PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: The Bible Code

The Bible Code

About two years ago, I had a conversation about the book. My brother said that the book stated that WWIII would begin possibly as a nuclear attack on Isreal. Today, a news network discussed Iran and possible nuclear weapons. There was a statement to the effect of Iran using nuclear weapons against Isreal. In fact, if I recall correctly, it was a quoted threat.

So, today I looked up the Bible Code thing, and found this:
    ARMAGEDDON

The word "Armageddon" comes from the last book of the New Testament. It is a real place and is the Greek name for an ancient city in Israel - Megiddo. In Hebrew, "Mount Megiddo" is "Harmegiddo" . One would wonder why such a remote site would have any significance or ever be the site of a major battle. However, near Megiddo, hidden from tourists, is one of Israel's most important Air Force bases, Ramat David. It is in the north, facing Israel's implacable foe, Syria.

The plain words of both the Old and New Testaments predicts that the "Final Battle" will begin in Israel with an attack on the Holy City, Jerusalem, and finally engulf the entire world.

Jerusalem, the most fought-over city in history - from the time King David conquered it, and the Babylonians burned it, and the Romans destroyed it, and the Crusaders besieged it, down through 3000 years of bloody conflict that did not end when the Israelis took it back in the 1967 war - is clearly encoded in the Bible as the target of the predicted nuclear attack.

The last book of the New Testament predicts a final war of unprecedented fury: "Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations in the four quarters of the Earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle." No one knows where the ancient "Gog and Magog" were located, but the original prophecy of the Final Battle, told in Ezekiel, is that Israel will be invaded from the North: "You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you, a great horde, a mighty army." The only modern enemy north of Israel is Syria, which is encoded in Ezekiel, starting in the verse that predicts the invasion. Syria's allies are named "Persia" and "Phut", countries that are now called Iran and Libya.

The plain text of Ezekiel predicts a terrible battle between Israel and the surrounding Arab nations, "a great slaughter on the mountains of Israel. According to the Bible code, that is how World War III might begin - with an atomic attack on Jerusalem, followed by an invasion of Israel.

The year - 2006.

Thoughts???

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: The Bible Code

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    About two years ago, I had a conversation about the book. My brother said that the book stated that WWIII would begin possibly as a nuclear attack on Isreal. Today, a news network discussed Iran and possible nuclear weapons. There was a statement to the effect of Iran using nuclear weapons against Isreal. In fact, if I recall correctly, it was a quoted threat.

So, today I looked up the Bible Code thing, and found this:
    ARMAGEDDON

The word "Armageddon" comes from the last book of the New Testament. It is a real place and is the Greek name for an ancient city in Israel - Megiddo. In Hebrew, "Mount Megiddo" is "Harmegiddo" . One would wonder why such a remote site would have any significance or ever be the site of a major battle. However, near Megiddo, hidden from tourists, is one of Israel's most important Air Force bases, Ramat David. It is in the north, facing Israel's implacable foe, Syria.

The plain words of both the Old and New Testaments predicts that the "Final Battle" will begin in Israel with an attack on the Holy City, Jerusalem, and finally engulf the entire world.

Jerusalem, the most fought-over city in history - from the time King David conquered it, and the Babylonians burned it, and the Romans destroyed it, and the Crusaders besieged it, down through 3000 years of bloody conflict that did not end when the Israelis took it back in the 1967 war - is clearly encoded in the Bible as the target of the predicted nuclear attack.

The last book of the New Testament predicts a final war of unprecedented fury: "Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations in the four quarters of the Earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle." No one knows where the ancient "Gog and Magog" were located, but the original prophecy of the Final Battle, told in Ezekiel, is that Israel will be invaded from the North: "You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you, a great horde, a mighty army." The only modern enemy north of Israel is Syria, which is encoded in Ezekiel, starting in the verse that predicts the invasion. Syria's allies are named "Persia" and "Phut", countries that are now called Iran and Libya.

The plain text of Ezekiel predicts a terrible battle between Israel and the surrounding Arab nations, "a great slaughter on the mountains of Israel. According to the Bible code, that is how World War III might begin - with an atomic attack on Jerusalem, followed by an invasion of Israel.

The year - 2006.

Thoughts???

