PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

DVD player software for a PC?

OK, so I'm one of those people who do not have a TV - yes, you read that right. I was so addicted to watching tv I gave mine away. But I do watch a lot of DVD's late night. I have Dell's Cineplayer on my computer it locks up so often, to the point I have to manually reboot.

Can anyone suggest a good DVD player software I can buy and install in place of Cineplayer? Here's a link I found on a review of the top 10 DVD player software. What do you think?

http://dvd-player-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Thanks!

Re: DVD player software for a PC?

I use Cyberlink's Power DVD. It's OK and I think it was free.

btw - We haven't had an outside source for the TV in over 30 years.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Kool, that's the top rated software - good knowing I'm not the only one who has abandoned the boob tube - although these days there's no more tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by kernix
    Kool, that's the top rated software - good knowing I'm not the only one who has abandoned the boob tube - although these days there's no more tubes.
    The set I use for DVDs is a 32" Sony CRT - Cathode Ray Tube. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kernix
    OK, so I'm one of those people who do not have a TV - yes, you read that right. I was so addicted to watching tv I gave mine away. But I do watch a lot of DVD's late night. I have Dell's Cineplayer on my computer it locks up so often, to the point I have to manually reboot.

Can anyone suggest a good DVD player software I can buy and install in place of Cineplayer? Here's a link I found on a review of the top 10 DVD player software. What do you think?

http://dvd-player-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Thanks!
    We use Cyberlink's Power DVD at the school on all of the computers.Works well. FWIW, we use VLC as the Windows Media Player substitute.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

With Vista or Win7 I just use Windows Media Center, which is better than anything I've ever used before, including Power DVD, Win DVD, etc, etc, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    With Vista or Win7 I just use Windows Media Center, which is better than anything I've ever used before, including Power DVD, Win DVD, etc, etc, etc..
    Except that it fails to play so many formats, including some commercial DVDs. That is why the school invested in Power DVD and VLC: there was too much frustration and too many complaints about WMP failures. Now we have no silly problems.

The Vista version is a wreck, I gave up on it on my own Vista machine as well, even after installing the huge Vista codec pack. I have not used the Windows 7 version of WMP.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Yes, I agree. Windows Media Player is awful. I never did have much luck getting Media Player to play DVD's reliably. However, I was talking about Windows Media Center, which has played DVD's flawlessly for me since day 1. When it comes to other video files, Media Player or VLC player is more reliable. For DVD's, and even Netflix instant play, Media Center is unbeatable for me (especially since it came free with the OS).

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Yes, I agree. Windows Media Player is awful. I never did have much luck getting Media Player to play DVD's reliably. However, I was talking about Windows Media Center, which has played DVD's flawlessly for me since day 1. When it comes to other video files, Media Player or VLC player is more reliable. For DVD's, and even Netflix instant play, Media Center is unbeatable for me (especially since it came free with the OS).
    I know this sounds exceedingly stupid, but I have never heard of or opened Windows Media Center! I'm not sure it's even on my machine! Does it come with the OS or is it a separate download? My Vista laptop has been lent out so I can't look for it until Tuesday.

Hey, I just looked on this XP machine here at the college I'm using right now. Not there. Of course, knowing this IT department, they may have killed it.

Media Center is only on the following OS's, and isn't available as an add-on/upgrade to OS's that don't come with it:
    • XP Media Center Edition
    • Vista Home Premium
    • Vista Ultimate
    • Win 7 Home Premium
    • Win 7 Professional
    • Win 7 Ultimate

Thread Information