PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Did you or will you get an iPhone?

I will not be getting one. My cell phone already does everything I want it to do, and that is to make and receive phone calls!!! I don't think we can even get the service you need for the iPhone in my area.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Did you or will you get an iPhone?

I was talking about it with a friend the other night, and we're both big iPod fans. We both feel the same way - we just need a phone to work when we need it. There have to be hundreds of millions of cell phones out there, so why are we still dealing with dropped calls?

One review I heard about the iPhone compared AT&T's wireless mobile internet to the speed of dial-up, but not as fast...

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I was talking about it with a friend the other night, and we're both big iPod fans. We both feel the same way - we just need a phone to work when we need it. There have to be hundreds of millions of cell phones out there, so why are we still dealing with dropped calls?

One review I heard about the iPhone compared AT&T's wireless mobile internet to the speed of dial-up, but not as fast...
    On slashdot today, Steve Jobs was reported as complaining that the speed of iPhone wireless data was much too slow, slower than the already second-rate Edge service. Huge price, over-hyped, glitz and little extra function. People should wait for the next version.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Personally, I think the people who rush in to buy one of these high priced toys, are going to be very disappointed. Many will switch thier cell service to AT&T so they can use them, and AT&T has one of the worst reputations in the wireless business. Of course, the buyers of the gadgets will show them off and act like they are on top of the world. I heard on the news today that the mayor, (I didn't catch the name of the city), was standing in line at one of the outlets that started selling them. Give them a year and the price will be down by about 40% and you'll be able to use them with any service. They may not exactly be an iphone but they will be similar and probably much better.

I agree, I want a cell phone that has a decent ringer (that sounds like a phone), and makes and receives calls from anywhere. That is what a phone should do.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I think that a lot of you are missing the point... but yeah I am an early adopter.

Stayed up all night, waited in line for 13 hours, and walked out with 2 beautiful 8GB iPhones. One for me, one for my mom's boss.

Right now since i'm switching back from Sprint (where my service was okay but my phones absolutely pitiful) to AT&T (my previous carrier, good enough service but again pitiful phones until today), they're running the credit check before activating.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

No, I won't. I'm with most of you who don't see the need. My phone makes calls, that's what I need from it. Oh, and it takes pictures too

When I am on the road, my Dell Axiom PDA covers the rest of it - wireless internet, address book, word processor, calendar, voice recorder, etc. And the sum of both my cell phone and PDA is half the cost of the Iphone.

I agree that the largest draw of the phone is the "new." Once the new wears off people might see it as superfluous. I am also a waiter when it comes to technology. The first model of anything released is usally the worst one to buy (cell phones, digial cameras, cars!) and in waiting you usually save yourself a headache.

I am waiting for my dream device: PDA/phone/GPS/XM/HD/MP3/with wireless internet and FM broadcaster built in. These are all handheld devices that we carry around anyway, and their technologies are already beginning to run together in today's devices. It's only a matter of time, I believe. Once my dream device comes out, I'll wait 2 years for the technology to stabilize, then buy in!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz

No Iphone for me. I just upgraded my Verizon - and got my first camera phone. Actually I don't need the camera, but it's a challenge to find a decent model without it. I have used the camera a few times - kind of fun, actually.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the internet while traveling that's not too costly - but doesn't take 5 minutes just to log on.

Liz

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I can think of many things I'd rather spend that kind of money on. They only serve to isolate us..
    Of course, I don't even have a cell phone and have yet to think of why I should get one, except that pay phones are going extinct.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Meh... I'm not big on cell phones. I don't think I'd get an iPhone even if they were selling for 30 bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Stayed up all night, waited in line for 13 hours, and walked out with 2 beautiful 8GB iPhones. One for me, one for my mom's boss.
    I wouldn't stand in line for 13 hours to buy anything, let alone a silly electronic device. Maybe I'd wait that long for a chance with Angelina Jolie, but that's about it.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

No, because I'm not switching companies. My cell number is -0000, and I'm not willing to lose that one.

Am getting a new phone though, my screen keeps blacking out. My new one will be pink.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Now, cell phones in general, that's another story. I haven't paid for land line service since 1999. My cell phone has been my only phone since then. Don't see the need for land lines these days except faxes - and I'm sure that will change shortly as well.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Don't see the need for land lines these days except faxes - and I'm sure that will change shortly as well.
    Faxes are such a pain - I'd prefer (as many people I deal with) to get a scanned copy by email. However, you do need a land line to hook up DSL internet service... Other options out there, but here the main one is cable and I guess it's pretty expensive - enough so that you might as well get a landline + DSL...

Strangely enough, I did see an iPhone yesterday morning. Yeah, they're neat but I just don't think they're $600 worth of neat. Obviously there are plenty of early adopters out there and we can thank them for helping version #2 be better and less expensive.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I have no research or evidence but I'll bet cell phones have killed more people than they've saved.
    My wife has one but can't even use it where we live.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    No, because I'm not switching companies. My cell number is -0000, and I'm not willing to lose that one.

Am getting a new phone though, my screen keeps blacking out. My new one will be pink.
    I ported my number over from Sprint just fine

This is by far the most usable device I've ever seen. It's so straightforward. No guessing about what to press, no lag, nothing. Worth it? IMHO undoubtedly. I may be a gearhead but all the people I know who have them are thrilled.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Nope, not me. Saw the line at Apple for them and it cracked me up in a snarky way. lol
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by adina

Not sure if it is an area thing or national, but you get to keep your number if you want. We switched carriers. Nextel to Cingular. We kept our old numbers. Mine is much like yours and I'm not willing to part with it.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

One of the big reasons I won't get an iPhone is because of the monthly bill, not to mention the initial cost. I don't use my cell phone enough to justify a $50+ bill every month. I switched over to a prepaid TracFone 6 months ago, and haven't looked back. The wife got it for me for Christmas, alone with a years worth of minutes. I think I started out with 300 or 400 minutes, I still have 198 left, and no monthly bill to pay. I realize that this option isn't the best for a lot of people, but it's working great for the wife and I.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information