or speed gradually. They say no more than 10% a week.

Ice down sore areas afterward.

Run at least 3x per week. Experts say at least 20 minutes in a workout.

Expect it to be harder to go the same distance on the streets compared to a treadmill. I'm not sure why, but I am 10-20% faster on a treadmill.

I've personally found that endurance is actually the easiest thing to increase. Dealing with leg fatigue was a b**** to overcome. I hit the gym once or twice a week to work my legs, seems to make a big difference.

Hope this helps.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Hi Gb1

When you say slow down how fast is too fast? I usually run at around 5 mph. Being on the treadmill for awhile, that speed sort of locked in, and I know when im running at that speed.

I under-pronate a lot, I think due to high arches and me having bow legs. I picked up a pair of new asics gel nimbus 11, it maid a huge difference. I used to strike with the heel, and even with these new shoes it sent bad shocks up my leg's. So now I pay attention to how my knees are bent and it take alot of pressure off. I guess good running shoes don't compensate for bad form.

"Expect it to be harder to go the same distance on the streets compared to a treadmill. I'm not sure why, but I am 10-20% faster on a treadmill."

Same with me, I think its because on a treadmill were not worried about bumps and things that can cause us to fall.

I realized that fast running was not for me. The nice scenery blows away to fast to take it all in.

Thanks again. That did help
    -

GB1

No problem LB, glad to help.

You're right: you must have good form. Keep asking others and adjusting and you will eventually settle into one that's right for you.

That's a decent pace, but the pt is to run slower when doing distance compared to short runs. e.g., if you can run a 5K at 6 mph, then you should not be running long distance at 6.

Under pronation is bad because you don't get the natural shock absorbence from your arch, which will eventually wear on you (knee, shin, hips, back, ...). You may need some orthodics and/or special shoes (sounds like you have the shoe part on track). I would consider this very high priority

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I got some nifty insoles from champs sporting goods. The guy said they were the best but Im gonna get a different one since its for over pronators. I have to learn to read before I buy lol
    -

Thread Information