• 12-16-2007, 10:20 AM
    physasst
    Any other guitar heads here???
    Granted, I don't even play half as much as I used to, having a wife and a little girl has limited that. Not to mention a busy practice schedule. BUT, when I was younger, I played almost continuously, and actually payed for a good part of my undergrad by playing in a heavy metal band. Some VERY wild times. I sold some of my gear, but I still have my custom ESP, a BC Rich, my Martin acoustic, and my Septra 125 combo amp. I used to have a few more guitars, and a real nice set up with a Marshall 4 x12 cabinet with celestian speakers, with a Peavey 5150 head. Used to have a MIDI setup too, but sold all that. Any one else???
  • 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM
    mjs1973
    Re: Any other guitar heads here???
    I own a few guitars, and can play a couple cords, but that's about it. I still have the dream of learning to play, but haven't invested the time to practice...
  • 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM
    another view
    Yep - but I'm a bass player. I do have an acoustic guitar but I don't know if I can really say I play it! Been at it a little over 20 years and most of it in working bands. We have a big New Year's show coming up and usually keep it at about one show a month. Most of the time I play 5-strings and have two that go to every gig, as well as a few 4-strings that come out once in awhile.

Big fan of the Musicman basses, and 95% of the time I'm playing a single-pickup Bongo. BMW designed the body shape and came up with that project name. The company building it liked the name and kept it!
  • 12-16-2007, 11:56 AM
    physasst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Yep - but I'm a bass player. I do have an acoustic guitar but I don't know if I can really say I play it! Been at it a little over 20 years and most of it in working bands. We have a big New Year's show coming up and usually keep it at about one show a month. Most of the time I play 5-strings and have two that go to every gig, as well as a few 4-strings that come out once in awhile.

Big fan of the Musicman basses, and 95% of the time I'm playing a single-pickup Bongo. BMW designed the body shape and came up with that project name. The company building it liked the name and kept it!

Musicman basses are pretty nice. I actually played the other day for the first time in a few weeks. Played some AIC, Megadeth, and Metallica. Tried to play some Iron Maiden, but, my timing was just off a little. The friggin guitar harmonies that group can pull are out of this world. Just got back from a 5 mile run, and looking at it..the guitar that is.....maybe I'll strum a little tonight.

I used to teach, at least a little, one or two students here and there...kept my head fresh with theory, but it's been so long now. I think I'd have a difficult time now. :thumbsup:
  • 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM
    zrfraser
    No guitars, but I have been playing drums for about 13 years now. I had to sell my set of Premiers about 3 years abo to pay for car insurance. I still bang stuff out on a practice pad to keep my chops up, but haven't played a full kit in about a year and a half.
  • 12-16-2007, 02:06 PM
    schrackman
    I've been playing guitar for 20 years, but like you I was much more active in my younger years than now. In fact, I should be a whole lot better at it than I actually am. But I can play enough chords to do specials in church and that's all right with me.

I used to have a Fender Squire Strat and BC Rich that got stolen several years ago. That really hurt because the BC Rich was an awesome guitar. Now I simply play on a Yamaha Patriot electric and Yamaha Silent Guitar with a Line 6 15 watt amp. I've got Cubase on my computer also for recording little didleys that I come up with from time to time.
  • 12-16-2007, 02:21 PM
    jorgemonkey
    I play as often as I can, which isn't very often. I've got a couple Epiphone guitars (1 acoustic, 1 Epiphone SG (my favorite), Epiphone Les Paul Custom) and another guitar (I gotta dig it out) which was about a $1000 guitar I got from an online store as a "Bent & Dent" special for $200. I still can't find the dent :)

I play out of a Marshall combo amp (80w) but it sounds good. Favorite style to play is stuff like the Offspring, Green Day, New Found Glory, Taking Back Sunday, Velvet Revolver, G n R, STP, a bunch of alt rock stuff from early/mid 90s
  • 12-16-2007, 07:29 PM
    physasst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    I've been playing guitar for 20 years, but like you I was much more active in my younger years than now. In fact, I should be a whole lot better at it than I actually am. But I can play enough chords to do specials in church and that's all right with me.

I used to have a Fender Squire Strat and BC Rich that got stolen several years ago. That really hurt because the BC Rich was an awesome guitar. Now I simply play on a Yamaha Patriot electric and Yamaha Silent Guitar with a Line 6 15 watt amp. I've got Cubase on my computer also for recording little didleys that I come up with from time to time.

yeah the BC Rich's just rock...put out a SICK sound. Great guitars, sorry to hear about yours getting stolen...that really sucks...
  • 12-16-2007, 08:37 PM
    Skyman
    Does the air guitar count?
  • 12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
    photophorous
    I've been playing about 15 years, but I stink. I got my Taylor out the other day and it just made me sad because I realized how soft my fingers have gotten. Photography has kind of taken over as my number one hobby in the past couple of years. I can hardly remember any of the songs I used to play. :( Hopefully, I'll find the time to get back into it one day.
  • 12-21-2007, 12:29 PM
    schrackman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by physasst
    yeah the BC Rich's just rock...put out a SICK sound. Great guitars, sorry to hear about yours getting stolen...that really sucks...

And to think I only paid $400 bucks for it at the time. It was custom made, pearl white in color, had all sorts of small knobs and little switches to change the tone of the dual humbuckers, and a Kahler tremolo that was an absolutely joy to use. I also used to have a Sun analog head, and when I put those two together the crunch was amazing. I can't even get close to it now with my current setup.
  • 12-21-2007, 01:31 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    I also used to have a Sun analog head, and when I put those two together the crunch was amazing. I can't even get close to it now with my current setup.

I used to have a late 70's Ampeg SVT rig - 300w, all tubes... I think that thing dislocated my kneecaps a couple of times. Tube watts = ridiculously loud, but my current 3200w solid state rig would keep up with it! :D Used to have a Sunn cab, but never had one of their amps.
  • 01-08-2008, 03:16 AM
    RP Racing
    Trying to learn guitar (due to the shift I work, its kinda impossible to find an instructor on my hours). Mine is a home built strat copy with 2 seymour Duncan SH6's. Funny I can build them better than I play them.:biggrin5: Played bass a bit 20 yrs ago. Probably about 6 months before I lost interest.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...0/DSC_5174.JPG
  • 01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RP Racing
    Funny I can build them better than I play them

Same story with Leo Fender... :)

Looks like a nice build. I haven't done much of that myself other than simple modifications and repairs. All of my basses (and one of my straps) have white pearloid!
  • 01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
    RP Racing
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Same story with Leo Fender... :)

Looks like a nice build. I haven't done much of that myself other than simple modifications and repairs. All of my basses (and one of my straps) have white pearloid!

Next ones gonna be a neck thru. Thinking V shape with SG horns.