I hate to burst your bubble... well, maybe I do like it just a little bit... :-}

The "Bible Code" is nothing more than a mathematical phenonena. You can find the same sorts of codes in any book of a decent length. In fact, that has been done. People don't realize how the statistics of letters and words actually work.

On a second note, what version of the bible are you using? The original languages, i.e., not the English alphabet? King James? One of those new modern versions? Each will provide different "secrets."

Mankind has been looking for predictions of the future ever since seeing that first Woolly Mammoth heading for him! These predictions are pure nonsense, no different than the scores of others propagated on late night radio, from Edgar Cayce to astrology to the Mayans. Either you get the painfully obvious ("an earthquake will hit Japan in 2006") or the silly and quickly forgotten ("Paris will be destroyed by a meteor in 2004", Cayce).

By 2007, these predictions will be forgotten and replaced by new ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Ahhh, but there is no bubble to burst. I am not a Christian, and do not believe in such things as "The Bible Code". The reason for posting this topic is to get other's views on these things (as you have given), and hopefully have an intelligent conversation about not only the situation in that area, but one's views about how mankind has always looked for an explanation.

Studies have been done to show that the people who "decode" the Bible will try different numerical equations to come up with these scenarios. Thank you for your response, I agree with you completely, and always have had that stance. What do others think?

I freaking LOVE data mining. The things you can find if you simply look long and hard enough for them. Like WMDs. ;)
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

One question...

In The Bible Code, was Armageddon by any chance triggered by a group of Danish cartoons??? ;)
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The Da Vinci Code

I haven't read the Bible Code, but it sounds similar to the Di Vinci Code. There's enough true elements in it to give the story the possibility of non-fiction, but it is fiction.

I was reading a religious newsletter at my inlaws, and this book was the subject of practically the whole thing. They state the the problem doesn't lie with people who have strong Christian beliefs, but for those who don't have strong convictions either way. Enough true facts have been put into the book, to suggest the author is recounting a true story. You can go thru the book and compare references to paintings to the actual paintings. Logic then follows that okay, these points are true, why not the rest?

The Last Supper is one that is mentioned. In the book, they say that the person sitting next to Jesus is Mary Magdaline, his wife. Then it goes on to say why they believe this. From facial features to dress to body position. So I looked. Sure enough, it does look like it could be a woman. His wife? I'm not going to go there, but it does, to me, look like a woman.

Re: The Da Vinci Code

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Enough true facts have been put into the book, to suggest the author is recounting a true story. You can go thru the book and compare references to paintings to the actual paintings. Logic then follows that okay, these points are true, why not the rest?
    This is the type of logic used by all the fringes. I can write a book that includes almost 100% true things but is still pure fiction. Being "close" to true is not the same thing as being true.

On a similiar track, and I really don't want to start a fight here with anyone, I read a very interesting article a few months ago. Scans of the brains of strongly religious (or other strong faith-based system) people show many of the same prominent features as OCD patients. I find that interesting.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

The Bible Code, what a bunch of nonsense. As a Christian here's my view of the Bible, the Bible is a guide book not to history, not to the secrets of the universe but to salvation and eternal life. yes it is a book of prophecy and yes Revelation and other prophecies about the the end times are filled with strange images and the such like, but one must look past these and see what the Bible is really trying to say: accpet Jesus Christ as your saviour and accept his gift of grace and you will live forever in him.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    The Bible Code, what a bunch of nonsense. As a Christian here's my view of the Bible, the Bible is a guide book not to history, not to the secrets of the universe but to salvation and eternal life. yes it is a book of prophecy and yes Revelation and other prophecies about the the end times are filled with strange images and the such like, but one must look past these and see what the Bible is really trying to say: accpet Jesus Christ as your saviour and accept his gift of grace and you will live forever in him.
    I am not a Christian and don't believe that there is anything at all special about the Bible. But for those who do believe, you are exactly right: use the Bible as a key to "accept Jesus Christ as your saviour and accept his gift of grace and you will live forever in him." Going over the edge points out a lack of true belief and makes all religious people look silly.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

I read this book back in high school for some light reading one afternoon, and it was rather interesting. According to the authors, the book used the original Hebrew scrolls, or as close to them as they could get such as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Now I don't know whether it is true or not. There is a good argument that the bible codes are just an example of post prediction, or finding the predictions after the fact. But there is also some possibility that it is true, and that the bible codes are most than just coincidence.

This is something that you would have to take on faith.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thread Information