PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: End of Film?

GB1

End of Film?

Reposted from the Film forum
    --------------

I went to drop off two rolls of Kodachrome at the local food store here. I get my E6 developed at a pro lab that also does prints for me, but they dont mess with KR, so I just drop it off at the local Vons (same as Safeway on the east coast).

Well, Vons removed their film dropoff stand. The manager thought they still accepted film but couldnt find any envelopes. I went to another food market (Ralphs, a little higher end) and they said they stopped doing / accepting film several months ago.

I finally found a Ritz that would take it.

I spoke with the guys at the pro lab and one of the owners said that he has heard that Kodak may be very close to pulling the plug on film. Kodachrome may be the first to go. He thinks that they may sub it out to Fuji for awhile. I think Fuji will hold out a lot longer, as I hear that the Japanese still love film and that Latin America, or any place with computers are not common, still still with film.

God that will stink if film totally dies out .. it will turn three of my cameras into antiques.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: End of Film?

While I see this as a step backward, I really don't think the end is near. There are still a lot of film shooters out there, and there likely will be for some time. But for most stores out there, the concept of film processing just isn't cost effective any longer. It now costs more to buy the supplies and maintain the equipment than the returns allow.

However, I see the online processors, those with the ability to still attract a large customer base, as continuing on.

As to the Kodak thing, I have no opinion as yet. To me rumors are just rumors. I think this is a case of 'wait and see'.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Some really smart, sexy guy interviewed Kodak's film division rep at PMA last February and the story he gave me, uh HIM was quite different. Kodak is still pouring R&D into their film lines, revamping TMax 400 and the 400 Portras within the last year. Take a look at the article, I, uh HE wrote and see for yourself...

The status of film 2008

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

No shortage of rumors about photo gear...

While a lot of the traditional silver b&w films have gone away, a lot of newer ones from companies that many people aren't familiar with are available. Look at a place like Freestyle Photo and after some experimenting you might find a new b&w that you like even better than that old favorite.

Kodachrome has been on the way out for many years. Ten years ago, "nobody" shot it compared to E6. It's a really caustic process and last I know there is literally one or two places in the USA that still do it. E6 films got incredibly good and many different styles were available (think Astia vs. Velvia). Technology of E6 films killed off KR, it wasn't digital.

But I can understand grocery stores taking out photo labs. Every square foot has to make money for them, or it (obviously) costs them money. Purely a business decision, and it wasn't working for them. Frankly, I wouldn't buy apples at a lab though, either.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    ...While a lot of the traditional silver b&w films have gone away, a lot of newer ones from companies that many people aren't familiar with are available. Look at a place like Freestyle Photo and after some experimenting you might find a new b&w that you like even better than that old favorite...
    Good point, and a lot of the old films that "have gone away" are actually rebranded now under different names :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

If you don't think people are using much film, go to flickr groups and search for film. You'll find thousands of different film groups with thousands of people posting new film photos every day.

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=film

Paul

GB1

Thanks guys. After reading these comments here and on the Film forum, I suspect it'll be around for awhile longer.

Rick, great link.

AnotherView - Hey.. Watch it! I still like KR. To me It still seems sharper than E-6 films, and is better with skin tones. But I might be one of the last dinosaurs that feel that way
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Kodachrome has been on the way out for many years...and last I know there is literally one or two places in the USA that still do it...
    Yeah, that's the thing. You can't use Kodachrome's survival as a yardstick for judging the state of film in general. As Steve points out, Kodachrome has been a specialty film for a very long time, largely because of its processing requirements.

BWC Lab in Miami Beach stopped processing Kodachrome some years ago, and at the time they were one of maybe three labs handling it in the entire US.

So to me, that was the writing on the wall...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Why is this in the Off-Topic forum? This is perfectly on-topic.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    AnotherView - Hey.. Watch it! I still like KR. To me It still seems sharper than E-6 films, and is better with skin tones.
    I only shot a few rolls of it - back in the days that you could have it processed with the Kodak pre-paid mailers. I know what you mean about the sharpness but it's kind of hard to describe. Maybe it's like looking thru digital captures and just knowing that the sharpness is perfect on a shot; there's just no question the instant you see it. That kind of sharpness. The original Velvia had some of that too, but KR was really cool. I'm glad I got to experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Why is this in the Off-Topic forum? This is perfectly on-topic.
    It's on topic as well :thumbsup:

The End of Film not far away...??
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thumbs down Re: End of Film?

I just recently started shooting in film because my camera has sensor issues. It's a whole different avenue of photography and nearly totally different from digital. I don't see film disappearing because in some countries and some situations film is still an accepted medium. Some magazines still accept film photographs, just not big commercial ones as much anymore. National Geographic still accepts film photographs from its freelancers, so does DMphoto magazine. Film isn't going away, if anything it will always be a novelty for hardcore photogs at the least.

Thread Information