PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Wifi - help/advice on wireless router

I could not get into the computer/printer forum for some reason - so am posting here for help.

I have Optimum Online and need to purchase a wireless router for a new Kindle Fire. Optimum told me any router will work fine. However, after reading many user reviews on Amazon, there are a lot of cons for most of them.

I also used the google search, but after all the reading I am more confused, especially on which router/brand to purchase. I need more specific information on which router/brand would be best considering my needs.

I am a bit "technically challenged" so need something easy to install with clear directions for easy set-up.

I am hoping to get help sorting out the different routers/brands, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info, advice, input, etc.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Wifi - help/advice on wireless router

Everything has pros and cons.
    I've used Belkin, D-Link, Netgear, HP, and some cheap Chinsese stuff with almost no instructions.

Best so far was the Netgear.
    Good signal strength through the house, and it supported all our hardware.
    That's two wired PCs, three laptops, three wired NAS, wired laser printer, iPhone and iPad.
    And it worked straight out of the box.

D-Link is a close second
    Their managmenet of the firewall, and the DMZ to run a web server, and DDNS to put it on the web was great. But those are all features you probably don't care about
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Everything has pros and cons.
    I've used Belkin, D-Link, Netgear, HP, and some cheap Chinsese stuff with almost no instructions.

Best so far was the Netgear.
    Good signal strength through the house, and it supported all our hardware.
    That's two wired PCs, three laptops, three wired NAS, wired laser printer, iPhone and iPad.
    And it worked straight out of the box.

D-Link is a close second
    Their managmenet of the firewall, and the DMZ to run a web server, and DDNS to put it on the web was great. But those are all features you probably don't care about
    Thanks Paul.....

Regarding the Netgear....is it easy to install? I'm so "technically challenged" that if there is a way to mess it up, unless it's easy, I'll mess it up! Any specific model? Or is Netgear generally a good choice? I've read so many reviews that I'm more confused than I was to begin with.

Liz

Actually, I've used quite a few different routers from numerous brands, and they have all been reliable for me. I can't imagine what 'cons' there are, its a pretty simple technology.

All of them have a "wizard" which guides you through the installation process.

Netgear and D-Link have always been my proffered choice as well, but its not worth paying double for one, if there is one on a good sale, go for that.
    I'm so "technically challenged" that if there is a way to mess it up, unless it's easy, I'll mess it up!
    Don't cut yourself short, tech is a LOT easier to use today than it once was.

Basically, all you need to do after getting the router is A) plug it in, B) set up an SSID name, and C) set up a password.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I've used two, and both worked straight out of the box.
    Plug the cable from the internet box to the in socket, then plug your PC into one of the 4 outputs.
    Set up your passphrase (not just a word, a good long phrase) and then off to setup your kindle to talk to it.

My new internet provider gave out a free wireless router, with their free broadband and free phone calls (but I pay for the TV service ) so I'm not using the Netgear, no need for two wireless routers !

Do you have other high speed wireless devices, like a Network Attached Storage (NAS) or a video streaming box, or a games console?

Their WNDR3400 is a good compromise.
    Doesn't have gigabit ethernet, but unless you have NAS or other high speed hardware you won't need it.
    Dual band is good for more modern laptops, or going wireless on your PC.
    Because it's dual band it has better range. But I don't know if the Kindle has dual band.

The WNR2000 will do if speed is not a major concern, and you don't need the longer range.
    PAul

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Actually, I've used quite a few different routers from numerous brands, and they have all been reliable for me. I can't imagine what 'cons' there are, its a pretty simple technology.

All of them have a "wizard" which guides you through the installation process.

Netgear and D-Link have always been my proffered choice as well, but its not worth paying double for one, if there is one on a good sale, go for that.

Don't cut yourself short, tech is a LOT easier to use today than it once was.

Basically, all you need to do after getting the router is A) plug it in, B) set up an SSID name, and C) set up a password.
    Thanks for the help! I'm encouraged by your post. I was checking the 2-3 star user reviews on Amazon since I check the negative posts first to see what I might run in to. I was surprised at the amount of negative feedback for the most popular routers. However, you are right in the fact that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Liz

Liz

I've used two, and both worked straight out of the box.
    Plug the cable from the internet box to the in socket, then plug your PC into one of the 4 outputs.
    Set up your passphrase (not just a word, a good long phrase) and then off to setup your kindle to talk to it.

My new internet provider gave out a free wireless router, with their free broadband and free phone calls (but I pay for the TV service ) so I'm not using the Netgear, no need for two wireless routers !

Do you have other high speed wireless devices, like a Network Attached Storage (NAS) or a video streaming box, or a games console?

Their WNDR3400 is a good compromise.
    Doesn't have gigabit ethernet, but unless you have NAS or other high speed hardware you won't need it.
    Dual band is good for more modern laptops, or going wireless on your PC.
    Because it's dual band it has better range. But I don't know if the Kindle has dual band.

The WNR2000 will do if speed is not a major concern, and you don't need the longer range.
    I don't have any wireless devices - the Kindle Fire is my first one. I have Optimum Online for my internet and no internet on my cell phone (can't afford it all!). My internet provider just offered "free Wi-fi" to their customers so once I get the router it will be connected here.

