PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: anyone run?

anyone run?

as soon as we dry out, i'm going to start running with my dog. should be interesting...half the time she goes full out, the other half she's stopping to smell everything.

I did just see that reebok makes some shoes that simulate walking on sand (or something like that) supposed to work your butt muscles more. was going to get them, but really, how many pairs of shoes do you need?

(i'll let you know how they work....)
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: anyone run?

"anyone run?"

I did until I discovered the bicycle. The wheel was a great invention. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    "anyone run?"

I did until I discovered the bicycle. The wheel was a great invention. - TF
    thought about that....but i would mow my dog right over. although my dad used to be able to bike with thier dog all over town, until she got too old...

Only if someone or something is chasing me. Kidding aside, I think I am going to start running to see if I can lose some of this belly fat.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

With all the extra camera gear now and wanting to get out into the woods further and further to shoot, I decided it was time to get off my arse and get back into shape. About 3 weeks ago started running again for the first time in about 10 years. Also I had wanted to quit smoking and thought by torchering the ol' smokers lungs with running, it would help with stopping. 3 weeks ago while still smoking could only manage about a 9.5 minute mile. As of last night (day number 8 without a cig) I'm down to 7'55"
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I run several days a week before work. The company I work for has an indoor track. I have been slacking the last couple of weeks though. If I can do a couple miles in the morning, I'm happy. I only did a mile this morning, then rode the bike for 6. If I don't run, I either bike or swim. I need to start pushing myself more than what I have been doing. I have a 5K coming up in a couple months that I have to get ready for.

My wife has tried running with one of our dogs once. Only once!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

You're lucky Mike, wish I had a pool around here I could swim laps at
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I did just see that reebok makes some shoes that simulate walking on sand
    Are they like the MBT shoes?
    I love them but they are unsafe for driving - can't feel the pedals
    Angie has two pairs now.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I trail run in the mountains, I make it as far up as I can before gasping and weezing

Running is hard on your body. Make sure your shoes are GOOD and take it easy on your joints. Running on asphalt is supposed to better than running on concrete. Plenty of people have back and knee problems from running, even with good shoes.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Are they like the MBT shoes?
    I love them but they are unsafe for driving - can't feel the pedals
    Angie has two pairs now.
    Not sure...I saw them in a magazine and can't find them on Reeboks website. I'm going to dig out the mag when I get home...

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I trail run in the mountains, I make it as far up as I can before gasping and weezing

Running is hard on your body. Make sure your shoes are GOOD and take it easy on your joints. Running on asphalt is supposed to better than running on concrete. Plenty of people have back and knee problems from running, even with good shoes.

I've got the whole shoe thing covered. You know that would be my biggest concern. I'm going to start on the road off of where we live, so asphalt and dirt.

Going to start small...mostly am hoping to build up some endurance...

will let you know how it goes.

I own three pair of MBT shoes. (I have no problem driving in them, BTW). They helped me recover from plantar fasciitis. I will tell you that just walking in them gave my calves and butt a HUGE workout! Running was more difficult (balance), but climbing stairs was like doing a hard step workout. I did lose a few pounds the first month wearing them. Plus, they're heavy.

After a few months of wearing them, I walked a 5K in them and did just fine. I would worry about running in them though, just because you don't have as much stability with the ground in them, and hitting stones, twigs, cracks, etc. might throw you off balance. I'm sure the Nike running shoes would be more stable.

Make SURE that you get good arch supports in your shoes, even if you have to pay extra to slip them in!! I've got arch supports in all my shoes now and they make a huge difference.

BTW, I'm doing triathlon training right now.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

drg

Try a retractable leash to start if you are serious about the running. They can always be locked to a fixed length. Beagles (you do have a beagle, I rarely forget a dog ) are so smell oriented they want to sniff a lot. If you can run in the road (please do not get hit) there's less stuff to smell to distract the dog.

The retractable leash is often easier to hold (they have a handle after all) and the dog, to start with, can roam a bit more.

The alternative is to combine obedience training to get the dog to run on a loose leash at a comfortable speed and at heel.

I'm kind of a masochist and other than in really hot dry weather, I wear lace up boots and we run over large grassy areas.

A tired dog, is a good dog!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

GB1

Yep, marathon runner (just did El Paso marathon, doing Pasadena on March 22).

It's a bit goofy sounding - a shoe that simulates running on sand - but who knows. Sand running is a major effort. I always attempt to run on soft surface as it is better on your joints and muscles, and also works your lateral muscles and gives you a better workout. But note that running on soft sand is not so much running as digging.

If you want to work your gluts, try mule-kick exercises.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

of the shoes or the dog? or the dog tripping me as she cuts across in front of me.

we start today. wish me luck.

okay, i saw those mbt shoes this weekend while we were out, and no, the ones i found from reebok are nothing like those. the reebok ones look very much like the nike's i'm currently wearing.

general consensus...if we are walking, we need the retracto, because she is all over. but as soon as i start running, she's right there with me. and i like the regular leash better, because i can slide my and right thru, and not drop it.

eta...we're going just over a mile...tracked it today. figure that's a good start, don't want one of us to keel over and die the first week out.

Adina,,

Just signed up to run my 1st 5K in a while. I talked about 5 others from work into running with me. I don't want to run, but have to to keep healthy and having a goal helps keep you on track.

April 25th is the day..

Good luck with the running.

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

GB1

Ran the Pasadena marathon this morning in time of 4:02:52. Jez I'm having a hard time breaking 4 hrs.. this is ridiculous!
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

GB1...

Congrats on the finish. I have never run a marathon. Did one half marathon and it was tough enough.. Mostly mental, but very challenging...

4:02 is a great time... You will break 4 hrs soon....Good luck

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

yikes! 5K? I'm building up....we've been going a little further some days. unfortunately, we are once again under water, so the dog and i will be laying around reading a book instead of running.

actually, we are quite enjoying it. suprising.

Started working about 4 weeks ago. Gained about 9 to 10 lbs since I increased my food intake since beginning of February. Will start running once the weather improves, until then... my moms treadmill every few days will have to do. Hope to gain another 30 to 50 pounds by Summer 2010. Wish me luck!!
    A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. ~Ansel Adams

Thread Information