Any Idol fans?
    Who's it gonna be this week?
  • 03-20-2006, 10:45 AM
    mwfanelli
    Re: Any Idol fans?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Who's it gonna be this week?

Ah... I watch it in the beginning to see all the massively deluded people. Once they have real talent, its just to boring for me. My guess the next to go will be either male or female, no sure which.
  • 03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
    another view
    Oh yeah! Rebel Yell, White Wedding - classics! Eyes Without A Face was soooo underrated...

:p
  • 03-20-2006, 09:20 PM
    walterick
    Cynics!

I thought the girl voted off last week had to go. The other two that need to go are the scrawny kid with glasses and the car mechanic. How did they get this far? The girl with the big boo-tay has to win it, she's the best :D

I watch HBO, TLC and Discovery if anything at all, normally. But for some reason I am hooked this year on American Idol.

When I was a kid I used to get Billy Idol and David Bowie mixed up!
  • 03-22-2006, 07:36 AM
    walterick
    Dude, it's so Bucky this week! I guarantee it! :D
  • 03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
    adina
    I got sucked into the early auditions this year. But like Michael, once they get to talent, the draw of the train wreck is over.
  • 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
    ken1953
    Hey...the scrawny kid, Kevin I think, is coooool...I think he ought to go all the way, simply for the underdog in all of us. And he does have a fairly good voice. hehe...this year is hard because for the first time...there is some real talent on the show...but odds are...they will get voted off soon. I guess being a vocalist, I get a little involved in these types of competitions.
    Ken
  • 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM
    walterick
    Oh, Ken, dios mio. Kevin is the next one that has to go right after Bucky :D
  • 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
    ken1953
    Well...Kevin goes before Bucky... :-( ... But I see this kid doing great things...he's got moxey and a good voice...and people seem to like him...kind of like Screech....hehe
    Oh well...I've always been a rebel...and fight for the underdog!!!!!!!!!
    Ken
  • 03-22-2006, 08:51 PM
    walterick
    Ken, I was surprised to see Kevin go. Though I didn't like him, he seemed to have a large following. "Chicken Little" lol. How do you feel about them making the kids sing right after they're been voted off? Seems a little harsh to me.

Yes, Bucky is next. Then probably Lisa. After that, they're all VERY talented so I don't know who...

Ooh, the drama ;)
  • 03-23-2006, 08:24 AM
    ken1953
    Rick...I do like the idea. It gives them one last time on camera. I just wish they'd be allowed to sing anything they want. To hear the performance that got them booted off is kind of like rubbing salt in the wound. And they should allow the final performance to be completed before ending the program. Many of those voted off in the past have gone back into obscurity, but I think this years crop will be heard from well after the season is over.
    Bucky...yeah...should be gone already...but...oh well...Idol fans are fickle!!!!! hahaha
    Ken
  • 03-23-2006, 01:50 PM
    payn817
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Oh yeah! Rebel Yell, White Wedding - classics! Eyes Without A Face was soooo underrated...

:p

I thought that's what this thread was gonna be too.

Shame on you for the Bowie/Idol confusion! Especially after that "movie"...ugh
  • 03-23-2006, 07:56 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by payn817
    Shame on you for the Bowie/Idol confusion! Especially after that "movie"...ugh

C'mon, they both have blonde, spikey hair. And British accents. And when you're 8 they're hard to tell apart.

BTW, what movie? Labrynth?
  • 03-23-2006, 09:53 PM
    Lava Lamp
    Quote:

C'mon, they both have blonde, spikey hair. And British accents. And when you're 8 they're hard to tell apart.

Bowie was in some "real" Oscar-type movies, too. I read somewhere that he is a billionaire (with a B.)

My kids (9 & 11) are learning about Davie Bowie (and Ozzy, Queen, Jimi Hendrix and more) 'cause we got a Playstation game called Guitar Hero that comes with a guitar thing that has five buttons at the frets, a button you strum, and a whammy bar.

