PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Arizona on a budget?

Hi, Just wondering if you can see the Grand Canyons on a budget. I like to know exactly where the best place would be to stay at, also, to avoid tourist traps would be helpful. What time of the year would be best.
    Thanks

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Arizona on a budget?

Quote Originally Posted by barb_48
    Hi, Just wondering if you can see the Grand Canyons on a budget. I like to know exactly where the best place would be to stay at, also, to avoid tourist traps would be helpful. What time of the year would be best.
    Thanks
    North Rim, camping, propane stove. The money saved can be put intonew camera equipment!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Stay with Rick. Not only will he cook and clean for you, but he will drive you where ever you need to go, and point out all the best super secret photo spots.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Damnit Adina you stole my joke!

Actually, Michael has it right. On the north rim camping, but the north rim closes in the winter and doesn't open until late spring/early summer.

The problem is, Grand Canyon is the world's most popular tourist destination. So you're going to have to keep that in mind while visiting here. Normal tourism rules apply: come in the off season, come during the week, and make your reservations early. I actually had a good time staying in a lodge on the south rim. In October the crowds were smallish. Oh, and don't forget the new Skywalk they just opened. I haven't been there yet.

The other thing to keep in mind is after 2 days, the Ditch gets old. So plan to see other things while you're here. The Painted Desert can be interesting. I recommend Page and Lake Powell. If you fly into Phoenix Sky Harbor, Sedona is an easy stop on your way to or from Grand Canyon. We did a 3-day weekend from Phoenix to Grand Canyon, first night on the south rim, second night in Sedona. It was a nice trip, with not too much driving, and plenty of beauty.

Let me know anything else I can help with.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks Walterick, I don't like camping so I will be looking for a hotel. Not sure if I want to fly or drive. Driving will be cheaper and I can see alot on the way their. Have to book my holidays and make a decision.
    Thanks everyone

Thread Information