PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Idol fans?

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Any Idol fans?

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    It's all noise.
    All the music on AI? Or the kinds of music Paul and I are talking about?

Now you have me curious about what you listen to Almo
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

... Has it occurred to anyone else that we have had more heated debate over music and American Idol in this forum than we have over politics, religion, or sex?

Just taking note
    Walter Rick Long

I am anti pointless crap. There's a major difference.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    All the music on AI? Or the kinds of music Paul and I are talking about?

Now you have me curious about what you listen to Almo
    Well at the moment I am listening to the Scorpions Crazy World LP. I have been on a slight Paula Cole kick, as well as Madrugada, Philip Roebuck, and Granddaddy.

But to be quite clear. It's not the music I am refering to as "noise", even though there is an obvious correlation there, what I am actually refering to is the nonsence. The white noise of society. The Static that this country has become so enamored with. It's a term that I believe was coined by Bill Bennett. AI is not the noise in and of itself, it is simply just another log on the fire. It just happens to be one of the most visable.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I have been on a Pantera,fear factory,mudvayne, twista, pitbull, 50 cent, george jones kick Why limt one's self .It all depends on my mood, which is ever changing.

George jones, luther vandross and eric clapton are good to chear up my day.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Well, I've been on an Elmo, Cookie Monster & Big Bird kick myself...with the occasional Wicked soundtrack thrown in, when my 4 year old will let me listen to it.

Emily

P.S. I should add that she was listening to Y.M.C.A. & Shout today though...so at least there's SOME variety...hehe.

Well I got ya all beat. Just came home from a third grade recorder concert.

Rock baby yeah!
    Walter Rick Long

Whatever makes you shake yo hips ;)

I've got primus crankin right now, but was just listening to george jones "the king is gone"

I come from a musical family and my first concert was elton john in central park at like 8YRS old ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    my first concert was elton john in central park at like 8YRS old ;)
    Lucky duck. Mine was Weird Al Yankovich at the Rusty Rudder, Dewey Beach Delaware. I was a freshman in high school

Dude, I haven't listened to Primus in ages! Did you know he tried out for the bass position in Metallica after Cliff?
    Walter Rick Long

I have seen Cliff in concert and Les Claypool a few times, I went to 3 metallica concerts back to back and have seen them 13 times. My favorite concert was by far Pantera at the roseland in NYC though. Nothing like a small show . being as I have limewire, I have primus covering master of puppets

I tried last month to get tickets to george jones, but it was sold out 5 months in advance! He only plays a few smaller shows in the east too.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

What's limewire?

I missed Pantera. I am embarrassed to say that.

NIN was my second concert, then Metallica. Metallica did like 5 encores. We kept leaving and then had to turn around and go back for more

I miss small venues. I used to hit up the DC ska scene a lot. There were like 15 people in a club sometimes. Ah, those were the days
    Walter Rick Long

Pentax Forum Moderator

My first concert, I was in the 8th grade in San Diego at the Coliseum. I was wearing a white silk Nehru shirt with black/gold brocade collar, hehe...the concert was Beach Boys, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and the Human Beinz. Fantastic concert...hehe...My favorite concert is a toss up between Clapton in Honolulu 1974 (?) and The Moody Blues in Phoenix 1986 (?).
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I saw the Beach Boys at the ripe old age of 22

A few weeks ago we saw a bunch of bands at the Tempe Music Festival. Gin Blossoms, Vertical Horizon, G Love, Train, and the John Mayer Trio. Of those, I hate Train's music the most but they put on a really damn good show. They did a Zepplin cover as well as Aerosmith's Dream On. I was impressed
    But I still don't like their music! ;)
    Walter Rick Long

limewire is a P2P(pear to pear) file sharing program. It's pretty good, but you need to set it up so you don't share files you'd rather not (images and personal documents).

You can get feature movies there too ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I saw the Beach Boys at the ripe old age of 22

A few weeks ago we saw a bunch of bands at the Tempe Music Festival. Gin Blossoms, Vertical Horizon, G Love, Train, and the John Mayer Trio. Of those, I hate Train's music the most but they put on a really damn good show. They did a Zepplin cover as well as Aerosmith's Dream On. I was impressed
    But I still don't like their music! ;)
    A lot of good music in Tempe. When I saw Moody Blues, it was at the Arizona State Fair, for free...well...except for the cost to get into the fair. I was sitting right in front of the sound mixer...talk about perfect spot!!! Only place better would have been right next the sound guy...hehe...I haven't really been to any concerts since that weekend.
    I saw Aerosmith in Hawaii just after they put out Dream On...Awesome concert....We wouldn't let them leave the stage, but they had played their whole repetoire. The were the #2 group for one of my favorite groups of all time, "The Guess Who"...sad to say, after Aerosmith, they were kind of a let down. haha
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Heh heh. We're not the only ones who think Paula has been drinking!