We watch Idol religously (but I ain't proud of it.) Love Chris Daughtrey and Taylor Hicks...
  • 03-24-2006, 05:42 AM
    payn817
    Quote:

Just giving you a hard time :p

Yeah, that's the movie. I won't even say the title it was so bad. A friend of mine thought he was "hot" in that movie...lmfao!!
  • 03-24-2006, 08:14 AM
    walterick
  • 03-24-2006, 08:17 AM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp

We watch Idol religously (but I ain't proud of it.)

Boy wear that fact like a BADGE!

I like Taylor as well. He could definitely make a living at this the rest of his life. He has such great energy. I was in the other room when he started singing Michael McDonald and I really thought it was him until I came in the room.
  • 03-24-2006, 08:18 AM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by payn817
    Just giving you a hard time :p

Yeah, that's the movie. I won't even say the title it was so bad. A friend of mine thought he was "hot" in that movie...lmfao!!

Uh, I kinda liked it. But then I was 8...
  • 03-27-2006, 11:22 PM
    paulnj
    Paris, Taylor and Chris are the TALENT on that show, the rest is filler :)

ManDEISEL has a good voice, but we don't need another martha wash :)

Paris.. my nubian princess ..... will get a deal reguardless of winning or not, as will Chris.

Taylor so rocks, but I don't know if he could draw the fan base that Paris and Chris can.

SHHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone that I watch the show ;)
  • 03-27-2006, 11:36 PM
    JSPhoto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    Ah... I watch it in the beginning to see all the massively deluded people. Once they have real talent, its just to boring for me. My guess the next to go will be either male or female, no sure which.

REAL TALENT? There is as much talent on this stupid show as there is in the White House AND Capitol Hill! Neither one is worth watching, but at times the House and Senate are more entertaining. With the present leadership of this country and the TV shows it's no wonder the country is in the shape it is......:mad: It's all worthless garbage.

JS
  • 03-28-2006, 07:37 AM
    swmdrayfan
    My wife and daughter watch religiously. Me--I've seen about 10 seconds of it (it reminds me of 'Ted Mack's Original Amatuer Hour'. I'm very much against "reality" TV, although I like to watch The Amazing Race from time to time. All of these shows are ratings driven, and aside from maybe "Extreme Makeover-Home Edition", serve no real purpose. What's so entertaining about watching people driven to tears by insults? IMHO, television has a severe quality problem. Add to that the constant shuffling of time slots, and the infuriating habit of airing one new episode of a show every 5 or 6 weeks. ABC is killing LOST with that tactic. People are losing interest because they never know when a new episode will be aired. Personally, I tend to watch the History Channel, National Geographic Channel, Discovery Network...things of that nature. I would like to see a Photography Channel someday.
    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it;)
    John
  • 03-28-2006, 08:11 AM
    Lara
    Hmm, personally I find it hard to believe that out of hundreds of thousands of entrants for Idol, the contestants they picked are the best? There has to be better singers.

I'm with you John, I keep loosing track of and interest in Lost. We never know when we are going to see the next episode. Is it me, or have the last couple episodes that WERE aired, lacking the quality of the previous episodes?
  • 03-28-2006, 09:58 AM
    swmdrayfan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara
    I'm with you John, I keep loosing track of and interest in Lost. We never know when we are going to see the next episode. Is it me, or have the last couple episodes that WERE aired, lacking the quality of the previous episodes?

Lara, I can remember when the only time you'd see re-runs was in the summer. In this age of instant gratification and speed,speed,speed, it seems that the entertainment industry is really going downhill. TV broadcast news isn't the same since Cronkite, Huntley & Brinkley, etc. were on. Ed Murrow must be rolling in his grave. My wife won't watch a movie unless something's blowing up. (Boy, do I sound like an old fogey or what) Sad to say, I believe it's being reflected in other areas of society too.
  • 03-28-2006, 11:06 AM
    Lara
    I remember too John, so you can call me an old fogey as well. ;)
    Series used to run from September through the end of April or was it May? Now we're lucky to get 12 episodes in one season, and I betcha it's all due to the ridiculous amounts of money these actors are paid.