When I first go the Kindle, I read that you should set up a Wi-fi "base" at home first - before using it elsewhere. However, I was recently told that I don't need a "home base" unless I am going to use it at home only. So I took the Kindle to Starbucks yesterday and it worked there, so at least I know the Kindle is working (the return period is up tomorrow). Today or tomorrow I will pick up a router.

Thanks Paul.

Liz

My internet provider just offered "free Wi-fi" to their customers
    Does that mean they will be sendng you a free WiFi router?
    If so then why by one?
    PAul

Liz

Does that mean they will be sendng you a free WiFi router?
    If so then why by one?
    No free router. Optimum Online is my provider for the Internet, TV (cable), and telephone (landline). When I paid for these separately it cost me about $250/mo. Getting the Optimum deal for "Tripleplay" it costs me less than $100 a month - and it all goes through cable now.

Optimum did not come with Wi-fi since they are basically cable. Recently they announced that they would make Wi-fi available to their customers (outside only - not inside). The modem they provide for Triple Play (which I have) has the ability to set up Wi-fi - but you need to purchase a router to set it up. You get the service free - not the router.

This weekend I did have another problem - with the Kindle Fire. I was able to use the Wi-fi at Starbucks. I discovered I did not have to set up a Wi-fi "base" at home prior to using the Kindle online - although the directions said to do this. So I went to Starbucks and connected to their Wi-fi, and it worked fine. However, the next day my touch screen on the Kindle was frozen and I could not use it at all. I called Amazon and am returning it tomorrow.

The Kindle Fire has great reviews, but there are a few bugs in it since it is new. Amazon does stand behind their products, and they have superb customer service. They have already done a couple of upgrades to the Kindle since Christmas. They sold 6 million Kindles around the holidays, so the bugs are making their appearance.

I need a couple of days to decide if I will stick with the Kindle - or look into another tablet. I am tempted to get the IPad, but the cost is a bit above my pay scale. At any rate, I am going to purchase a router so everything will be ready for whatever I get. I will most likely stick with Kindle.

Liz

I think I may ask Angie to buy me a kindle fire on her next trip to the states.

Or maybe wait for the polaroid android camera.
    I'm not sure which toy I want for my anniversary present
    She has an underwater camera and three Harry Potter lego sets, the huge ones.
    And I'm letting her off to visit her sister, and go to potterworld in Orlando with my credit card?
    Ah well, it needed exercise
    PAul

Liz

I think I may ask Angie to buy me a kindle fire on her next trip to the states.

Or maybe wait for the polaroid android camera.
    I'm not sure which toy I want for my anniversary present
    She has an underwater camera and three Harry Potter lego sets, the huge ones.
    And I'm letting her off to visit her sister, and go to potterworld in Orlando with my credit card?
    Ah well, it needed exercise
    Paul,

After much more research, I decided not to get the Kindle fire because it does not work well with downloading and/or viewing photos. I checked out some of the discussion forums on Amazon and a few people shared that the "best" way to get an image onto the Kindle Fire is to send yourself an email with a photo on it. I tried to get more info, but there didn't seem to be much interest in using the Fire for photography and did not find more discussion about it.

I am presently looking at the Samsung Galaxy 7 Plus which has Adobe Flash, an SD card slot - and a few other features for photos. It is more money - on sale now for $349 in most places.

You can read about it here if you are interested in reading more about it.

Samsung 16GB Galaxy Tab 7 Plus Tablet with WiFi GT-P6210MAYXAR

Liz

I got the SD card and USB accessories for my iPad.
    Works well, but the image handling of the iPad is sub-optimal, in a totally useless disorganised kind of way, and it adds each image to your cloud photstream and they can't be deleted.
    Import functionality 10/10 like most Apple stuff it just works.
    Image handling, 1/10 and that's being generous.
    PAul

Liz

I got the SD card and USB accessories for my iPad.
    Works well, but the image handling of the iPad is sub-optimal, in a totally useless disorganised kind of way, and it adds each image to your cloud photstream and they can't be deleted.
    Import functionality 10/10 like most Apple stuff it just works.
    Image handling, 1/10 and that's being generous.
    Interesting about the image handling on the iPad. I just about drove myself crazy trying to figure out which Tablet to purchase after returning the Kindle Fire - it hadn't occurred to me that the Fire was not photography-friendly. OTOH - I am way behind the latest tech stuff. The Galaxy 7 Plus has Adobe Flash and can work with Picasa. I don't expect to edit the photos on the Tablet, but if I can use the Tablet when I am away to view my photos from the SD card - and upload them via Picasa, I will be most happy!

The Galaxy was on sale for $350 ($50 off) and that was about all I can spend at the moment. I got it at Costco and it should be here tomorrow. I hope it works for me.

BTW, I have a good friend who never invested in a computer, and she recently purchased the IPad 2. Wow! That was a shock to me. She loves it! So, I figure if she can learn the IPad with no pc experience, I can do this!

Thanks for all of your input.

Liz

Learning the iPad 2 is simple. becuase Apple have made it simple.
    But like many simple devices, if you want to do something complicated you hit a brick wall.

I think there is a law of conservation of complexity, if it's hard for you to use it was easier to program and it probably exposes the programmer's way of thinking instead of the user's.
    If it's easy for you to use then someone did all the hard work beforehand, and the program is constantly working to hide everythinh from you.

I looked at the kindle and felt that the 16:9 HD aspect ratio was just wrong for viewing photos that are more usually 1:1, 3:2, or 5:4 aspect ratio.
    PAul

Thread Information