PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Anyone Cross Country Ski?

Do any of you cross country ski? I want to give it a try, but I have NO clue what to even look for in equipment, other than something CHEAP! My budget is next to nothing so I'm looking at used gear. In fact, I'm going to look at some used ski's and boots this afternoon.

Any tips on what to look for? Are there different sized ski's for different sized people or are they all pretty much the same? I'm 6' tall, and weight about 240 if that helps at all. Are certain types of bindings better than others?

As you can see, my knowledge on this subject is pretty limited, so any help or advice you can give would be great.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Anyone Cross Country Ski?

I do a bit of XC skiing. There are different sizes of skis. I'm not familiar with how long you want them. The best thing to do is go rent equipment to try it out and learn. There's no need to invest in ski equipment at first. It's sort of a waste of money. And XC gear is usually pretty cheap to rent. Plus, the ski shop will be able to tell you everything you need to know. I haven't gone yet this season. But I will. And I'll rent.

It's great exercise and it's a wonderful way to get way out into the woods pretty quickly. I want to go now!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for the info PJ. I have decided not to go look at the used gear tonight. Instead I'm going to go snowshoeing with my dogs. I do want to give XC skiing a try, but it might have to wait till next year. I did check out a local ski resort to see if they rent gear, but the only thing I could find on their site was that they do have a XC trail, and you have to supply your own gear.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks for the info PJ. I have decided not to go look at the used gear tonight. Instead I'm going to go snowshoeing with my dogs. I do want to give XC skiing a try, but it might have to wait till next year. I did check out a local ski resort to see if they rent gear, but the only thing I could find on their site was that they do have a XC trail, and you have to supply your own gear.
    Look for a serious outdoor outfitter in your area. Do google search for XC ski rental. Renting is the way to go. I would discourage you from buying anything until youve rented and tried it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

The best, cheapest way is to go to a Nordic Ski Center and have them set you up with a day rental, maybe even a lesson. Nordic is much cheaper than downhill. If you like it, most centers have people who will bring you up to speed really fast.

I did that at a NSC in Fairplay, Colorado. It was OK and fun, but the next day I went back to snowshoes which I enjoyed much more.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Thread Information