Reality shows make me wanna puke (sorry about that) but it's true. There must be more of that trash than any other genre on TV.

I do catch a few of the old time movies on AMC every now and then. Just watched "From the Terrace" the other day. I love the oldies!! I could go on about good the old days TV shows too, but I won't. Suffice it to say, there were some treasures.
  • 03-28-2006, 12:24 PM
    swmdrayfan
    AMC tends to get about 4 movies and play them endlessly.....right now it's Sharkey's Machine...

I prefer TCM.........uninterrupted classics...the only way to go.
  • 03-28-2006, 01:10 PM
    Lara
    Unfortunately, we don't get TCM :( We used to.
  • 03-28-2006, 03:08 PM
    JSPhoto
    I can't get cable OR sat here. The cable ends 1/4 mile away and the cable companie claims it costs $12,000 to run it to my house....and the neighbors won't cut their tress down so a sat will work......Oh well.

JS
  • 03-28-2006, 06:58 PM
    ken1953
    Well, sitting here watching it and only Elliott is left to sing. So far, I have to agree with Simon, there hasn't been a decent performance all night long. I think Paris, so far, has been the closest to a good performance. Well, Elliot is now singing and he rounds out the night with a mediocre performance, so I guess I have to say this week sucked!! Vote them all off!!! hehe
    Ken
  • 03-28-2006, 08:05 PM
    walterick
    Yeah I was going to post and say they all pretty much sucked tonight but you beat me to it :) Mandisa to me is the best, voice and performer. Paris was good, Chris was good, the rest were okay. It's like, if they don't have a coach working with them every week they blow it? They must have all been reading this thread...

Lisa, Bucky, Ace, and Eliot are the next 4 to go imo.
  • 03-30-2006, 07:07 PM
    walterick
    I missed the results show last night. I was suprised to hear that Katherin was in the bottom 3. I always thought she was top 5.

What's Bucky still doing in there?
  • 04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
    walterick
    Hmm... is it just me or are the contestants getting steadily worse every week?

Here's my take on the contestants. Though I may be talking to myself at this point...

Taylor: great performer & great entertainer, poor performances the last few weeks
    Mandisa: my favorite until last night, I think she has a great stage presence and the best voice in the bunch
    Ace: his rendition of MJ's "Butterflies" was awesome, since then I think unless he's using his falsetto he's subpar. I also think someone reinforced his "seduction" look to the point that he has grown accustomed to using that instead of singing the song
    Bucky: please get this kid off my show.
    Paris: true star power, she's got what it takes. I don't like her "I've got this competition won" attitude though.
    Chris: dude belongs in front of a rock band. Glad to see he could sing last night. Look for him to be in the next Pearl Jam.
    Kelly: dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. I hear her sing well every few episodes, but she can't hold it.
    Eliott: I thought he brought it up a notch last night. I'm ambivalent about his singing though.
    Katharine: ah, sweet Katharine. I had to hide my expression from the gf last night. My new favorite, and the only one to improve weekly imo. She has star power. My biggest problem with her is, we already have a Kelly Clarkson!

Okay, done talking to myself :D
  • 04-05-2006, 09:10 PM
    paulnj
    The truth of the matter....
    ManDIESEL was voted off for wearing clothing that made her ass look bigger than it is.. and it's big!

Poor clothing choice got her, not poor song choice.

BTW... Paris does not have that I'M HERE TIL THE END attitude, she is just a young girl who loves to sing.. and boy can she.

WHY IS BUCKY THERE STILL??????? Get rid of ACE too ;)
  • 04-06-2006, 07:04 AM
    ken1953
    I really hate that they throw these performers into areas that they are not comfortable in. I couldn't believe the bottom 3 last night...the best "technical" singers with the best voices were all in the bottom 3.
    I think the only reason Bucky made it was because it was "country" week and he did an o.k. performance. But nothing to make him "IDOL" material. Oh well...
    Paris...her only problem is that as you said...she's only 16...Like many younger people, she may be getting tired of all the negatives thrown at her because she hasn't had to deal with a lot of that kind of attitude in her life, because she is so good. A few more years of people like Simon and she'll build that hard shell needed to survive in a competition like IDOL.
    I liked Ryan's comment to Simon...He's not there to judge the song...he's there to judge the performance and although I frequently agree with him on many technical aspects...I think he lets his personal "judgement" interfere with his "professional duties"!
    Oh well...only 2 performers did well this week, and they were the ones who should stick with country when this all over!!!
    Ken
  • 04-06-2006, 08:47 AM
    walterick
    Re: The truth of the matter....
    Mandisa can't help it if god made her booty big :) She was the best singer imo, and got booted because it was country week.

