PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Do You Use Windows 7?

If so, Do you use it as your primary Operating System for testing purposes OR, Just as a Vista Replacement?

Just wondering...

I personally have no complaints with vista but would like to try 7. Even though I wouldn't be doing much testing with it.

Is it ok to use Windows 7 RC on a main computer?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Do You Use Windows 7?

I will not use RC7 on any computer I want to work.
    Many years as a Microsoft beta tester has taught me to use a sacrificial computer.
    Today that can be a virtual machine.
    Just don't use a computer, or put on it any data, that you want to use again.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megasoftcorp
    If so, Do you use it as your primary Operating System for testing purposes OR, Just as a Vista Replacement?

Just wondering...

I personally have no complaints with vista but would like to try 7. Even though I wouldn't be doing much testing with it.

Is it ok to use Windows 7 RC on a main computer?
    We have been testing/using Windows 7 starting with the first beta releases here at the college. The beta was remarkably stable and the RC is running very well. But if you do not understand how these pre-releases work, stay away. Too many people grab one of them and then get upset when a bug appears.

FWIW, the college is not sold on Windows 7. So far, although nicer looking and a tiny bit faster, we see no reason to update the standard XP Pro running on most of our college computers. That is extremely expensive to do, very time intensive, and is not a simple upgrade from XP.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Been using Win 7 for a long time now at work, but only on a secondary test machine. I have pre-ordered it for my home PC to upgrade from Vista 64bit. Win7 is much faster than Vista in my experience.

One of the main things I use my system for is gaming (just never really got into console gaming that much, though I do own a 360). I think Win7 is going to be on par/better than XP for gaming. I've been using Vista 64bit for a while now and I don't have a problem with it in general though I do see it lag a bit in gaming.

My tests of the same games in Win7 is better performance. Just as a reference, one of the main games I play is World of Warcraft. In a graphics intense area I get a few frame more on Win7 with the exact same setup. Where the real difference comes in is that the game can be run in something called Windowed full screen mode. This is where the game is in a window instead of the usual "full screen" view, but the borders are turned off and it's maximized. So it looks full screen but you can move out of it and view other programs easier. When moving from XP to Vista this mode resulted in about 10 frames per second drop in performance in that graphics heavy area. Win7 there is no drop in performance just like XP.

I'm still glad I moved to Vista from XP just because Vista has been even more stable than XP was in my experience. Win7 has had some nice tweaks to the interface as well. Kind of like the best parts of Vista's interface, improved, with some new features.

Thread Information