PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Anybody use Google+ yet?

I just had an invitation to join the Google+ Beta. Has anybody tried it yet?

I have a healthy and very much alive Facebook account. My "Friends" include:

- Lots of models I've photographed (very active, lots of posts, I know what they are all doing)
    - A number of photographers and artists I've worked with (very active)
    - People I've met over the years in various social activities like the gym, salsa classes (a lot less active. I get invited to soirées by the organisers via Facebook which is practical)
    - Family (not very active)
    - Neighbours (not very active)

Strangely enough, none of my real "friends" are on Facebook. They don't trust it. In fact they aren't very skilled with computers.

Now - I've noticed that some of the models and photographers have two Facebook accounts, one personal and one professional. I was wondering if I could start a Google+ account just for the professional contacts. I use PICASA to distribute my photos to people, I show my photos on an Android tablet, so I'm already firmly in Google territory.

Anybody have enough experience with Google+ to be able to compare it with Facebook?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Anybody use Google+ yet?

I feel like its just more complicated than it needs to be. I've made my facebook profile uber private, and it gets any social networking I need done.

they have such a thing?

I would advise checking with your professional contacts to see how many of them use G+.

I have a profile on Google+. The GUI is different, but no more difficult once you adapt to it. It's biggest drawback seem to be a lack of popularity. My contacts are mostly family, with a few professional contacts.

One aspect I really like is the chat client. It just seems much more intuitive.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I use it as well. I think it's gaining popularity. I use it for my photography friends, Hey it's free why not try it?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I set up a profile a few weeks ago, but really haven't done anything with it. I listen to a lot of photography related podcasts and it seems that a lot of them are migrating from FB to G+. The ones who use it rave about it, but I just haven't gotten into it yet. I feel I waste too much time in front of a computer as it is, not sure I need another distraction from life.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I use it

it's easier to put people into "circles" than what it is in facebook to set the privacy

I use the circles to separate family (empty in both cases),photography, business, car enthusiasts, following

facebook is still more active, but I get a lot of uninteresting junk
    g+ has been picking up, mostly interesting stuff, I like how the gui is easy to navigate betwen photos, email, g+, web etc

I love it more than Facebook

Too bad it's not gonna catch on though

Thread Information