PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Hope in a Jar

Hope in a Jar

Anyone else use this? (it's face mosturizer) I'm hoping for $35 bucks a jar it doesn't give me a huge rash.

Also, for anyone who has never been to a Sephora store, OH MY GOD! It's like heaven in a mall! One of my new favorite favorite stores ever!

And, in Milwaukee, Mayfair is like the mall to go to (meaning it's still open, and it has stores in it). 10 yrs ago, I got my first credit card there, at Marshell Fields. When I was there yesterday, I discovered Marshell Fields had closed, and they opened a Macy's in it's place. It was a very bittersweet moment. Had to call dh and have him come meet me for lunch. (okay, we were meeting for lunch anyway, but first thing out of my mouth was "Marshell Fields closed! That's where I got my first credit card")

I'm still on the fence about Macy's. Shoe dept looks good, and that's a big one. Will explore further in the upcoming months.

Over and out.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Hope in a Jar

I heard a report on the news last week about Macy's (or the parent Co. of Macy's) buying out Marshell Feilds. They were talking about how the clientel of MF were very upset by the change, and were protesting by cutting up there Macy's credit cards. They also said that sales were down, and some of the higher end companies had already started pulling there products out of the new stores. Prada is one that they mentioned. Apperently they feel that Macy's is too low rent for their products. At least that's how it came across on the report I listened to. I've never shopped at either so it was all news to me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

"Anyone else use this? (it's face mosturizer) I'm hoping for $35 bucks a jar it doesn't give me a huge rash."

Like, I totally use that too!!

"Also, for anyone who has never been to a Sephora store, OH MY GOD! It's like heaven in a mall! One of my new favorite favorite stores ever!"

Like, oh my god, I know exactly what you mean! If only they had like a Starbucks, and a place to sleep, I could like totally live there!

LIKE OH MY GOD!!

(sorry for the tease, I couldn't help it )
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I'm beyond "hope".

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

You bet it works, and it works absolute mind-blowing wonders. Here are my before and after shots from last year:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Oops...

[edit everything out] Oh, oh. Wrong button pressed. Sorry!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    You bet it works, and it works absolute mind-blowing wonders. Here are my before and after shots from last year:
    ALRIGHT!! Definitley worth my hard earned $$!

Are you saying it takes a year to go from green to 007?

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    "Anyone else use this? (it's face mosturizer) I'm hoping for $35 bucks a jar it doesn't give me a huge rash."

Like, I totally use that too!!

"Also, for anyone who has never been to a Sephora store, OH MY GOD! It's like heaven in a mall! One of my new favorite favorite stores ever!"

Like, oh my god, I know exactly what you mean! If only they had like a Starbucks, and a place to sleep, I could like totally live there!

LIKE OH MY GOD!!

(sorry for the tease, I couldn't help it )
    Rick, you're like, totally in luck. Two coffee shops within 30 feet, and a Temperpedic store. Pack your bags, you could, like, totally move in!

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I heard a report on the news last week about Macy's (or the parent Co. of Macy's) buying out Marshell Feilds. They were talking about how the clientel of MF were very upset by the change, and were protesting by cutting up there Macy's credit cards. They also said that sales were down, and some of the higher end companies had already started pulling there products out of the new stores. Prada is one that they mentioned. Apperently they feel that Macy's is too low rent for their products. At least that's how it came across on the report I listened to. I've never shopped at either so it was all news to me.
    Marshell Fields was the bestest store ever. I've not had much experience with Macy's, aside from the parade, and the movie Miracle on 34th Street.

I guess I will have to reserve judgement for now. But it will never hold that first credit card allure for me. I guess at some point we all need to let go of our first loves.....

ps...I love that there is a forum for my totally pointless, un-photo related, ramblings

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Rick, you're like, totally in luck. Two coffee shops within 30 feet, and a Temperpedic store. Pack your bags, you could, like, totally move in!
    Fabulous!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Here is the news story I heard on NPR the other day.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ahhhhhhhhh, a topic I know a little about. Philosophy makes good products, but many of the ingredients in Hope In A Jar are filler and not so great for your skin. (Water, Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, Behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Cyclomethicone, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Betaglucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea.)

You may get a bit or redness from the alpha hydroxies, but if it is't too bad (what is too bad?lol) you should be fine.

I make and create hand crafted lotions, scrubs, soaps, salves, body butters etc..... So I study this stuff constantly and always formulating new products. There are so many fillers and chemicals in today's products. Crazy advertising and claims that could never be true. On one of my soaping boards we just discussed Hope In A Jar. We all found it a bit scary after seeing the ingredients, but that said..... Many people love it so who knows.....

As for Sephora I LOVE THAT STORE! Online shopping is ok, but to be in the actual store and test and read labels. My poor husband. He has to leave me there for usually 2 hours. lol

We only have Macy's here. I love it. They have everything I could possibly want or need. Macy's and Nordstrom. The one thing our Macy's (& Sephora) do not have is MAC make-up. I'm a MAC girl. So I still shop at Nordstrom's for my makeup.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Hurray!

Yeah, I was probably there for about two hours as well, but only spent $87, so not to bad.

I'll admit, I was drawn in by the name and pretty container, I'm hoping I don't get a huge rash (which has happened before). I've got fairly sensitive skin, so I'm always hesitant to try new ones. Unfortunately, all I had left at home was summer mosturizer, so it was a skin care emergency.

I will be examining Macy's further in the next month. All for the sake of science, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Hurray!

Yeah, I was probably there for about two hours as well, but only spent $87, so not to bad.

I'll admit, I was drawn in by the name and pretty container, I'm hoping I don't get a huge rash (which has happened before). I've got fairly sensitive skin, so I'm always hesitant to try new ones. Unfortunately, all I had left at home was summer mosturizer, so it was a skin care emergency.

I will be examining Macy's further in the next month. All for the sake of science, of course!
    You did really well @ $87! I was at Sephora this summer and walked out with a half dozen tubes of lip fusion. Now that stuff was a joke. My husband must still tell me daily, hey honey.... Your lips look bigger. lol

I'll be curious to hear how you do with Hope In A Jar. This would be for science too.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

The Macy's vs Marshall Feidl's change was the topic of discussion on Wisconsin Public Radio this morning. They archive their shows if anyone wants to listen to the discussion. The show isn't posted on the WPR site as of the time of this post since the show has only been over for 10 minutes. It should be up later this afternoon if anyone is interested. It was Joy Cardin's 6:00am show.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I saw the title and immidiatly thought 2 Cor 4:7 - For we have this treasure in Jars of Clay to know that this power is from God and not from us.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information