PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Call 911 on cell - charge 90 cents

I just noticed Verizon charges 90 cents for 911 calls. I always thought these were free. All these "little" charges add up to quite a few "cents" every month.

Do other mobile phone companies charge for 911?

Liz

Re: Call 911 on cell - charge 90 cents

I know there is a fee for just having the ability to call 911. I think its 90 cents for cingular, but not sure. I don't mind paying for that fee if I have to, because my cell is my only phone, and there have been times that I have called 911. I would rather have 911 without the fee, but there are plenty of other fees I coulf do without.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    I know there is a fee for just having the ability to call 911. I think its 90 cents for cingular, but not sure. I don't mind paying for that fee if I have to, because my cell is my only phone, and there have been times that I have called 911. I would rather have 911 without the fee, but there are plenty of other fees I coulf do without.

Z
    I agree......I'm willing to pay it. I'm not really "complaining" about the cost, but my point is that I would think Verizon - and others - would be happy to "contribute" this amount. It might even be good for their image. Actually Verizon landline doesn't charge for 911 calls as far as I know.

I've called 911 quite a few times the past couple of years. Living in Paterson, I've seen many accidents and always call unless I see the police or ambulance.

Liz

If I remember there is some sort of recovery fee or something along with a few other fees, and I added them up an it was around 6 bucks. Thats 72 dollars a year that I am paying and have no idea ehat the fee is for.

Z
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Fee free here in Australia for emergency calls like that from all phones.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

I think the fee is to cover the cost of the E-911 services that are supposed to be able to use GPS technology to locate your phone. Didn't work this weekend when I had trouble describing where I was.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I thought I heard on the news or read in a magazine, but I thought the GPS only worked on landline phones. I seems logical that it would work on cell phones, but I don't think it has been implemented in all areas and some 911 centers aren't ready for the new technology.

Z
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

How can a landline phoen have a gobal positioning satellite receiver ?
    They dont' work well indoors !

Maybe they use GIS mapping to locate you from the phone number/address records.
    But not GPS.

Only if your mobile phone has a GPS built-in, then that's avaiable for them to get.

Otherwise you can be located based on the signal strength at the cellphone towers around you, which is less accurate.
    Vodafone in the UK operate a service like that, particularly for web site operators to give local information to WAP users.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Well, a few days ago i ended up having to call 911 about 3 times from my cell phone because of the storms in my area (downed power lines and such). As far as i can see, my calls were free...:-\, though, i did have to give street names and interesections and such.

My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

Here in CA calling 911 from a cellphone is usually pointless. You can get better responses to an emergency if you just 411 the local police or fire department.

Thread Information