Paris urks me, I don't know why. I think she needs to get some years under her belt first. I think she is probably the best singer up there now. But she needs to start hitting it, like the rest of them do.

YES get rid of Bucky and then Ace! And once Elliott goes I think you have a competition full of stars!
  • 04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
    walterick
    Ken our jaws hit the floor when they announced which group was the bottom three. We thought that Paris's group was sure-fire safe. Like you said, they had the best technical singers. I guess the producers did a good job of raising the drama :)

I agree about Bucky. If it had been Queen week this week he'd be toast. I secretly wanted to see him get booted off during Country week :) Man, I'm mean! :D
  • 04-06-2006, 10:52 AM
    Stillsky
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara
    Hmm, personally I find it hard to believe that out of hundreds of thousands of entrants for Idol, the contestants they picked are the best? There has to be better singers.

There is so much more talent, but American Idol isn't really about talent, it's about money and marketing. Not only that, but Paula Abdul is one of the people that decides who's in. Based on her career, I wouldn't consider her one of the top candidates for the position she's in on that show. The sad fact is that they have 3 people who were, at best, mediocre in their respective fields of the music business deciding this country's best talent. Most of the real talent wouldn't bother showing their face at an American Idol audition.
  • 04-06-2006, 11:40 AM
    paulnj
    I am not a ghetto booty hater at all, but man oh man.... that outfit must have been picked a few weeks ago by STEVEY WONDER. It made her rump look twice as big. She also had the most rediculous song that wasn't making her voice shine.

Dude... we can arm wrestle to see who's right about that young nubian princess Paris ;) She has a very good voice and (usually) entertains too.

I was also hoping Bucky hit the streets on country week, because his song BLEW. Why didn't anyone sing "The King is Gone", "Choices", "He stopped loving her today" or "Cold Hard Truth" by George Jones ;) That was a sham !!!
  • 04-06-2006, 12:16 PM
    Lara
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillsky
    There is so much more talent, but American Idol isn't really about talent, it's about money and marketing. Not only that, but Paula Abdul is one of the people that decides who's in. Based on her career, I wouldn't consider her one of the top candidates for the position she's in on that show. The sad fact is that they have 3 people who were, at best, mediocre in their respective fields of the music business deciding this country's best talent. Most of the real talent wouldn't bother showing their face at an American Idol audition.

I think you hit the nail right on the head on both the money and marketing.
    The judges are useless. For all they are worth, they should just record their two opinions and have them played back. They needn't show up for the shows. :rolleyes:
  • 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    Dude... we can arm wrestle to see who's right about that young nubian princess Paris ;) She has a very good voice and (usually) entertains too.

Dude, you're so on :) Bring it to Phoenix boy!

I agree about Mandisa's outfits. She wore black in the first several shows and it helped deemphasize that bootay. But I still think she's a great singer and a beautiful lady who didn't deserve to be kicked off last night :)

Paris is a great singer and performer, I'm not arguing that with you. She's just a bit young :)
  • 04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
    walterick
    The judges have value. They were chosen to 1) bring sensationalism to the show, 2) bring professional opinions to the show. I think they accomplish both :) One thing they do NOT do is decide who goes and stays though. They can certainly influence people's votes, but it's the voters out there who pick the winners. If the judges had their way, I doubt that you'd be looking at the lineup you're looking at now.

It really is a brilliant concept, if you think about it. Have America vote for the person they like, then give that person a recording contract. Think they're going to sell records? You betcha :)