Anybody use Google+ yet?

Printable View

• 11-12-2011, 01:16 PM
    Franglais
    Anybody use Google+ yet?
    I just had an invitation to join the Google+ Beta. Has anybody tried it yet?

I have a healthy and very much alive Facebook account. My "Friends" include:

- Lots of models I've photographed (very active, lots of posts, I know what they are all doing)
    - A number of photographers and artists I've worked with (very active)
    - People I've met over the years in various social activities like the gym, salsa classes (a lot less active. I get invited to soirées by the organisers via Facebook which is practical)
    - Family (not very active)
    - Neighbours (not very active)

Strangely enough, none of my real "friends" are on Facebook. They don't trust it. In fact they aren't very skilled with computers.

Now - I've noticed that some of the models and photographers have two Facebook accounts, one personal and one professional. I was wondering if I could start a Google+ account just for the professional contacts. I use PICASA to distribute my photos to people, I show my photos on an Android tablet, so I'm already firmly in Google territory.

Anybody have enough experience with Google+ to be able to compare it with Facebook?
  • 11-12-2011, 02:14 PM
    DandelionGum
    Re: Anybody use Google+ yet?
    I feel like its just more complicated than it needs to be. I've made my facebook profile uber private, and it gets any social networking I need done.
  • 11-16-2011, 04:50 PM
    astarotte
    they have such a thing?
  • 11-25-2011, 10:42 PM
    Medley
    I would advise checking with your professional contacts to see how many of them use G+.

I have a profile on Google+. The GUI is different, but no more difficult once you adapt to it. It's biggest drawback seem to be a lack of popularity. My contacts are mostly family, with a few professional contacts.

One aspect I really like is the chat client. It just seems much more intuitive.
  • 11-26-2011, 03:34 AM
    Greg McCary
    I use it as well. I think it's gaining popularity. I use it for my photography friends, Hey it's free why not try it?
  • 11-26-2011, 06:47 AM
    mjs1973
    I set up a profile a few weeks ago, but really haven't done anything with it. I listen to a lot of photography related podcasts and it seems that a lot of them are migrating from FB to G+. The ones who use it rave about it, but I just haven't gotten into it yet. I feel I waste too much time in front of a computer as it is, not sure I need another distraction from life.
  • 11-26-2011, 10:18 AM
    armando_m
    I use it

it's easier to put people into "circles" than what it is in facebook to set the privacy

I use the circles to separate family (empty in both cases),photography, business, car enthusiasts, following

facebook is still more active, but I get a lot of uninteresting junk
    g+ has been picking up, mostly interesting stuff, I like how the gui is easy to navigate betwen photos, email, g+, web etc
  • 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM
    Brewha51
    I love it more than Facebook
  • 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM
    Brewha51
    Too bad it's not gonna catch on though