PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Anza-Borrego ghost lights

I looked up the desert after seeing the tracks photo by GB and also found this which is kind of interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQLLDvsbnyw

Re: my do you believe in ghosts post, I don't but I do believe in things unexplained and strange lights is one of them as I have seen them several times, especially in native sweat lodges.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Anza-Borrego ghost lights

In most cases I have seen that have been intensely investigated, "ghost lights" are a form of mirage. Being in the desert helps a lot because the extreme temperature differences easily lends itself to refraction. The source for these mirages can be a long way off, many times, beyond the curve of the earth.

There is always the human urge to assign something supernatural to strange natural phenomena. Chasing after ghost lights reminds me of people who try to get to the end of a rainbow: it looks so real and attainable!

Interesting video though.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

GB1

Re: Anza-Borrego ghost lights

It's a new one on me ... I've been out to Borrego dozens and dozens of times and camped out there at least 20 nights,.. never seen any ghosts

Note that as dark as it is, there are small towns in the area and Palm Springs' lights are visible to the north (I know .. if there are any clouds, their light reflects off the clouds and can wash out your night pix ). There can also be light from vehicle headlights at night if you are camping close to the interstate.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information