PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Goodbye Flash!

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Goodbye Flash!

Looks like Apple was right.

Adobe announced that Flash for mobile devices was being killed off. No more upgrades, no more development. There were too many problems getting it to work. What will they be concentrating on? HTML5 development!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

GB1

Re: Goodbye Flash!

This SUCKS. I use flash on my personal website, really like it because due to it being so easy to add new images w/o having to create a new HTML page (I use Flash Nifties).

Did they mention the reasons? It works on my Touchpad tablet, albeit not spectacularly.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

The problems were listed as the lack of stability, well-publicized security holes, and the massive use of battery-draining resources. Personally, I even have Flash shut off on my laptops. Adobe has never gotten it right. And I don't miss it.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2 View Post
    The problems were listed as the lack of stability, well-publicized security holes, and the massive use of battery-draining resources. Personally, I even have Flash shut off on my laptops. Adobe has never gotten it right. And I don't miss it.
    That is because once adobe bought macromedia, they tried to get flash to do things it wasn't designed to do (like video - it is supposed to be vector based!) and to use it to prevent people from stealing content - there is always a way to steal content if you are determined, relying on a format is just asking for trouble. Although to be fair the movie and music industries are still learning that lesson. The h.264 codec is so good at both ends of the compression spectrum that many developers simply weren't bothering with flash any more. Especially given that this often meant a site that wouldn't work with the ipad / iphone or having to code a separate site for apple devices. Security is an interesting one, yes it is insecure, but really no more so than java.

HTML 5 might be a pain for some developers to learn short term, but it offers so much more than a format that was trying to do things it simply wasn't designed to achieve.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

flash usually lags on my phone

I hate flash it's awful

In addition it makes your phone run hot as well

Thread Information