http://people.aol.com/people/article...187004,00.html

And Ruben Studdard picks Taylor Hicks to win the compeition this year:

http://people.aol.com/people/article...187070,00.html

Tonight, I say the worst singers are going to get called out, when their voices are really put to the test. I think that means Kelly is going to go this week. She has the country fan base behind her though which makes it tough. I think Elliott may find a reprieve this week though I don't care for him to win. He has that very distinct vibrato which may actually be useful in Opera week. And Taylor may not be able to use his "performance power" if he's singing out of his comfort range, so he may be in trouble. Katherine, Chris, and Paris should all claen up though.

Thoughts?
    Walter Rick Long

Well I hope Taylor is not the winner he would be my last choice. Kelly I hope she goes soon also. I hope it comes down to Paris and Chris with Chris winning in the end, but as we all seen last week that may not happen. Well that is my prediction for the week!!
    Kim

Bottom three this week are Kelly, Elliot and Taylor.Kelly to be booted I hope!!!!!!!!

Switch out Elliot and add in Katherine who so sucked tonight. Besides dressing like a $500 hooker, she was unbearable ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

noooooooooooooooo

Katherine was not that bad! And does anyone else NOT GET the whole Elliott thing? Why do those guys love him so much?!

I hate to be mean, but I have to say this:
    If Kelly Pickler had a butt half the size of Mandisa's, she would never have made this competition. She CANNOT SING! Worst performance of the night goes to Kelly Pickler! Get this girl outta here!

We voted for Paris (best of the night), Chris, and Taylor, not because he did well but because we like him.

Katherine has a great voice, I think she's just always nervous??

Tonight's bottom three: Taylor, Kelly, and Katherine. And it had BETTER be Kelly!

Walter Rick Long

Pentax Forum Moderator

I missed Paris, due to an urgent nature call but I can honestly say this...If she's in the bottom 3 this week, I'm returning my 2 music degrees and giving up watching idol...we called it when we said this would bring out the bad singers...It did that. I didn't like any of the others, but of them...I'd have to say Katherine did the best musically speaking. Elliot...hmmm...ok...Chris...nah...Taylor...yech.. .Pickled Kelly...she needs to go...I don't think even the country contigency can save her this week. That was worse than some of the Jr. High recitals I've seen. hehe...oh well...we'll see tonight...
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Hey Ken if you ever make it back to Phoenix can you give me a few voice lessons?

I really suck
    Walter Rick Long

So do I, and I always will ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

OK. she wasn't the worst by far, because Kelly had that title in the first 5 seconds. Kelly is cute and I see her getting a REALITY show in the future, but voice wise she is OK at best. Remember though, Country music isn't all voice ;)

Katherine's dress was a bit too revealing.. I was watching it on a 60" TV ;)

Dude is that opera guy blind or just wierd? He looked and acted blind, but knew Kelly was blonde( maybe blonde jokes made it to Italy too) Either way, he could belt out a great tune, but I will never be a fan.

Yes, I think elliot is blown up way too much

Let's face it though, Chris has a real style that's marketable and Paris is the best BY FAR

Don't knock the ghetto booty pal ;) Nothing wrong with alittle junk in the trunk
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Dude, I got love for da getto booty!

What I'm saying is, Mandisa was one of the best singers in the bunch. THE best, imo. The reason she got the boot was the size of her junk. What I'm saying about Kelly is, she is still in the competition because she is cute, not because she can sing. It is not a contest of singers

Kelly her own reality show... only if it was like "The Simply Life" where her job was to act dumb and screw stuff up. That's the only role I could see her doing well.

Yeah we wondered what was going on with Andrea because his eyes were always closed. Then we realized he was blind He sure called Pickler's hair color! ANybody have any background on this guy?

Hey, why haven't we talked about Paula Abdul's tearful responce to Elliott. "You move me!" What was that about? One week she's a drunk sorority girl dancing on the judges table and the next week she's Barbara Steisand in Prince of Tides? I don't get it?

Chris will be in a band, I don't see him singing solo at all. Paris needs a few more years under her belt but she is coming along. I think she's grown a lot just in this competition. Landing in the bottom 3 once woke her up.
    Walter Rick Long

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information